The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

A kathoey muay thai please :slight_smile:

Street Fighter II V - This is Animation Special artbook rundown

I always wanted to know more about the contents of this book before buying it, so I found a rundown of it on YT. It’s a really cool book. Unfortunately, it only covers the first “season” of the anime, almost missing the Shadaloo arc. So there’s no concept art for the characters that appeared at that time (Mike Bison/Balrog, Cammy, Zoltar, Vega/Bison, Zangief, Shadaloo soldiers, etc). Pity.
2 Likes

It was good anime back then also a decent else world street fighter, the only problem was being rushed quickly that I notice when I was young that Chun li turned quickly into a woman.

Then lately I have read online that it was indeed rush because of ratings and etc. That they even cut Thawk.

Do you think one of the main problems with the perspective of a MKvsSF is that MK fighters don’t use any real or recognizable martial arts style, only sloppy whatever punches and kicks?

What could Capcom do with that? I mean, designs and everything, I love the fact they give all their characters a definite style with true martial arts moves and techniques (and sometimes even philosophy). MK definitely can’t hold a candle to the true ancient knowledge deposited on the SF designs.

2 Likes

Its impossible and wrong to force SF iconic and pop culture characters to transform their moveset be like the real life martial arts, Forcing the iconic one to comply with the real practice is shedding and downgrading their superiority to the ordinary that a real person can possibly able to do. It’s alienation.

It would make them less and generic like ordinary people. The only application of that which can work is with new characters and not with the iconic cast that is known and used for the play style.

Characters in pop culture characters isn’t mostly chosen to be played because of there fictional bio of their listed martial arts, but rather by the move sets and familiarity they establish throughout the years which is different from MK.

But that except the like of Dictator/Bison that is more known of appeal and character than how he was supposed to played with.

According to Io_Housenka, the correct answer in Quiz Street Fighter Academy to the question “What was Blanka’s name during development?” is マハブランカ Mahaburanka. Maja blanca is… A Filipino dessert, LOL. Since Tagalog uses the Spanish alphabet, J is read as an aspirated H, thus “maha blanka”. So we finally know where Blanka’s name came from. They simply went south of Japan for Blanka: Rocky Joe’s Harimao was Malay, Blanka’s name is actually Spanish through Tagalog…
EDIT: Ryoredcyclone confirmed with a screenshot from Asahi Sonorama’s Complete File Street Fighter II that contained the information. So we even have an original source.

4 Likes

That’s why will be great build a page with all that stuff, it’s sad think that 90% of what we found with all that search and dig will just disappear… i even imagined the layout lol, think main page done like a gigantic SF selection grid, you click on the char you get to his personal page

But problem is nobody have all that time, it will really be a mammoth size work… maybe if we was still highschool kids without a job :smiley:

Avoid that entire universe like a giant steaming pile of shit you don’t want crossover with
They’re doing good at that

And the “Jimmy” part?

Blanka (ブランカ Buranka ?), also known by his birth name Jimmy (ジミー Jimī ?), is a video game character from the Street Fighter series, first appearing in Street Fighter II . He is a feral man from the Brazilian jungle with green skin and the ability to generate electricity.

Never understood if count it as canon or not

Hang on, of course “Jimmy” is canonically Blanka’s birth name. His mom calls him Jimmy, not Blanka. As for where “Blanka” came from in universe, there are some explanations: one of them said that “blanka” was the… SOUND OF THE SNEEZE that did the beast who found him in the jungle, and Blanka thought it was his name.
If you’re asking me where Capcom took “Jimmy” from, I have a theory but honestly “Jimmy” is so common that it could come from anywhere.

2 Likes

an MKxSF is very unlikely since the buildup is different but…

Going as SFxMK, which has been discussed a lot had a chance yet there is something need to be considered and it won’t work good for MK side.

I believe there is a worked around for both franchise to be a crossover like Capcom managed to find for SF with Xmen before being MVC

but still my previous stance on this is that MK will need to lose it’s appeal which is more on gore and fatalities. That they would need to reject when they are going to have a SF crossover.

