The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Found this in my Tumblr feed. Doesn’t it look like a certain somebody?
4e961a65-c13f-4ec0-b2aa-e5791fb04d51

4 Likes

I think they have the rights to namedrop the characters (Oni and Black Widow are mentioned in Hugo or Alex’s ending in Third Strike, IIRC), they just can’t feature Hara’s designs.

Poison should have never been in SF5.

So, will Tormo make it in??

Yeah, after I gave a thought about it… yeah, I think starting with the 3NG cast wouldn’t be such a good idea. SF5 introduced so many characters worthy of continuation (such as Ed, Menat, Kolin, G, maybe even Akira, some others were well-liked, like Laura, and I would say Rashid’s staying is healthy because of the Arab representation), that the 3rd Strike cast isn’t that necessary anymore.

But as for the II characters, I still think many of those characters should start to be permanently retired, with some others still be given a second or third priority like they did in SFV.

• Characters that should probably forever continue on (first priority): Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Guile, Zangief (but Haggar would be nice to have once in for a chance; then give Zangief third priority temporarily)
  • Could continue on first or second priority: Akuma
  • Could continue on second priority: Cammy, Fei Long
  • Could continue on third priority: Vega, Sagat, Dhalsim
  • Should be almost permanently retired: Blanka, E. Honda, Dee Jay, T. Hawk, Balrog
  • Shouldn’t appear at all in SF6: Bison (then in later chapters maybe given third priority)

I think none of the Shadaloo Devas should appear in SF6, actually.

They could start introducing a Sagat’s successors, by the way.

Also, do you think they could introduce a disciple for Chun-Li in SF6 (Ryu has Sakura, Ken has Sean, Guile has Remy as a sort of replacement, and Dhalsim has Necro as a replacement)?

I also believe characters from IV, namely C. Viper and probably Abel, will make it in (it’s weird because plotwise, Abel WAS a prominent character in SFV and should totally have been playable) O.O

1 Like

The pragmatic in me thinks Capcom wont do anything super bold regarding the cast for SF6, specially if you factor in the problematic launch that 5 had and how long it took them to take it to a really good state. Of course, I am aware the issues that 5 had were different, but my point is that I dont believe Capcom is willing to be risky for the launch of SF6 after what happened with 5. Am I saying we will have a repeat of SF4? of course not, but dont expect a Tekken 3 (or SF3NG) situation.

It’s like impossible to hope something more than SF and Mahvel especially in this current state, that Ono is out. Is it Ono the one that is stopping multiple fighters being release? I believe no. It’s just the current business practice of Capcom to avoid it’s own fighting game brands that plays closely to each other to compete with each other.

I don’t think it was Ono holding back to release a new DS, new RS or whatsoever we can think about.

Unless some of you guys would welcome the idea of having arena fighters like Bamco does to tons of anime and non-flagship fighters.

Or something that SNK did with SNK heroines. This isn’t the era of experimentation anymore fighting game companies know very well there target audience unlike the 90s, So they are now more focus on what people want.

KOF isn’t the same to Samsho. SNK know nowadays the right and success formula of their fighters brand. It’s not the variants Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting or the bunch of Neo Geo titles.

They know the success formula is being what people regularly plays KOF98 and KOF2002, then there’s Garou and Samsho.

They already know were Samsho place is and what Samsho should be rather be than it tries to be any other trendy fighter. Samsho loss it’s identity for years and now they know the essential of samsho and know they should stick on it. Instead of it trying to be something else.

SNK could release even a New Fatal Fury but not a refined 2D fighter would probably work as 3D arena or something very casual like heroines.

If we would see a new Fatal Fury, Real Bout or Art of Fighting that is trying to be in the competitive scene, that would essentially be inspired by Garou refined 2D gameplay.

So the glory days of companies releasing multiple fighters in a year to compete with their own brand like in the 90s ain’t coming back, It’s gonna be what gameplay people would ask for then would be rebrand after with a new sets of rosters and stages with, a bit of new mechanics.

Capcom’s SF is a little bit of vague they can rerelease multiple versions of SF2 but casualize it but it’s not viable to compete and even replace with the staples. Capcom already learned from HD remix.

A SF3 expansion would be a surprise but were not hoping since it something technical in development.

Modern SF series is pretty much vague, it’s not a predecessor of SF2, SF3 and SFA. It’s more on it’s own but it’s always vague, So don’t expect something like near it like Cyberbots, Darkstalkers, Warzard or etc along the line. While RS is along with Mahvel series. Even a Capcom vs Capcom unless the button layout is heavily different and something in how they simplified the likes of SFxT and modern Mahvel.

Yet we can still hope for something like Powerstone.

Agree if that was right, they shouldn’t bring back most of the classic in the later series and continued to what they were doing, but they did bring most of them because its clear a wrong move to leave the rest behind.

