Miðgarðsorm Presents The Street Fighter V Story Thread

Half OT, but LMAO at last DB announcement, really shows that for a decent cast a sh can’t just blowjob the “fans”

like that Jay artwork i only seen the shaolin dude one, if you watch videos on youtube there are plenty brand new characters (who mostly looks like beatemup street goons) but i’m not sure they’re going to be the same that you will be able to play, they seem more cannon fodder like militar troops etc

Btw game looks silly, but if become crazy popular and some new character gain lot of audience support may mean see it in SF6

Yeah, I’m looking at the character list now. Most of the new character are either street thugs or SIN robot guys. And the couple that aren’t that are fairly generic Chinese guys:

And whatever this chick is:

1 Like

Take Shaolin dude, spice up his design/personality a bit, burn the rest.

But give me this DLC

2 Likes

LOL are you sure about that? HAHA

there are only a few that does work

Oh man…that fucking Yakuza boss looking Bison is just chef’s kiss

That Guile alt is just straight up Benimaru…

LOL they covered Elena and lengthened Poison’s shorts.
https://twitter.com/ryo_redcyclone/status/1340108418648948737
https://twitter.com/ryo_redcyclone/status/1340146182190854146

Think both look great tbh

2 Likes

Both would look great even wearing a garbage bag, that’s for sure.
I remember an official artwork by Kinu Nishimura with Elena wearing a dress and socks and she was wonderful.

Yeah, my fav too, but on general liked the whole group

They covered Cammy’s ass too

The chinese are good at covering things. Like the ethnic cleansing of Uyghers for example

4 Likes

Literal same basic design work for generic thugs as in the KOF beat’em up game.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, you can tell Chinese design work at a glance. It all has the same-ie generic look across the board.

Dunno if its state-mandated (like the suppression of free thought is) but it might as well be considering how ubiquitous it is

1 Like

IDK, this monk guy does fit with the general SF aesthetic. I could easily see him (and welcome him) in a mainline game.

For what I’ve read about his gameplay, it doesn’t seem too interesting. But they could improve that.

1 Like

There are several factors here why this design ended up like that

First the casual wear of the protagonist

Because of KPOP is wildly popular now here in asia. That it strongly influence the current trends from fashion sense and culture in mainland youth. The difference with mainlanders and other asian is the restriction and accessibility of media that they consume.

• This is WHY the casual wear of the protagonist characters like Ryu and etc is more vibrant than usual and not particularly on personality. Which is design to appeal to their target the demographic in mainland.

I had been in a environment with lots of expats mainlanders in their twenties men would either wear those kind of fashion and some would be just into geek printed shirts while the likes of punk, metal and etc is very few.

But there is a catch here, Mainlanders mostly are the one into kpop fashion in casual wear than actual Koreans.

So HOW about the common and generic THUGs?

• KOF craze is more stronger in the recent twenties generation in mainland than any 2D fighter. SF2 era had also a strong influence but most of the other SF like ALPHA series isn’t that popular there. So SF is more on the boomer era of mainlanders not the current influential work force.

• In fact it reflect strongly in piracy, passion projects and non-official games to be prominent to be KOF even before SF4 era.

To be fair… SF Duel Thugs are more diverse and unique in thugs than the usual in a 90s beat em up from popular titles because they look like a clone of each other,

I think the main issue here with SF Duel thugs and enemies is that they look out of place or misplace and because some of thugs automatically reminds you of another very familiar character in another game. Rather than seeing them as a random generic thug like how we see 90s beat em up thugs even they are literal clone of another.

It’s like the feeling of seeing Guile in a non-capcom game. Another thing is that some doesn’t feel that they belong in a SF theme because some enemies in SF duel even looks like they were from other genre of games for example overwatch.

I believe most of their priority in generic character designs were prioritizing references from popular trends and basing it with demographic which reflect mostly in their design output.

Which was also obvious in the Persona similarities that I also pointed out a year ago before the other fgc site talks about it.

At first glance of seeing that. I already knew what happened that they ended up with Persona’s interface. I knew what information made them do that and what made them motivated to copy it. The thing is they either misunderstood the information or they just became lazy and copied it anyway. LOL

I have worked last year in a gaming company here that are mostly consist of expat mainlanders and a few locals here. I don’t work in tencent and I am not a mainlander.

From my working experience they literally want me to copy the steam interface and the previous design I was going to replace a CS interface. LOL It wasn’t just mainlanders but also some local guys here. The problem there was because the local people working there and the mainlanders are just graphic designers. Spoiler I didn’t do it.

Given how manly Guile is I doubt hed be caught dead in clothes like that

1 Like

lol i discovered that was an edit they imposed as later change, original art had normal Cammy ass… even more ridicolous

Yeah Guile ia probably the most out of character in that bunch… seems something would have fit Ed more
But Bison, Sim, Vega, Honda, Akuma, Ken and Sakura feels good
Cammy, Chun and Ryu can look good with these too
And i take that Blanka over mascotte Blanka

tbh i take that pack over some work/school/hallowenn/xmas crap we got

Given how anti-social Ryu is, you’d never see him be around Chun-Li, Cammy or Guile unless Ken is there.

1 Like

What?

DhalSim, Ryu, Akuma?

Ryu, Akuma and Dhalsim design were the most terrible match and out of character presentation in that illustration from tencent. Next is Blanka.

• Vega and Honda worked because they aren’t trying to sell them hard and changes weren’t apparent. Vega is easy to sell while Honda they just don’t bother since his not a character to easy relate with.

• Chun and Cammy are into fashion so those were okay. But that’s not the same thing with Sakura. Sakura character would have been not like that. Unless your seeing Sakura personality to be similar with Yuri Sakazaki lol

• Bison works because they aren’t trying to sell him because he is mostly an NPC throughout the story.

• Mascot Blanka is terrible in-game but it’s straight in the narrative and it’s purpose is a disguise and a job for him. So it’s in character compare yo the tencent presentation of him.

And also how terrible Mascot Blanka is doesn’t make that tencent Blanka in that picture better 10x fitting for blanka.

Also those were supposed to be season theme costumes compare to those in tencent’s promotional marketing collaterals.

Those SFV and SF4 theme costumes were supposed to be more loose and more theme based than something as to make SF characters to be known and presented.

Most media cannon and otherwise show him to be friendly with other characters. You get the feeling he be happy to hang out… As long as there was a bit of fighting/sparring involved

2 Likes

The only time Ryu’s a friendly extrovert is in the SFII manga, SFII Drama CD’s and SFIIV. His other appearances have him be the silent stoic man in contrast to the out going Ken (who should’ve been in that artwork imo).

2 Likes