You think you're hungry? You're not

Maybe Mike’s doing this to get a fire lit under people, so they start having the passion again. I can imagine people wanting to waste him in SFIV now.

Axel, don’t stop playing ST.

The interesting thing about that is I play Sagat, and all of his combos are links xx special move. But If I could help out I’d be down for it. Seems like an interesting point of information.

Also the technique of plinking adds about 1 frames worth of additional input and helps out with tight links immensely. A while ago when I was playing Ryu a bit more seriously, I could hit f.fp -> c.fp more than 2/3rds of the time, though now as I’m a bit out of practice so I hit it less than half of the time.

Enough bitching… who’s interested in a session this Friday in the U district?

I can host about 8-10 people. Practice before TW/UW tourney. Play to improve… sandbagging the shit out of each other is much approved and encouraged.

Lol fucking Ed.

I just want you guys to know that I love you, good night.

OOooooooh shit son we should do a comparison between the two after we get the initial data in.

I don’t understand how picking a secondary character cheats myself or other players.

Example - My main in SF4 is Guile, and then Gen and others. If players can’t handle my non-mains (such as Rose), then it’s apparent the community needs to work on fighting a variety of (uncommon) characters.

Using alternate characters makes games fun for me and I believe it helps the community become more accustomed to seeing different characters.

Exposure > No exposure.

Playing only 1 character in any game is too damn boring for me.

Mickey wants to drop it, that’s cool. I’ll pick it up and carry it on. These things take time, I’m hoping that there are people that have read this thread took a look at themselves to see what exactl it is they want to do. Post EVO ahs showed me (and others) who is actually trying to play this game, some people surprised me, some dissapointed me, but not everyone is trying to be competitive right now. That’s fine, what needs to be done is to gather those that are trying to step it up and continue on, those that don’t want to be competitive now but maybe down the road will be happy to know that if they do want to get back into like that they can go to riki’s place, or to the freedom bunker, or to pat’s (these are just examples).

Do you know the main reason why we got so beastily @ marvel? There was a focal point of beasts that would just play nonstop. Cody’s house was the epicenter for marvel. Ppl would be there for days just playing marvel. And at anytime you could go to cody’s house and boom there was at least a 5-6 man rotation.

With all these people moving right now to new places, there’s a chance to bring a “Cody’s house” in for sfiv. But the question is are you willing to make the drive/bus to get there? There could be more tournaments in the future too, but people need to stop making excuses and just either get on to win or stand by to root for those that are in it to win it.

I think there’s a threshold where people get smashed so bad or the skill disparity is so big that players aren’t really learning/practicing much in the 10s or so that they are alive. I’m not sure that pairing them up with another lesser skilled player is the right way to go or if using a character you’re not maining is a better option or what.

I definitely believe that learning multiple characters is advantageous, that it gives you better matchup knowledge and general game mechanics knowledge.

Maybe picking up an alt teaches you new ways to option select or combo something in a way that gives you insight on your main, etc. These are just my thoughts, and everyone has their own perspective. To each their own.

^HeavyD I hit my 2 frames about 90% training mode wise I could do a trial session and actually run the numbers but the 2 I do are cMP->sHP and cMP-cMP which are both 2 frame and training mode loop I can do about 70-80% after 3 reps I start to miss. Again I could run numbers. This doesn’t carry over to ryu his f+hp->cHP i can do 33% I’m not used to the timing.

edit: I don’t know who it was but thanks for the snickers!

Hahahah dont jump the gun carlos, thanks for the info though. However, I still need to look at how to make everyone’s trials consistent in their execution and setting so that the data has relevence.

My initial idea was something like:

30 tries per link

No plinking, since we will be comparing the two methods(non-plink/plink) later

Training mode (obv), autoblock

Maybe only characters you main or feel confident playing with consistently

Setups for links, initially, should be less than 2 or 3 hits to get into the link, or should not affect how long you have to hit it (I plan to do a comparison between multi hit and single hit link setups later too)

You should state if your tv is sd, has any lag, and what controller you are using

I’m sure there was more but Im doing other things at the moment, but you get the idea a bit I think

Edit: I forgot one! I was considering a set amount of warmup time in training mode, so people would be ready to do their links and not feel all cold. Deciding on what you could or could not do with this time is complicated though.