For seeing it in the other opposite side, Like I said before for SF cast guesting and joining MK as guest that if I remember was Necali, Mech Zangief, Twelve and Kage.

Even Phantom Bison can join in but the rest of the iconic character will never be for that game like Chun Li, Ryu and etc. So it’s overall it’s a lost to NRS not to Capcom.

Yet a SF vs MK would raise an eyebrows and controversy for just the title itself but the selling point is most for it being for the Capcom version not the NRS designed.

So we will likely end up with watered down version of MK characters that has no gore and blood which is it’s appeal just to square with Sf characters.

lately speaking of crossover WWE had a bizarre crossover too with KOF

Yet you don’t take crossover seriously or try to find rationale on it, but thats not the same case with fatalities and gore in MK to be applied to SF popular characters.

Yeah, we all know a crossover gme would never work. But… I was just wondering about a MK guest character in Street Fighter… not that Street Fighter has ever featured guest, third-party characters ._.
Only wondering, what would Capcom do if they had to ‘adapt’ MK characters to a Street Fighter style…?

1 Like

If guesting I don’t think if Capcom would ever do that now since they had dozen of characters from other franchise. It’s kinda for the like of Jhonny Cage and Liu Kang to be in SF but them being in SF doesn’t feel MK they would end like bland characters. The iconic and exclusives characters likes of Goro and Scorpion guesting is very unlikely. It’s better for an SFXMK with watered down MK franchise than individual representation.

Wait, but the same book has an entry mentioning Blanka’s secret concept:
From the actual plot guide, bakfromon’s translation:
"Secret Character Concept:

ジャングル の 野生児 という の は 最初 から の 設定。ハデな 体色で目立たせようと 、 紫色など様ざまな色を経 て 、 緑に 落ち着いたとか。 初期設定 で の 名前 は 、 ハマブランカといった 。

The initial story had been a wild child from the jungle. Settling on flashy colors such as green and purple to make him stand out. His name was originally planned to be *Hamablanka

• Japanese mispronunciation of ‘Hombre blanco’"

The photo you provided also show this ハマブランカ but in your post it’s written マハブランカ. It was Capcom’s fault when they typed the quiz? Don’t know if there’s a english version of the question with the same typo.

I saw that in the old guide too, but I dunno where that came from. Eternal Challenge (UDON’s translated version)
says: “The first time Brazilian natives spotted him, his pale skin and strange movements earned him the nickname ‘Blanka’ (which means ‘white’ in Spanish).”
Don’t know if it’s the same thing in the japanese version:

3 Likes

Injustice and Injustice 2 don’t have fatalities. There are MK characters in those games. Also, an SF and MK crossover would be only for the epic story/lore as opposed to the gameplay (we all know that the gameplay will be shit) However, seeing Gill VS Shao Kahn or something or Raiden VS Vega (Japanese names) or Gouki would be epic story line wise!!!

You guys are forgetting Capcom VS Snk 2. That game wanted to make the SNK characters shit, but failed at it. Recent videos from Japan show SNK characters destroying the battlefield

1 Like

I did not!

1 Like

The difference in what you said now is that they just guest and I’m not saying it’s just the fatalities but the appeal of gore in MK itself. Plus Injustice Character are character that can take the beating of any iconic MK character that includes Gods like raiden compare to SF that would be for most of the earth realm.

KOF and SF are the best paired to each other there is no question on it, So there’s not forgetting it, but imagine if SF had gone crossover instead with just Samsho or SF had gone crossover with Soul Calibur instead of Tekken, that’s where SF with MK does feel.

