Zangief Match-Ups Thread

Only one for sure is he loses to Chun, just like he has in every other game ever XD

I haven’t played a Chun offline yet but online this mu is a complete joke. Definitely feels worse than 4 but who knows how it will pan out eventually. Actually online in general is a joke but most of us here know that already lol.

Did you guys not see Snake Eyez blow up Ricki Ortiz’s Chun Li? You guys gotta lab more.

Not that bad. I think he beats her at sweep range with parry and cr jab. Plus counter hit sweep is a free safe jump

Hi, I am new here in these forums.
Well, I have been having a lot of problems against Dhalsim!
Against Chun also, but everytime I am patient I win against her.

I play online and offline and in my opinion is the same!

Zangief can still manipulate his hurt box with how and where he jumps in on people that makes it slightly like sf4, just not as blatantly good. I’m finding that empty jumping gets zangief over rashids gales smoothly when timed right. I’ve been able to land spd as I land, but I need to test it to make sure it can be guaranteed instead of it possibly just being the rashids I’ve played being too shocked at gief making the jump over to act in time.

I think empty jumping from a certain spot and mixing in a differrnt jump spot/j.mk also makes it difficult for characters like vega to get a solid AA game established

If he does this again the next time they play, I will agree. But Snake got away with a LOT of shit in that tourny. Taking nothing away from him of course, but I’d like to see this match again after they had a couple of months to train.

Completely agree. People are so scared now and Snake is taking advantage of this big time. Look at his match against RayRay at Undefeated. RayRay had no idea what to do and basically just stood there and let Snake maul him. Everyone’s learning now.

Can Nash just escape the corner easily or is there a way to deal with his v trigger?

Lariat is my choice when I “hear” his V-Trigger sound!

Do we have any good gameplay vids vs Sim? I’d like to see how a Gief manages to get in.

I think the key to beating Sim is not being so protective of your white life. You gotta understand, once you’re in, Sim is dead. Your damage output is too good. His slow jump descension means free s.hk or air spd. His normals, aside from s.jab, are slow. So how do you get in? Vskill up, walk in, take the damage like a man. Don’t worry about losing the health. Wreck face.

That’s not to say you should give your white health away for free or immediately vskill walk like a retard. Creep up like you do against any zoning character. Once you get a feel for their poke rhythm, vskill, walk, flex on their limbs. Jumping jab is also really good at a little beyond half screen range. Crouching and standing jab beat most things from half screen.

All that being said, I think this match is a winnable 6/4 in Sim’s favor. It’s hard but not impossible.

For now we can look at snake eyez vs afrocole match from this week’s wnf as a reference for sim vs gief. Snake lost, but he didn’t get blown up, it was a good set. Then when Chris t picked sim against snake later on in the tourney snake blew it up

To be fair, Chris T’s sim is not a main sim. Afrocole’s is.

Cr.mp and f.mk can also beat or trade with limbs. It’s kind of a read but still something to bring out occasionally.

Patient Kens seem hard to deal with.

Has anyone started getting the karin punishes down yet on her blocked specials yet? Sometimes I think I’m blocking something that should be negative enough for spd, but im not getting the reversal timing spot on yet since it feels like so much of her stuff has distinct amounts of blockstun.

The sooner I can commit reversal spd (of the best strength depending on distance in each situation) to memory on some of the wonkier things to block in some matchups, the less annoying it will get

My thoughts on matchups so far (Zangief’s number on the left):

Birdie 5-5: I don’t really see why this is bad for Gief yet. I get the theory of it, that banana and can control Gief’s movement too well and can’t be vtriggered through, but in my experience that just hasn’t mattered much. It’s hard to move forward, but do you need to? I feel I can whiff punish some of Birdie’s buttons well and Gief’s antiairs work well. You get a free dash forward if you block a chain. If you walk up to where the banana is and just battle without moving forward, you may get hit, but the banana goes away over time and now Birdie can’t throw another one without giving up lots of space or getting a bit hit.
Cammy 5-5: This is just a footsie battle where both sides have good ground and antiair options, shrug.
Chun 4-6: I think Gief keeps up well on the ground in footsies, and he can prevent Chun from starting up instant air legs and stomp bs with lariat on reaction, but her antiairs are great, her pressure is great even apart from air legs, and her vtrigger makes her pressure really strong and safe. I don’t think this matchup is like SF4 at all, where Chun keeps Gief out. I kinda think it’s the opposite.
Dhalsim 4-6: I’ve been playing this matchup from both sides and it’s clearly tough. So far the only Gief to have beaten my Sim, let alone someone like FChamp or Arturo, is Snake Eyez, and Snake Eyez is probably the best in the world. But as Gief I’ve won this matchup a lot. I spoke with Champ about it at WNF and he said he thinks it’s probably 6-4 for Sim.
Fang 4-6: I think this might end up as even for Gief. I’ve been playing a lot of Fang as well and I know that his zoning thrives largely on impatience, even more than Sim’s. He doesn’t have the footsies to keep up with Gief if it comes to that. But he does have pretty good escapes in command dash and vreversal, so I feel Fang can run well. We’ll see.
Karin 5-5: Similar matchup to Cammy, just a good footsie battle where both characters have good ground, air, and antiair tools!
Ken 6-4: I think Ken is very strong, but he wants to play either right up close or stay away with occasional dashes/vskills in. So far that feels tough for him to make work against Zangief.
Laura 6-4: Similar matchup to Ken.
M.Bison 4-6: I’ve been playing lots of Bison as well. Bison’s buttons keep up with Gief’s well and he has great antiairs. His mobility is very strong in this matchup and ex ball is great for control. That said, I can see this becoming even after a while.
Nash 5-5: I don’t really think Nash’s zoning holds up that well against patience. Ultimately he needs to play footsies and I feel Gief is better at that than he is. That said I feel there’s a chance Nash could bring this back to 4-6 by playing a bit differently.
Necalli 5-5: Imo Gief whiff punishes Necalli well and Necalli’s vskill can be vskill absorbed or jumped on reaction. But Necalli has good pressure of his own and a dp. Seems pretty even to me.
R.Mika 6-4: Mika has to make some hard reads in pressure imo. Gief wins the neutral game and can bust her wakeup game too.
Rashid 5-5: I know the fireballs feel frustrating, but you don’t need to go in on them. You can wait out at about half screen range and dash forward if you see the double spin, because that one has way less range. If not, just take the chance to build vmeter with vskill or even build bar with whiffed full screen spd. Gief wins in footsies. Don’t worry about Rashid vtrigger setups imo, Gief can vtrigger spin all the way through that tornado and vskill flying kicks on reaction.
Ryu 6-4: I just feel that Gief controls Ryu’s buttons, doesn’t have to worry much about horizontal fireballs, and pressures Ryu well!
Vega 5-5: I was worried about this matchup, but I’ve played some good Vegas and so far I feel like Gief keeps up in footsies just fine. I don’t think Gief can jump very often, but I also don’t think he really needs to.

I agree with UltraDavid with the exception of: Cammy 6-4, and Karin 4-6