Do you know what sandbagging means? Or was that sarcasm.

sarcasm! :stuck_out_tongue:

Dope post.

It’s crazy to think about those times now. I remember one summer before EVO (2k3 maybe?) some of us were playing like 6-10 hours a day, 4-6 days a week.

If there was some kinda ARC/Cody’s house situation in the north end, I bet that would help more than any attitude or intensity adjustments.

I just browsed through this thread and just got done reading a lot of interesting stuff.

I’m not from Seattle, as I’m sure everyone knows. Nor have I been here very long (3 months exactly on this day to be precise). I feel like commenting.

I’m going to paraphrase something I was told by a man I met at a bar here in Seattle, as well as add my personal reflection on the subject.

Seattle has a lot of Ronins, but not many Samurai. Seattle is full of many Warriors, but there are not enough Chiefs.

I have heard nothing but wisdom spoken from the words of every person I’ve met here so far. It is clear to me that you guys are masters of your own art, and everybody knows who they are. Like a Ronin, players have perhaps found themselves wandering into this scene, bringing with them their own artistic skills. The Samurai puts their skills into service, and together, service and skill are above all else.

But without the proper Chief, there cannot be Samurai. Samurai are nothing without a master to serve, because then they are Ronin. A Chief must have the vision in which to guide, but must also have the respect of his Warriors.

I just wanted to share this thought I had with my wise friend I met from the real streets of Seattle. Not sure if this relates to any of you personally, but it just felt like an interesting time to share the thought.

Actually Ray Playing guile taught me to never jump in…EVER. Haha.

I mean I was extremely free when I first was making it up to Portland, I still am now, but I am getting better, just can’t ever close out a damn game.

But I think Mickey makes some great points, its cool ya’ll went 3-2 cause I would have gone 0-2 most likely, but I think the best thing to get everyone better is to just start sharing what we know. IDK…I’m still a scrub but trying to get better. But thats also why I record a shit ton of stuff, not just because I’m huge into the media aspect which is why I’m getting into streaming, but its so we can watch our matches back and discuss them and stuff.

Fuck, I’ve actually been planning on getting my garage cleaned up enough to try and host casuals down here and shit. And if stuff gets running in beaverton, you best believe stuff will be going on up there.

It is worth mentioning how old we all were back then. Many of us were barely out of high school. As we get older we have a lot less tolerance and or time for things like games. We find other hobbies, taste vagina, whatever, games eventually take a hit in priority. I am fucking 24 years old, I still remember the countless hours I spent in the hub like it was yesterday but I can’t dedicate that much time to such things anymore. My time has come and gone.

While I may not agree with the wording and tone individuals chose to voice their concerns, there are many valid points across the board. To all the young bloods and or newcomers to the fighting game scene, do whatever it takes to keep the scene alive. If you want to play it find a way. Like Evan said, this is more a logistical problem than anything else. Just the fact that we can all go to something like TW and not have nigs immediately fighting each other is great. One less thing to worry about and you guys can work towards a common goal more easily.

I’m 24 fucking years old? HA! Wish I were 24 again.

i think this solves everything about being hungry:

[media=youtube]8aogkvXy9Jc&feature=PlayList&p=FC53F5362CB4E42E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=44[/media]

These years go by fast. Too fast.

this is all too true. its hard to look at everything as a whole from the inside. being new to the scene, it was easier to observe us as kind of an outsider.

man i remember the “marvel days.” wake up at 8. took the bus to work (south center), played before work (was playing cvs2/soulcal4/and marvel casually), played for my unpaid 30min, got off work, played afterwork, friends came through, played til 930pm, went to family fun center, played til 12am, went to gametown or ggr, played til 3am, went to the homies house played til 6am+. and this was on a work day lol. my friends and i always asked eachother everyday, “you goin to b6??? then lets play.” (my boater ass friend said it like, “you gon be sik???” hahaha) anyways, that drive is what we need, but its hard now that we’re adults. eman, carlos, etc. you guys cant call out people for not going to tourneys because you guys have that time. the time we USED to have to make road trips cross country for a weekend.