"We finished practicing now?" Cody Match-up Thread

on the match up with ibuki i agree with all, to add something her dash, which is very fast might i add, you can throw out her out of it. rh. rk will beat out her knike throw and punish her as well setting up many things.

I think he’s free, even when you’re in his face =P

If he’s a walldive-heavy player (read: newb), then you want to beat it with either a jumping attack or a well timed zonk knuckles as late as possible.

If he’s playing a proper ground footsie game, then you want to take your time. Throw some rocks from full screen. Is he jumping? ry to bait it now with a fake stone, and HK RK him outta the air.
If he’s not falling for the bait, then play a rushdown footsie game with him.
Your RK’s beat all of his attacks, including his farthest pokes, sHP/sMK, on reaction.
Have a zonk charged up at all times. Some Vega’s like to end poke strings with a roll. As soon as you see him curl up for it, BINGO dat ass.
If he’s doing the dreaded juMK, don’t jump at him, don’t dash under him. Inch forward, just outside of his range. If he doesn’t jump, then congratulations, you’re now close range to him. If he jumps again, launch a HK RK to counter it, combo if desired.

If you can get around midrange on him, he won’t let you walk to him anymore. If you try to walk, you’ll eat a cMP/cLP, maybe combo’d. Use stuff like your sweep, fMP, fHK, and your specials to get close, while using your standing normals to control space (I think they’re all great at controlling a specific area).

It’s also not bad to use the bad stones, because I feel they help a lot in getting close. If you can get him hit or even blocking it, it gives you a lot of time to get closer. Just don’t do it too close, as his jump is quick, and he can probably punish you on reaction.

Once you get in on him, never ever let him away! You worked hard to get close to him, now make him work hard to get out.

Shenanigans to watch out for:
Izuna Drop loop - As far as I can tell, BINGO will get you out.
Wall Jump - as he can get a lot of air distance, always be ready to antiair him, especially since he can jump so quick, and he has one of the fastest (if not THE fastest) wall jump.
cMPxxLP Roll loop - BINGO it
EX Sky High Claw crossup: This one’s all you. When you see a yellow ninja fly through you, and DOESN’T put you on block stun, switch your block direction immediately. If you succeed, you get a free punish =)
juMK keep away - walk; HK RK with proper spacing

Hope that helps a little! I’m still learning Cody, just like everyone else. thumbs up

-edit-
EX RK can punish blocked headbutt from Honda =)

Akuma can’t touch Cody when he’s sitting on U1. Shuts down all of his Demon flip game.

What’s the deal with Cody/Ryu matchup?

I put this up in the other thread, now throwing it here. Just from my experience from screwing around with some friends for a bit, have yet to go to the lab to test it out, but it’s on the agenda.

If you can connect a roundhouse ruffian kick off of something like a whiffed fierce / EX Shoryu, it’s a free juggle for a BINGO, probably an ultra. I managed to repeat this again against a Juri that liked to dive kick at max jump height, but I’m not 100% sure if it’s a free follow up to it if it is not a counter hit. Correct me if I’m wrong and if this has already been mentioned.

One last thing I found out on Zangief, if they happen to like that lariat a lot keep a Zonk Punch saved up. If you’re out of range of Gief’s arms and he misses completely, should get a clean BINGO; or so it was in my play throughs online.

HK Ruffian owns the lariat. HK Ruffian owns Gief (beats all his jump-ins, lariat, and I think even green glove), I’ve gotten some hate mail from Giefs, lol.

You can punish with EX Ruffian Kick after a high block when timed correctly.

…and you’re the guy who only gives advice when we’re playing theory fighter. Funny how quiet you are now that the game is out. Care to explain why you should rush down Dudley?

VS Rufus is rough in my experiences… VS dives you can OS slide/throw or jump back jab… OS Slide/throw is risky though becuase sometimes the follow up dive kick will still hit you, but sometimes you will slide udner it.

vs all grapplers it seems you just gotta run away… a good t. hawk will space condor dive well, making you guess between a wiff or hit, and make it hard to punish. Good T hawks will make effictive use of his S. RH makes it hard to play footsies… I dont think it’s as bad as Gief since Gief has more ways to knock you down but it’s still a grind…

Knife is great against dudley :smiley:

Adon:

-You can beat Adon’s HK dive kick (Jaguar Tooth) with Zonk Knuckles, you have to time it right though. You wait for the HK dive kick to almost hit you then release Zonk. It works on ex dive kick as well. Zonk works pretty well against him in general. B+MP also works against all versions of the Dive kick (LK, MK, HK). Use it when you’re closer to him since Zonk doesn’t work against LK and MK Dive kick.

-HK Ruffian will usually trade with the dive kick. No need to do that when Zonk beats it everytime.

-If you j.mk on Adon’s wake-up, and time it so that you’re directly above him when try’s to wake-up Jaguar kick, you’ll either beat it or Adon will whiff.

-From full screen away, Adon can’t do anything to you. Just throw HP rocks. Jaguar kick can go over them but it doesn’t put him in range for him to do anything. And sometimes the rock will hit the Jaguar kick, so Adon basically can only jump over or FA the rocks. He might try to do a Dive kick, but just have Zonk charged while throwing rocks (MP Zonk so you can throw HP rocks).

vs Adon I find that HK Ruffian beats every dive kick except for the EX if done early enough, but if the Zonk works that well I guess it isn’t worth the effort. I also find this match-up in Cody’s favor for now.

