"We finished practicing now?" Cody Match-up Thread

dudleys that bad huh? lol

Chun

I know some people were saying they were having problems with the Chun matchup, and I was at first also. Played a set with a good Chun on live to try to figure some stuff out, and here’s what I came up with.

As everyone was saying (and was fairly obvious), c.MK beats her s.HP and s.HK clean since they hit high and it slides under. I used this liberally from mid range to get him to stop hitting those buttons.

When he was trying to run away with fireballs, I found it effective to just out-run-away with Bad Stone. Her fireball can’t really keep up, and you can gain positioning by dashing once after a Stone. A few times of seeing that sequence made him weary to try to keep up, and he started trying to do other things.

One thing that’s worth noting is that Chun can’t just Hasan Shu over Bad Stones for free. This was his go-to reaction after he started getting beat in the fireball war, but the Hasan Shu has to be timed a certain way or she will simply run into the Stone. She has to Hasan Shu after the rock is somewhat close, so it’s lower to the ground so she can get over it. Therefore, you predict the Hasan Shu is coming, you can Bad Stone and hold the stone slightly to delay it. If she Hasan Shus on reaction to the pick up, that delay will cause her to run right into it, and as a bonus, each time he tosses the rock to himself, the stun goes up by 10 on the Stone :bgrin:

So after that stuff got understood, we found ourselves at mid range a lot, just kinda playing footsies, and without his s.HP and s.HK feeling strong, he was using a lot of s.MP which beats Cody’s c.MK, and is his last super long range poke (but basically the best one). I quickly found that t.MP beats her s.MP clean every time. As a bonus, you hit her CH and I was able to link sweep on reaction multiple times.

Probably the biggest problem I has was maintaining pressure on her wakeup. I haven’t looked at frame data for Chun, but EX SBK seems significantly faster in this game. It was used to be braindead easy to safejump, and now in training mode, I was unable to safe jump it period, which makes me think it’s now 3f start up :wasted:

So between EX SBK and her ridiculous backdash, I was kind of having trouble maintaining pressure. I’m going to mess around with some option selects to see if I can get something against her backdash, but even then, if my prediction on EX SBK bring 3f now is true, then any OS designed to beat backdash will be vulnerable to EX SBK :shake:

vs Abel: Confirmed that he can EX Tornado Throw you after a blocked j.mk that hits his head, if you try to follow-up with cr.lp. j.hp cr.lp is a tight blockstring, though, even if you hit the top of his head.

vs Guy: Confirmed that you can punish his mp-, hp-, and EX-shoulders on block with s.lp, and you can link cr.lp or cr.mp from that. It’s difficult to time the s.lp correctly, though, especially after mp-shoulder. I tested this by blocking standing, if that makes a difference. cr.lp definitely punishes hp and EX shoulders as well, and also links into cr.lp / cr.mp. I may have punished mp-shoulder with cr.lp once, but I’m not sure. If the frame data is correct then s.lp should be easier to punish with than cr.lp, anyway. I could not punish lp-shoulder even once.

You can punish Juri’s ex pinwheel with U1 if you do it after the first spin, i can do it pretty consistently now, but it’s sorta hard to react to.

Can we get some good info against zangief?

I have yet to battle a good gief, but from what I’ve seen HK Ruffian beats most of its jump-ins and his lariats clean and combined with rocks it helps keeping him at bay. Once close however since Cody’s backdash is trash it might get ugly. I dashed forward a few times under his cross-ups, and I haven’t tested it yet but if EX-Zonk can’t be command-thrown, FADCing it might be Cody’s best bet to escape Gief’s pressure.

what does t. mp mean?

Thats not good advice.

Was having trouble with Blanka balls earlier and figured out how to beat them.

Normals that I use to beat it are: c.HP, and c.HK. Other normals beat it but these two have the best range and priority

HK Ruffian beats all Blanka balls including ex.

You can’t really block and punish so don’t. The only time you should block and punish is when Blanka is in the corner and you’re mid distance or close and they Blanka ball. You can punish with LK Ruffian.

It also beats his Ultra I from the right distance, and trades with it if you’re too close.

Hey guys i’m having troubles with the rufus match up, once he gets in its so damn hard to get him off you with his dive kick pressure. any tips?

A small note for fighting Dudley – if playing keepaway I’m guessing you probably want to avoid charging your rock throws, at least when Duds has meter. Yesterday I got punished for holding a rock throw from what felt like almost full screen by (I think) EX Machine Gun Blow.

Can you Zonk/EX Zonk the dive kicks?

An in depth vs. Ryu matchup would be much appreciated.

Ill update the first post in a bit guys. Been a little busy.

haunts -

Can you elaborate further on the T. Hawk matchup? (Or anyone for that matter…)

I’m basically turtling and beating Dives clean with c.mk while throwing the occasional stone. Feels like a lot of work at the moment. :frowning:

Is there anyway to punish/limit his use of Spire? I fear I am letting him approach with this at will to set up for command grabs. Is this match up basically going to be a “turtle and grind it out” match?

Im having a hard time with Vega.

Can anyone give any tips? I cant get in on him.

Thawk s Free for Cody

S.RH stuffs any jump in attempt thawk tries

MK ruffian Punishes condor spire on reaction

Block condor dive MK ruffian punishes.

Literally VS Hawk there is no reason you should be in his face. Save your eX for the the times you mess up and need to get away use EX ruffian and then rinse and repeat.

What about Ibuki?

I mean she’ll over the place, at least the ones I fight. I’m not good with handling her pressure.

I try to stay out of her range, and poke her with mk or f + hk. most of the time I try to pressure her to make mistakes. can’t say much cause I haven’t fought one that was really tough yet.

anyone have tips for cviper and fuerte?

give some better advice then don’t just bash his advice lol

you can block in punish with ex rk, i know this for sure. Just make sure its not full screen ball. if you getting hit with full screen balls tho thats a shame