Zangief Q&A Thread

Its kind of hard to execute, but I’ve had luck pulling it off at the start of matches. What I do is start my spd motion (I use forward) as the match is starting, if they do anything on the ground I try and lp spd it, and if they jump I continue my spd motion to up, wait a tick, then hit the button and nab em in the air… (to be clear, you can use this method any time, its just I’m terrible and its the kind of read thats hard for me to make in the middle of a round, so I’ve had the most luck with it at the start of the round)

When it works its amazing because when you get them right off the bat like that they start thinking before they jump and now you’re in their head, etc…

Wasn’t sure where else to ask this, but does kara, the ability to cancel a normal before it becomes active with a special move to extend the range of the special move, still exist? I’ve tried to no avail, unless it does exist but doesn’t extend the range of the special move it was cancelled into.

Nope, or atleast non have been found yet.

I see, I’ve tried it with all the normals but nothing. only in my wildest dreams where I could transfer St. HP’s armor properties to a throw lol.

Kara cancels have been removed from SF5, they’re simply not possible unfortunately.

Question! What’s a tick throw? Is there a legend for to lingo?

Tick throw is when you do a button, s.lk for example, and rather than continuing to hit buttons you do a throw/command grab as soon as they recover from hit/block stun. For Gief when you train your opponent to see c.lp x3, you can mix it up and do one c.lp then stop, wait a few frames, and spd.

I’m still having troubles consistently AAing. I see people using Lariat online to AA jump ins, but I keep getting stuffed. Is there some trick to this?

Also, what situation would Cr. HP or St. LP be better than lariat?

I like lariat for anti-airs but you need to get comfortable with the timing and spacing of it. Zangief’s head is wide open to get hit so ideally you want to hit the jumper with the extended arms.

Cr. HP I like when I KNOW they are jumping in at me. St.jab is good for when you are walking forward blocking them towards the corner and want to maintain both the pressure and give them a check out the air. Best done early in their jump or at the right angle when they are right above you.

You gotta do lariat super early like as soon as you see them jump. Even then it can still trade or get stuffed. Basically just completely forget about SF4 lariat cause it’s the exact opposite timing wise. St.lp is definitely the most reliable aa and also gives you kind of a mixup since you’re right next to them. Same with cr.hp but it’s just so slow so it can get stuffed too unless you do it super early.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll go practice a bit more but suppose my reaction is at the level - drunk… what should my go to anti air be? st. LP i guess?

Also, after st. LP, what’s a safe tool to pressure with? is there such a thing as a meaty after an AA? (Sorry I’m a noob)

To me it sounds like Zangief is saying “Light Year” when he does EX SPD?

Is he’s getting ready to hyperdrive or what? =)

ya you can do a meaty after an AA, although his only worthwhile normal to meaty with is headbutt.

I play him on Japanese but I think you mean “right here!”

Man. They can never get the speech right. I prefer he said something more cool. But he’s not Alex!

How can you tick into a 17f throw from a normal which is +0 on block??

Bear grab is good when you condition your opponent to not push a button or try to jump away because you’ve hit them with frametraps a few times.

I beg to differ. F. Mk is good as well. It doesn’t leave advantageous but can be even. Super buffered into it lands whether they block or get hit. Can lead into a combo that hits crouching opponents. And leaves you in range to hp. Spd. You Can even f. mk~ lp hp spd if you end spd on forward or up forward. None of which headbutt does.

F. Hp just leaves you at a big advantage.

The only issue with f.mk meaty, which I like sometimes, is if they block you are -3. I took this to practice mode before and you eat reversal dps

A perfect meaty can be all the way to even. Neutral f mk is punishable but any form of meaty that doesn’t connect on the first active frame is safe on block.

Ah yes of course. You’re right. Thanks for clarifying.