Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition season VI, RIP MarkMan's #BeardStache

https://mobile.twitter.com/Voultar

This dude—I’m sorry—is nothing but a over-glorified potstrirrer. He solders well. Yay! That doesn’t make you a retrogaming SJW…

I’m not a Texan, a retro computing enthusiast or even a gun owner…but the mud this jerk is slinging on 8-bit guy (and pretty much anyone else he decides to poop on when he’s bored) is just unnecessary.

Every time I watch/read this person’s dribblings I get an acrid taste in my mouth. Same with Trump (maybe I’m allergic to narcissists). Anyway…Part of me is sadistically waiting for the table to be turned, just to see the turd squirm.

If you don’t know who this is…consider yourself lucky. /rant

Voultar is a… special character.
He’s very strong/agressive in some aspects, so I’ve lumped him into the bucket of internet people where I’ll accept use whatever’s useful that comes out of him, and basically tune out the rest. He just strikes me as one of those people who are knowledgeable, but have difficulty (or a very weird way of) expressing themselves socially.
I will admit that I do use his RGB boards in both my SNES Jr and my N64, and they are very well designed boards that are also very easy to install.

That being said, I don’t think 8-bit-guy isn’t without fault here; I’ve really only caught one of his videos in the past (his retrobright one on a PC casing for when I need to de-yellow my Dreamcast), but based on what I’ve read (especially in regards to this most recent scenario), I don’t agree with some of the methods used for his restorations/teardown. Then again, I also lump 8-bit-guy into that same bucket of internet people where I’ll absorb/consume whatever info is useful to me, and essentially ignore the rest.

Anyhow. I generally care very little about online drama like this since it has zero impact on my life.

I got you on the shared blame for the drama part. What the 8-bit Guy did was dumb. his patreon-only cover up/explanation video was in poor form. The open carry rifle thru the hardware store video was in poor taste. His retro-brighting vids were really the only ones I enjoyed. (You should watch Odd Tinkering channel on YouTube for better ones. Those are great).

What gets me here is Voultar. I watched his videos, which were good for what they were. However, the sucking up people in the retro gaming scene do to this guy is unfounded. He’s abrasive, self-aggrandizing, and his attitude is constantly “I know what I’m talking about, you’re wrong and pathetic. Shut up!” Top that off, he injects himself into EVERY point of drama in the scene—even things that don’t pertain to his circle at all.

He’s like the lil jerk in the school yard who gets everyone together to go watch someone get bullied and beat up in a dark corner—if ONLY for the spectacle. People like that annoy the shit out of me.

1 Like

…Now wrapping back around to something actually relevant to this thread… Here’s the Odd Tinkering video I was referencing earlier.

There are vids for SNES, PS1, Saturn and a full Dreamcast one on his main channel. I’ve made the same apparatus, using this solution and it all works great.

uhh…
https://arcadeshock.com/products/seimitsu-the-natural-massage-balltop-arcadeshock-exclusive

Perhaps a good (and very aggressive) Secret Santa gift?

Trying to give back to the community by attempting to run TTSS this year, gonna need you guys’ support :pleading_face:

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/

Office’s I.T. dept is cleaning out all the crap in their trunk of funk, buddy of mine said they had a few of these cords…

What’s the likelihood of an XRGB-3 playing nice with one of these?

=== 10/12 PM EDIT ===

If it’s free it’s for free, just told the homie to grab me two, will try it out this weekend :crossed_fingers:

=== 10/17 AM EDIT ===

This is as far as I got guys:

Got this thing a few years ago during one of Jasen’s Customs garage sales, put it on the project shelf, and haven’t touched it until today.

I think it “works”. It showed up both times on my HDTV when I tried connecting it first with a VGA cable, and then with that Amazon Basics DVI-to-HDMI cable. Menus come up and are responsive. Audio out comes through the little test speaker I hooked up too.

It DOES NOT though display any composite or s-video signals I feed it. Tried GC, PS2, GEN, and an old DVD player. Also it couldn’t be detected by my Win10 PC when I hooked up a USB cable to it, to try and update the firmware.

Getting too frustrated for a chill Saturday, so I’m gonna take a break, dig up my old Win XP laptop, do a little more Google-Fu research, and try again tonight.

Understand that the end goal is to feed it component video, but I don’t want to tear my entire setup apart before I get past the proof of concept phase.

I really should check in more often here. I seem to miss the boat on conversations on tech and electronics that I find interesting but nobody in my real life can relate to. But my real life started rolling and you all know that song. I know I kind of disappeared after being a daily poster, but getting a 3d printer a year ago started me back into controller hacking. One of the things I’ve been working on and never finished is an Atari Jaguar arcade stick with a number pad 6 buttons and everything, but my computer crashed and my 3d files were lost and I had to start over. The worst thing is I should have archived the work files to my NAS but nope. Add in that Jaguar games really suck, it is hard to get back on that horse.

3 Likes

Yeah, this thread here is really where the only useful and interesting conversation is happening these days.

I totally feel you on the computer crapping out though.
A few years ago my 4TB hard drive started making noises. I should’ve just bought a new drive and transferred things over immediately, but I got lazy/busy and put it off for a few weeks. Then the drive crapped out on me. I managed to get it working in an external enclosure long enough (about 30 min) to get some personal stuff off of it (mainly my arcade stick art/designs/etc); then it seemed to have died for good. Lost about 3TB worth of movies and TV shows and stuff, but at least all of that can be re-downloaded. Fortunately, all my actual personal stuff (photos, work-stuff, taxes, etc) were on a different HDD entirely.

1 Like

Sooooo.

Analog Duo:

Who’s gonna want one and not be able to get in on the preorders?

I don’t think I’m interested in the Duo myself.
And considering it’s been 2 months since the botched preorder of the Pocket, I’ve somewhat lost interest already. :expressionless:

2 Likes

Beat me to it!

Yeah what happened to more Pockets!?!?!?!

Also with the botched PS5 and RTX 3000 launches, hopefully analogue will do better, but then again IT IS 2020, and everything sucks, even the good stuff :sob:

1 Like

The MiSTer looks really good about now.

I do wonder how Analogue doing that CD drive.
Is it NOS or they got a supply of cheap buy new dvd drives?

2 Likes

Forgot to post this, watched Team Spooky’s MISTer stream last weekend, very impressed, when I get it through my thick skull that I don’t need physical copies of my old games anymore, then I’ll go all in.

1 Like

I don’t think I’m going to ever get to that point. :\

1 Like

I already have a SSDS3 RGB cable OSSC, RGB PVM and a working duo rx. And yet still considering getting an Analog Duo. What I am most excited for is the TG16/PCE Hu-Card Analog pocket adapter. Don’t have to mod my TG Express anymore.

2 Likes

I figured if I going to be running flash carts anyways, what’s the Analogue console supposed to do for me.

1 Like

Seems like an LS-40 would’ve been cooler with it being a ‘40th’ anniversary.

5 Likes

I agree, but the LS-32 is more well known.

LS-32 is my favorite stick of all time. That said it would be a cold day in hell before I’d spend $60 on one. Who is going to buy this?

2 Likes

Pandemic got me looking into my old hobbies again.

Damn this place has changed.

1 Like