Zangief Match-Ups Thread

Also, don’t jump at Vega when he has VT. He can punish with a VT combo for free.

I’ll expand on that. Since we have a parry there is no reason to jump in almost any matchup.

Ok i have played alot of this matchup lately so here are some cammy tips
At distance
Her standing mk gets beat by cr LP
Her cr HP beats your cr lP
Her cr HP loses to your st MK
dont use St HP they can drill that on reaction.
Any blocked Holigan is free spd.
Headbutt on wakeup or block. dont cross up as she can uppercut it all.
CC all blocked DPs.
CC Vskill on reaction.

This is a very slow match just like SF4 but really fun it is all footsies.

Karin Tips

6MK to beat her cmk
good Karin’s cr.mp and then her overhead. Crouching beats all followups.
Parry her 236k,p
St Jab beats every jump in.

Seems 5/5

Follow up on this when he has full bar don’t parry anymore he can cancel his attacks to CA on reaction to your parry. With other characters this is not an issue as you can just parry the CA, Nash CA counts as an attack grab though and beats parry clean.

How do you guys feel about the Birdie mu?

It’s pretty bad IMO. His V-Skill stops Gief’s offense cold and he’s got better buttons that lead to more in the neutral. Whiff punishes with st.MP gets him a buffer into Bull head for good damage and ground control. Gief’s V-Skill can be checked with jumping chain (especially EX) and st.FP gets CC’d by sweep or low profiled by DF.HP. Also Birdie can do V-Skill to make him immune to the suction effects of VT.

All those tools and both have the same health and do similar damage.

dont forget his ex command grab is unthowable. overall its really tough, your cr. jab beats most of his pokes at range but for the most part when he has banana out you are going to have to make a hard read to win. IF you get him to the corner it is hard for him to get out without taking MAJOR risks so it is not unwinnable but is one of his worst matchups.

Forget? I didn’t even know…wtf? How is it that a character with so many tools already is allowed to have an unthrowable command grab but the guy who is a WRESTLER and who’s archetype revolves around command grab doesn’t?

http://www.geeksandcleats.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/nick-young-confused-face-300x256.png

Zangief’s EX SPD is also throw invincible.

But Zangief EX 360 is unthrowable too.
Also you can throw birdie out of Bull Revenger (regular and spds work). Whether Im full of shit or I dont do this right…
Yes, it works but the timing is strict.

Yea, that’s my bad. I was thinking of SF4 where normal SPD was throw invincible (but hittable) and EX SPD was hit invincible (but throwable).

99% sure you could throw SPD in SF4. He was super free to meaty throws on wakeup just like Abel.

Yeah the mu feels pretty bad imo. Ive only played 2 or 3 Birdies so far but he seems to win the neutral by a lot. Kinda reminded of Gief/Hugo in 4, not fun at all.

Watching Snakeeyez stream he showed that you can jump on top of Birdies cans/bananas and block which makes the fight more manageable. Snakeeyez believes Gief wins that matchup. In fact the only really bad matchup he feels is Dhalsim.

People talking about mu’s and the games been out less that 2 weeks lol. Kinda makes me laugh. LOTS of things will change in time.

No doubt it will. You can tell somethings that are obvious. Not to mention it’s fun and this is how we get better by finding options and adapting.

Of course totally agree. I’m talking more about the people that say things like, “so and so definitely beats so and so”. Or this character is the worst or the best etc etc.

I know it is funny. That’s why my post of match ups said early, most people missed that. i am sure I will be wrong about a few but if someone can prove me wrong I win as I level up!

Yep, there’s nothing wrong with posting matchups even like day one. Everyone knows that those are subject to change and it’s nothing official or set in stone.

Basically…

http://i.imgur.com/WT6Hk.gif