As for Zangief, well timed and spaced jump-ins will trade with HK Ruffian, and not always in Cody’s favor so be aware of that. I have difficulties stoping a Zangief from advancing as st.HK and st.MK often trade with his pokes.

I usually have to turtle it up.If i toss out a cr.lp immediately i go for jab CU.I try and crossup mk and go for upclose shenanigans(f.mp,slide,throw,jab blockstrings).She can’t jump in with abandon since HK ruffian beats her non ex kunai and air attacks.

Long story short watch for bingo opportunities and stay patient.If you can get that knockdown you can swing the momentum in your favor.If i lose against an Ibuki it’s mainly because i didn’t hitconfirm my CU’s and lost major damage opportunities.

I runaway from Gief’s.Not as easy to punish as Hawk sadly,but running back and stoning/fake stoning them should frustrate them enough to make mistakes like jumping in or EX greenhanding to get through which you can Zonk/EX Zonk.

Again,like Ibuki if he gets too close for my liking jab xx CU and just run away.It’s a war of attrition but i’m pretty sure lariat beats his ruffians including EX and I don’t trust Zonk unless he throws a big poke out since there is always the threat of reversal SPD or worse reversal ultra. I’m not super pro but this has worked in my experience.

On a side note the Viper and Dhalsim matchups really suck. Seismo beats his EX ruffian so closing space is a bitch and Dhalsim…ugh Zonk only gets you so far.

HALP.

are you serious? lol – you don’t want duds in your face. chuck rocks, make him come to you, use bingo, zone the FUCK out of him. he can’t do anything about it if you can put up a wall and keep him out.

[media=youtube]Rr8Z8JZQWu4[/media]
[media=youtube]I9PWt7wajM0[/media]

RH RK beats almost everything he does as well. if he does a dive, RH RK will beat it clean every time. RH RK will beat spire and you can slide under it as well.

use Dat Knife against everyone and you shall succeed
chris hu knows whats up

or the demon hyo vs mike ross

t hawk gets shanked up like a bitch. rofl.

Couple things I want to point out about some specific matchups

~Rose cannot absorb rocks.
~Bison cannot do a damn thing in the air. A well timed back+MP beats everything, including EX stomp. Also stated earlier, slide ruins a lot of his scissors and pokes.
~Blanka Horizontal Ball cannot be punished on block…if Cody blocked while crouching. If Cody was standing, reversal LK Ruffian will reach.

Reflected/absorbed rocks would be too funny :rofl:

I figured rocks beat scissors, but whatever works (terrible joke)

Can’t Cody do reversal EX Ruffian if he blocks the horizontal ball crouching?

vs. juri - Found c. mp/s.mk stuffs tons of her norms, plus c.mp punishes the cartwheel normal or ex version, so c.mp into CU or RU. once you get the juri player pissed off and start spamming fb’s, just chuck rocks, they will make it through and force her to jump.

vs. t-hawk - this has been covered by previous posts, need to consolidate faster Arkayne!!! =P

vs. deejay - this fight is obnoxious if you get knocked down once you’ll have to deal with cody’s weakness, wakeup. Zone the best you can, i get scared throwin out normals because of dj’s stupid fast c.mk, i suggest run and cheap him before he cheaps you. c.mk snuffs zonk =(

vs. makoto - glue your feet to the ground unless its a meaty crossup, makoto’s j.mk was beating any ranged jumpins then she lands before cody, into dash s.mp or command grab. watch for mak’s ex bars when your poking at her, her ex command grab has armor properties so it can get tricky to poke, i stick to s.mk range against her cuz that’s about the right range for landing a sweep into crossup. Zone when applicable

vs. rufus - rough fight but doable, zone bait c.fp/jump with fake rocks punish accordingly, steer clear of corners use meter to push him back when necessary.

vs. ryu - man fuck ryu…c.mk ho’s out cody something mad. ryu forces cody to fight, ryu then applies c. mk. My only success against ryu has been FA non-tight c.mk>Fb, get some dmg where ya can, play the fireball game if you get up on life. c.mk snuffs zonk

vs. dudley - man this dude is on roids…there is absolutely no means of applicability to try and fight/play footsies against dudley, his normals > yours. chuck rocks, fake rocks to bait dashes, other than that, when people really get dudley down, this fight is gonna be ugly. my only, and only suggestion, don’t duck, dealing with dudley’s lows/sweep is not as bad as eating the auto combo off the overhead. Zone, gl

vs. hakan - I find hakan pretty free, he’s slow, and floats on his jump, zone, bait the slide, shouldn’t be that much of a problem.

vs. bison - ummm help me figure this one out, bison is retarded fast now and it seems incredibly difficult to get him off you, i’m looking for suggestions on this.

i played my friend who picks bison
try to get Dat Knife? asap and jump in fp pressure, cr.lp, st.mp and cut his shadaloo ass uip
the priority of Dat Knife? is out of this world

i like this troll.

Vs. Honda - I noticed that after a blocked headbutt you can punish with M Ruffian Kick. I haven’t tried to punish with EX Ruff but I assume it would work. Also sometimes j.HP knocks Honda out midway through his headbutt.