What made Tekken 3 better is than Tekken two was the graphics and gameplay along with the PS1 era. Tekken 3 is the most refined among the tons of pile of 3D fighters.

Tekken 3 Characters wouldn’t even work without them being references from their predecessors. You can’t say Hwoarang is better than Baek and Jin was better than Kazuya without those character existing in the first place.

Without those characters predecessor being known they would just end up like another 3D characters except for Forrest Law. They even change Jin multiple times and even his personality, unlike Kazuya being still what he is. Hwoarang works because his tied in with that game protagonist. The obvious bland character in the classic was Jun.

Tekken 2 was all about tons of characters, some weird animals with gloves and that’s it. Tobal was even better that time. What made Tekken 2 something is because it’s character are inspired from the likes of movie stars.

The breakthrough of Tekken 3 is the juggle mechanic that would change the phase of gameplay of every tekken game and refined it’s had been more refined in tekken tag that made everyone having access to it by tagging out another character. Then a better visual than tekken 2. It’s not better character replacements.

Tekken Tag was the best of that era because it clearly sets up the standard for a 3D fighter Gameplay, Rosters, Visuals that it beats up most of competition like DOA, VF and etc. Why it beats? because other titles didn’t still know what successful formula they should focus on. It’s like the era of 2D when Fatal Fury, Real Bout, AOF and the OG versions of Alpha and DS were released.

Yet Tekken 4 is a huge stepback terms of gameplay but Tekken 5 is were they cemented where they are now as the top 3d fighter of today.

True, they should never be along SF other than cosplay and alternate

I felt like it was from the current coloring of Bengus?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TrinketEric/status/1292710373880102912

6 Likes

I don’t see Street Fighter being a shared universe to be a cowardly move. It’s clear Capcom has no interest in a new Final Fight, Strider and other classic IP and it’s great seeing them carry on in Street Fighter. It helps they fit in well.

3 Likes

Chunlis still hot

3 Likes

Not guests. Time travelers.

Make it so all 3 take place in the same universe. But Darkstalkers is in the modern day. GnG is in the medieval era. And Red Earth takes place in ancient history.

The plot revolves around Firebrand using the Time Crest to travel through time looking for the other Demon’s Crests, and Arthur is chasing him through time.

3 Likes

No, it’s not great seeing them carry on in Street Fighter. It would be great seeing them carry on on Capcom Versus. And the fact that Capcom won’t make that is the part that makes them cowardly.

And Strider doesn’t fit in for shit. Because now that means the Strider universe is the future of the SF universe, and that’s bullshit. Strider doesn’t even have real fucking countries.

How? Being in Street Fighter means that those series have a means of continuing even if they don’t get new games anymore. I know Street Fighter as a series won’t die as it’s one of Capcom corner stones.

1 Like

She still looks great. I wouldn’t want an older chun to replace the CHun we have now. But if an Older Chun appears in an ending to show some more of her outside the known canon, then Im all for it.

2 Likes

You know what else would do that? Being in Capcom Vs.

You know what being in Capcom Vs doesn’t do? Undermine a series with a persistent universe of it’s own by cramming in characters and settings that don’t belong in it.

Look, I’m sorry a franchise you like is dead. But please stop trying to ruin other franchises because you want to see fucking Power Stone characters again or whatever.

Especially when Capcom HAS a franchise where all it’s dead franchises can get together and be recognized!

1 Like

If we ever get to see an grown Li-Fen I would like to see this Chun looking like that.

It can’t undermine the franchise when those series are within the same universe from the every start (In the case of Final Fight and Rival Schools). I think it’s better for Street Fighter brand to extend it’s scope then keeping itself in a box. If the devs can find a way to make whatever character from another series fit into Street Fighter than why the fuck not? You gotta accept that SF has become KoF at this point.

2 Likes

True SF is strong and can promote the games, but you encounter a couple of issues.

Let’s use DarkStaklers for this example.

Let’s say the last character is Jon Talbain. You now have to explain how there are werewolves in the SF universe and his history. He has ancestry hailing from the Maki kingdom.

Combining the two universes dilutes both identities. To give SFers a chance you either radically amp up their abilities or dampen the DS ones. You then have clashing aesthetics, the cartoonish over the top violence (getting chopped in half and reknitting, etc) of DS doesn’t work with SF, and cutting that out would be a shame, also the gothic chic mixing with the brick and urban look of SF doesn’t work. You then have Darkstalkers characters not playing as DS characters and having to conform to Street Fighter’s mechanics. With a full on DS game, you can have unique mechanics that go 110% with the concept of horror media monsters and just giving the audience a taste of something NOT SF. SF has been Capcom’s main fighting squeeze and while popular, people want a taste of something different.

