The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Did you respond by telling him the reasons he was named Vega? It honestly isn’t much better.

A name change out of legal fears is somewhat reasonable. A name change because people figure the original name isn’t “manly” enough is a bit sketchier. But getting your name changed because a completely different character’s name was prompting legal fears and another completely different character’s name wasn’t considered “strong” enough, and no one was willing to redo the name graphics, and thus you were thrown into a three-way name swap even though there was no issue with your own name?

I got a question y’all.
Did Nakahira

do an SF2 manga? Cause I found this and it looks very intriguing.

6 Likes

Not that know about, but those look like drawings of his!

I am pretty sure the SF2 manga were Gouken first appeared (not the same pictured above) was both written and drew by Kanzaki, his drawing style is very different from Nakahira (the above picture).

1 Like

@Spoonman You’re right, I was mistaken. It’s actually the “Street Fighter II Comic Anthology” series. ( ストリートファイターⅡコミックアンソロジー)

4 Likes

Cool find, I guess Nakahira drew the cover for that particular compilation.

1 Like

It’s really dope! I wanna find more SF manga (including SF Gaiden). I’m a lore nut especially when it comes to the shotos, lol!

2 Likes

Secret File Vol. 16 - Street Fighter III - 2nd Impact Giant Attack

11 Likes

I’M IN LOVE! Thanks for the post!

These last couple of posts were excellent.

I never even seen most of those before!

Found some cool stuff on my Capcom art hunt if you wanna see

3 Likes

Hey it would be cool if you are able to share some :slightly_smiling_face:

No, they translated it correctly. G IS the last boss of SFV.

It does, thank you! Although I’m still under the impression they simply reused the fan translation on the Net… Oh well, who cares anyway.

Back to Chun-Li… I said I noticed something interesting in her moves. Thanks @Darc_Requiem for the input. The vast majority of her special moves reference a bird, be it real or mythological. A good part of their names CONTAINS A STEALTH REFERENCE TO FIST OF THE NORTH STAR. The interesting thing is that Capcom went far more explicit with the references in crossover games than in the proper series after SF2CE.
Her basic normal (虎襲倒 Koshutō, “tiger attack fall”) and air (龍星落 Ryūseiraku, “dragon star drop”) throws reference the classic Chinese opposition and complementarity between tiger and dragon.
Then we have birds, who may or may not reference Fist of the North Star, but considering Chun-Li’s debut I’m more inclined to think that’s intentional.
We already know of 百烈脚 Hyakuretsukyaku “hundred rending kicks” comes straight from Kenshirō’s own 北斗百烈拳 Hokuto Hyakuretsuken. Although Kenshirō (well… the narrator) always called the attack 拳 ken (literally “punch”), he used it with kicks as well, and the word 拳 ken is also used for every physical attack, so kicks do fit in.

We also know that the initial name of the Spinning Bird Kick was actually 白鷺拳 Shirasagiken “White Egret Attack” (another instance of “ken” used as a generic umbrella term for attacks rather than only punches). As I already explained, the kanji 白鷺 could also be read Hakuro, and 南斗白鷺拳 Nanto Hakuroken was the style of Shū. After all, the Spinning Bird Kick comes straight from Shū’s Rekkyaku Zanjin.

鷹爪脚 Yōsōkyaku “Hawk claw kick” references AMIBA’s 鷹爪三角脚 Yōsōsankakukyaku “Hawk claw triangular kick”. Kenshirō dodges it, so we don’t know if Amiba could’ve juggled him with it… :stuck_out_tongue:

Incidentally, 三角跳び Sankaku tobi, the Triangular (Wall) Jump, wasn’t invented by HNK. The first instance of sankaku tobi was in Ikki Kajiwara’s Karate Baka Ichidai, already known for its influence over Ryu, Sagat and all of SF1 in general… and many moves of Makoto in SF3.

The original “triangular jump” included the jump kick (even if it wasn’t in the move’s name), but in HNK and SF2 (and in all fighting game since then) it has become just the wall rebound.

After SF2CE, the moves became more stealth in their references.
For example, 天昇脚 Tenshōkyaku “Heaven rising leg” becomes 天翔脚 Tenshōkyaku “Heaven soaring leg” in Marvel vs Capcom; that could reference both SOUTHER’s 天翔十字鳳 Tenshōjūjihō “Heaven soaring cross phoenix” and TOKI’s 天翔百烈拳 Tenshōhyakuretsuken "Heaven soaring hundred rending fists_. Not that the moves are similar in any way, though.
More interesting is her SFEX’s 飛燕蹴 Hienshū “Flying swallow kick”, a forward somersault kick whose name directly references REI’s 飛燕流舞 Hien Ryūbu “Flying swallow flowing dance”, the move that earned him Yuda’s envy, even if the execution of the move is more similar to Rei’s 飛翔白麗 Hishō hakurei “Soaring White Grace”, the move that he uses to kill Yuda. Rei attacks with his hands and Chun with her legs, but the similarity is there.

The most explicit reference to HNK, though, is undoubtedly Chun-Li’s 七星閃空脚 Shichiseisenkūkyaku “SEVEN STARS Flashing Air Leg”, with even the complete name of the move appearing on screen to boot.

That references ALL the instances in which Kenshirō mowed down entire masses of enemies while seemingly frozen in mid-air kick position, all due to animation limitations.
In the regular series, though, Capcom returned to mythological and self-references. Chun-Li’s V-Skill 1, 鸞脚 Rankyaku, “Luán leg” references a mythological bird whose sighting is always a sign of peace. Being a subtype of Phoenix, Capcom had already used Luan as a name…
Luan
双睛脚 Sōseikyaku, the V-Skill 1 followup, literally means “Double Pupils leg”. The 双睛 Sōsei is actually another mythological bird, also known as 重明の鳥 Chōmei no tori in Japanese or 重明鸟 chóngmíngniǎo in Chinese. Its appearance is similar to a normal chicken, only with two pupils in each eye. It can fly even if all the feathers on its wings have been extracted in some way.
To complete the mythological birds, the CA is 鳳翼扇 Hōyokusen, “Fènghuáng Wing Fan”. The Fènghuáng is usually translated as “phoenix”, but it’s a different mythological bird with its own characteristics.

6 Likes

I just follow whatever creative spark that comes to me :grinning: I just hate when I hit a wall. I’m literally sitting here right now trying to punch through writer’s block. :expressionless:

Here’s some arts

491fe14f511eb3b96e798afe0def0cdfb37d9168_s2_n1
Some are from manga, some are manga covers, it’s all really cool stuff I found!

8 Likes

All very cool, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Yeah, but Akuma is also technically the last boss of SF2. But that has no bearing on SF2’s story.

To me, CVS2 is canon and is a Street Fighter game that takes place after 3S.

Here’s a recent high level stream:

G isn’t the last boss technically or canonically. He’s just a secret boss.

What’s in the game takes precedence over everything else. Game canon is supreme.

Yeah, yeah, you all can say what you want and what you all want to believe, but the fact is that the developers said that G is the last boss of SFV. No one can really perceive G as such? Certainly. The game lacks the story part where we all could believe in G as a last boss? Without the least doubt. I’d want a second story part that tells us G (and Neo Shadaloo…)'s story as well. But that was what they said.

5 Likes