Zangief Match-Ups Thread

If you’re having problems with a specific character match-up, look for advice here!

=== NOTE: If you want to become the OP for this thread so you can maintain the top post to aggregate the thread’s information here, contact me via the SRK messaging system and I will be able to convert you to become the OP for this thread. ===

Seriously, WTF do you do against that little bitch Rashid. So fucking annoying trying to get in through his projectile.

Where are we on Gief vs Banana?

Man he’s a bitch to handle but I have had success using the V skill against his tornadoes when they playing turtle. I have more trouble with Nash!!! Any tips?

Zangief vs. Dhalsim. So far the only advice I’ve heard is “Just put down the stick and wait for it to end.” Anyone got anything better?

Looks like an impossible match. 9-1/10-0 in sim’s favor easily.
Gief has nothing to boost him forward and Lariat lost all it’s invulnerability making catching limbs insanely hard to impossible. Sim also can rush the shit down free.

Usually, dhalsim will mass his st.med punch so you can jumping hk to his aim, it requires a little bit of timing but worth to try.

Can’t you just headbutt his limbs, or EX Bear Grab through a grounded read?

I feel like everyone can rush Gief down pretty easy now since SPD has such shitty start up now besides EX. I really hope capcom makes him stop sucking eventually with Super Mega Hyper SFV Arcade Edition 2019

Sim is even. The game obviously has to mature but the fact that he does not have an answer to light normals in the poke game and upclose makes really tough for him to escape and comfortably zone.

F.A.N.G is tougher but when he gets knocked down, hes just as free.

all SPD are 5frames, even EX SPD and it has no invincible frames or armor. Use more V-reversal that’s your own chance to get out of Karin’s “Kanzuki’s hell of pressure”.

You cannot rush geif down. the first of getting thrown is still there. We just need to have real defense and not rely on reversals and jabs to get us out of sticky situations. Guessing on an opponents offense works both ways

Save V meter for ex reversal to get them off of you, because when you do and it connects, they are in a throw mix-up.

Bear grab has armor btw, we dont just have SPD at our disposal.

V-Reversal. Gief gains V meter ridiculously fast with his V-Skill. If you’re getting rushed down and killed before you can even get a bar of V meter, then you need to play better. But in my matches (and not saying I’m gdlk cause I’m not) I almost ALWAYS have a V bar. If I block a jump-in I wasn’t expecting or get swept and put in a mixup, I block and VR that shit.

This Sim match up needs to die.

Try crouching medium punch seems to beat his light attacks. People keep forgetting about the priority system heavies beat mediums, mediums beat lights. Sim really doesn’t seem that bad to me. Nacalli on the other hand is very difficult for me right now. After a stomp he can back dash for free. Anyone got any tips

As LoyalSol has said, you can use V-skill to catch his limbs. You can use medium and heavy bear grabs to catch his TP on his wakeup.

Seriously though, how do you beat the banana?

Ok…all other match ups seem pretty decent if controlled effectively (EVEN SIM) but I came across a Rashid who just spammed qcf.Lk and qcf.Hk and when I finally got in he just V Skilled out of there.
I could not do anything. Even J.SPD couldnt hit him as he was always covered by a fireball.

It wasn’t as if I wasn’t patient, in fact one of the games timed out but OMFG that match-up is hard if played in that manner

Any tips?

Parry and Headbut to deal with fireballs really helps in this matchup, parry at distance and Headbutt in sweep range.
for the VSkill him jumping away, it is easy to react with jumping jab as that comes out in 5 frames and has a great hit box.

For nearly every matchup J.LP and st.lp will just put a stop to any shenanigans someone is trying to do.