You then also have to change the setting of Darkstalkers entirely. Darkstalkers aren’t the things of rumours and stories, they’re out there in the open with the UN literally fighting to give Cat Women human rights, the rich hiring Dark Hunters to capture DS for potions, medicines or collections, you also have low level and medium DS’s strong enough to wipe out armies. You can’t just say they’ve always been in the background of SF.

One other issue is that you mess with the universe’s expectations. People will want more DS characters and not be satisfied with 1 or 2, then you have every season’s character requests being bundled with a SF or DS request. Also, people already hate the “freaks”, so including DS in the mix will amp that up and take the series further from martial arts or even martial arts with anime/toku-esque evil organizations and sci-fi. We’ll then get an issue of “who cares about this next martial artist style” when you can have a Yokai tank a hadouken and eat Dan and have some crazy over-the-top design and moves.

Getting eyes on the series again through the nostalgia costumes is nice but, DS fans are desperately waiting for a new entry, you don’t have to combine universes messily to get people excited. You’ve got the old DS fans, but also, with enough presentation and just being a brand new fighter, you’ll get new eyes on the game if it’s pushed.

2 Likes

RS was not in the SF universe from the start. That’s a new development as of SF5. But at least there’s nothing in RS that wouldn’t fit into SF. Unlike Strider.

It’s not.

Because they can’t make them fit. Just because they added a character in, doesn’t mean it fit.

Capcom has enough trouble making new SF characters that fit SF without trying to shoehorn in characters from other unrelated franchises.

I don’t, because CAPCOM VS IS THEIR FUCKING KOF!

1 Like

RS was always SF. Sakura being in the game, the SF references packed into it like Chairperson learning Saikyo-ryu through mail, Capcom being ok with Rival School characters acting in supporting roles in manga and comics starring Sakura. To say that Rival School being canon is a recent development is lying to yourself. Even the producer and director when they made the Akira announcement said Rival Schools always existed in the canon.

Series like Street Fighter don’t get where they are by remaining stagnant.

But they are related.

Vs was never their KoF. Vs was never a inter company crossover that KoF is. Vs needs an outside entity to be a Vs

1 Like

Yes Takayuki Nakayama is the director of SF5 and Shuei Matsumoto is the producer. Funny enough if you check the credits of SF5 Shuei Matsumoto wasn’t originally the producer for SF5 it was Koichi Sugiyama.

They were both on the S5 reveal stream.

1 Like

Obviously whatever series Capcom integrate into Street Fighter will have to make sense for its universe. I don’t expect movie monster homages to do that. It will obviously be case by case. I wouldn’t want them to try to fit in Resident Evil.

1 Like

People should had a grasp on reality and Capcom ain’t bringing back those titles or doing bunch of multiple fighting game titles at the same time in the mainstream then making it competitive.

Do even people believe that Darkstalkers is not happening because of ONO stoping it? or because they are wanting the other DS compilation to earn big? NO

They don’t want to Darkstalkers to compete with SF, because they don’t want the community divided and they want it to be focus at the flag ship titles.

IF Capcom vs Capcom, DS and RS would return together with SF and Mahvel in the mainstream, it would be a non-competitive entry a casual title like USF2 and SNK Heroines.
I don’t see any problems with that IMHO, but that’s the reality of the current trends of fighting game companies not just Capcom.

I would be okay integrating other characters from different franchise in SF Universe but with the same treatment of this characters in CFN profile.

I see no problem them being not the exact them but a parallel counterpart as a representation in SF universe. To avoid complication and expectation of viewing them to be like the other characters in a different franchise with the same name and has similarities.

Yet they ARE not the SAME

It’s like the story of The One

I’m okay with other franchise in SF as lon they are different like how Tekken handles Yoshimitsu, How KOF handles Athena, How FEXL handles Hayate and How SF handles Zeku.

But still no Darkstalkers and Warzard in SF, Why? It’s like putting the Nightmare in Tekken.

Same case on Alpha 2 I don’t think the relationship of Hara is the same case as it was years ago in SF3s, SFA2 or even the live SF action movie the game in arcade.

That’s why I believe they should approach Tetsuo Hara.

Ryu, Ken, Chunli and Akuma are clearly main stay they appeared in numerous media beyond SF, they are crossover icons.

Secondary to me is broad: Guile, Gief, Dhalsim, Urien, Bison, Boxer, Cammy, Zangief, Haggar, Yun, Juri, Claw, Makoto, Elena, Poison and Ibuki.

Characters like Zeku, Adon, Q, Claw, Viper, Ibuki, Juri, Necali, Necro are flexible characters that can be recurring constantly and alternatively

Here is my previous thoughts on the subject

Forgot to include Lee

In the SFV costume contest

I’m amazed that many japanese people create multiple costumes for Ed, G, Zeku and Female Seth. That means those new characters are loved and had strong interest with in the japanese community.

https://twitter.com/YusukeMurataArt/status/1292922714466943000?s=20

The artist for One Punch Man really does Street Fighter characters justice…

4 Likes