1 Like

D’OH! :scream: You’re right. See, what I said about “wild guesses and personal fan fictions” also applies to me. I was so excited by the finding that I didn’t pay attention to what Ryoredcyclone was saying AT ALL, thus ending up making a HUGE mistake. I’m sorry. :disappointed_relieved:
Yes, Ryoredcyclone was pointing out that Capcom typed ハマブランカ Hamaburanka wrong in the quiz. That’s why they were so amused, because even Maja blanca DOES exist (so even with a typo Capcom ended up referencing something real, LOL). Ryoredcyclone added the post to a previous one where he complained about another typo (they had spelt the name of the muay thai champ before Sagat wrong, “Anukan” instead of “Nuakan”).
Thus the original was HAMA BLANCA. My bad. The origin of “Hama Blanca” is even more depressing than a Filipino dessert: HAMA Blanca was a leisure facility in Shirahama, Wakayama Prefecture, that closed in 2005.

(the photo was taken before 2015, as now there’s just an empty lot with only the plants left)
It had a large rainforest garden, a cactus garden, a flower garden and a rollercoaster. It was built to represent the epitome of a tropical paradise.
The origin of the building’s name was… you guessed it, CASABLANCA. Fused with the Japanese 浜 hama “beach”, because 白浜 SHIRAhama is “WHITE beach”. Therefore, “blanca”.
The fact that “Hamaburanka” comes from this leisure park ISN’T confirmed by Capcom, as Ryoredcyclone rightly points out; but come on, it’s so obvious to be almost in-your-face.
And that’s it as for Blanka’s name origin EXTRA universe. Then Capcom had to justify it IN universe…

…And that’s one of the two explanations I knew about, that even the Japanese Wikipedia page about Blanka does mention. The part you quoted, however, doesn’t have the note “* Japanese mispronunciation of ‘Hombre blanco’”". Wasn’t it there in the original? The Japanese Wiki doesn’t mention its source, so I don’t want it to be a translator guess.

It came from the SF2 Fanbook:
Schermata 2020-05-21 alle 16.20.42
6: The secret of his name
7: The sound of a sneeze made by the beast who found him: “Blanka!”. Apparently, the young Jimmy (his real name) thought that it was his name.
8: B… BURANKA!
Yes, it’s ridiculous.

Yes, it’s more or less the same but doesn’t say “Brazilian natives”; only “When he began his life in the jungle, he was named ‘Blanka’ (which means ‘white’ in Spanish) because he was so fair-skinned”.

TL;DR:

• Blanka was named Hamablanka during development (confirmed).
  • The name came from a leisure park in Shirahama (UNconfirmed, mine and Ryoredcyclone’s guess, even if it’s obvious).
  • Capcom mistakenly wrote “Mahaburanka” in the quiz, and I mistakenly thought it was Blanka’s original name coming from a dessert (my mistake, it’s HAMAburanka=Hamablanca);
  • IN-universe, Blanka’s name origin has had various interpretations:
    1- The sound of a sneeze of the beast who found the young Blanka in the jungle (SF2 movie memorial fanbook); yes, it’s ridiculous but it was official;
    2- Blanka was so named by the locals because he was still pale before becoming green-skinned, so “blanka” in Spanish… It would be blanco in correct Spanish, and even then, Brazil’s official language is Portuguese, where it would be branco. Anyway, it’s official nonetheless (Eternal Challenge);
    3- Blanka was named “Hama blanka” because it was a mispronunciation of “hombre blanco”. This justifies his original name, and it was included in Complete File Street Fighter II. This is still not completely verified: the scan I’ve seen doesn’t include the note explaining that it was a mispronunciation of “hombre blanco”.

Phew! Thanks @Lord_Vega for the correction.

3 Likes

Fun thing is if we consider portoguese with “homem branco” somehow sound closer to that hamaburanka than spanish “hombre blanco” :smiley:

Cool, ever thought he was raised by monkeys, instead it was a cougar lol

Dhalsim would also fit in the Mortal Kombat Universe as a guest. Dhalsim, Scorpion, Sub Zero, and Liu Kang.

Here is the remix of this song. It is straight fire. Pun intended!!!

The beginning and at about 1:51 timeframe

2 Likes

The Blanka name origin thing makes me wonder how old he was during the crash. I always thought he was like a kid 8 or so, though if younger I guess that’s how he could forget his name??? Though with Dan’s A3 retcon I’m confused even more.

He’d also fit in the ARMS universe as a guest.

3 Likes