Video up! How to turn brawl into a TRADITIONAL FIGHTER! Alternate mode of play

You don’t actually need to use the falling blocks. If you set spikes as the ceiling instead, people must spawn inside the level. You can also stall on falling blocks by jumping on top of them repeatedly, which keeps them from falling. Just a thought.

This mode sounds badass, and the next time I play I’ll be doing it.

If you want more variation on all of this, try making levels with slopes and stuff too. They pretty much end chaingrabs and laserlocks and stuff… well, except for the Ice-Climber nonsense. That junk is just silly :stuck_out_tongue:

That’d be awesome if you were to run this as a side event, I’d love to see what people thought of it. Damage ratio 1.2 is the minimum if you want no infinites or chain grabs, but it would save you the trouble of enforcing rules, so that might be good.

Personally of the three maps, from what myself and the people I play smash with have tried, I think we all agree that the map with the spikes is probably the most fun. It gives you that ring out kind of feel, and if someone is at the edge blocking, you can push them off onto the spikes, lol.

But yeah, I know SWF is pretty much 95% noobs and 5% people that can actually make intelligent posts, so I didn’t worry about it too much.

btw you’re the guy that wrote the preliminary MK guide back in the day, right? If so, <3

Oh yah I forgot to add the part about spikes up top to replace the falling blocks, thanks for reminding me. If this mode gets popular, I’ll definitely make some new maps. It sucks you’re limited on blocks in the stage builder, it won’t let you make block border around the map and then work with what’s in the middle, just making the border uses up like…70% of your alloted blocks >_<

Let me know what you guys think when you finally try it though. :tup:

I’m all up for this idea.

I’ll be sure to do this and possibly get some videos on this.

Also, how do I upload replys to the Wii?
I wouldn’t mind just uploading that footage into my comp so I can put them on youtube and we can see how things go down in your matches Sam… but…
Yeah, I don’t know lol ;o

You’d need one of those little SD cards to insert into the comp and then transfer to the wii. But if you wanna add me on za wii, I’ll give you my info and I can just send you the replays that way.

Wii #: 0024 2825 8422 7778
Brawl FC: down there \ /

My matches were just vs the comp and one was to show the lucario infinite, but, I just wanted to show off combo potential and what not. Someone on SWF posted a vid of what the matches look like on version 1: [media=youtube]MwYYlNF5D1w[/media]

You know what the biggest downside to this is? You can only have one song per stage :smiley:

But really, this does seem interesting, and would be a fun side tournament every now and then. And has anyone thought to try this combined with heavy Brawl? Heavy Brawl has been brought up constantly as an “alternative” that “feels more like Melee”, but the biggest downside was that many characters had balls for recovery in that mode (like Sonic). But combine it with this, which doesn’t require recovery, and you might have some interesting results. Well, it could just turn out to be a really broken game :slight_smile:

haha yeah, I think Heavy mode might give half the cast grab infinites. I wish there was a way to just increase hit stun in the options, that’d make everything perfect.

I tried it out a bit in heavy mode (I used 1.3 damage and 300hp for no particular reason though) and I think it was quite fun. Then again, I was only playing the computer, so a match between humans is bound to be quite different.

One of the big problems I see is projectile spamming and camping become more potent strategies than they already are. Since this is damage based, you don’t need to get close to kill, and can rely solely on projectiles. I can see Toon Link and Snake becoming top tier easily, as they both have several projectiles to mix up to compensate for move decay, and TL in particular as fast enough to play keep away all day while spamming projectiles.

If your character doesn’t have a good projectile, they are at a huge disadvantage. Some of the balance given to characters without projectiles is that they are heavier and therefore survive longer, which is not the case in stamina mode. Characters like DK, Bowser, Wario, Ike, etc. who are viable in stock play don’t stand much of a chance in stamina play.

One of the best feature of smash is that you can kill someone at 0 damage or 300 damage. There is a level of risk at all times. I guess this mode would make the risk escalate faster.

This looks pretty fun, I’ll have to try it out sometime.

Ok, I tried this before, but it always spawned me on top of my ceiling. I guess that it won’t spawn you on spikes, so a spike ceiling is the solution. There is a problem, though. The hit stun in Brawl is noticeably lower than in Melee, and because of the nearly-no-knockback nature of this mode, things that were safe before can be punished. If higher damage ratio increases his stun, I would recommend turning it up. About wall infinites, other infinites, etc., just allow them and play multiple 100 HP rounds. I find that 100 most closely resembles other fighters. If you don’t like how floaty Brawl is, you can set it to heavy in Special Brawl. I, of course, would advocate customs with interesting terrain, rather than mostly flat ones, but regardless of stage design, I think there’s real potential for Stamina tournaments as an alternate format.

^ Not totally. If you’re powershielding a barrage of SH Falco blasters, how do you propose you advance to attack him? What about powershielding needles?

You can hit-cancel most projectiles too. Granted, a few may get through, which is alright in stock mode, where the damage doesn’t mean you’ll get the KO. But in stamina mode, all you have is your HP.

I’m not against playing this way btw, just trying to point out some weaknesses in it.

There’s a jump button if you guys didn’t know.

Also… powershielding has 0 shield damage and you can shield drop instantly into some form of movement. Walking+powershielding lets you advance on a Falco surprisingly quickly.

Plus a damage ratio increase would pretty much eliminate all chaingrabs and infinites, wouldn’t it? Whoever suggested that deserves a medal or something. Or not, because I love my infinites and I hate to see them go :frowning:

This will not eliminate infinites, as a matter of fact it will create a lot more.

What will create more infinites? A higher damage ratio? I don’t know of any infinites it would CREATE.

It does get rid of falco and lucario’s chain grab infinites though. Spike pit / Springs gets rid of dedede’s / laser lock infinites. That’s about everything except ICs.

Well I was mostly looking at that through the IC’s perspective since I play them. Now I can just repeat Dthrow’s to the edge then just do an alternating Bthrow, which is whole lot easier than other alt.throw combinations.

Smash isn’t a fighting game its a party game,just because it has kicks,and punches don’t mean its a FG.If thats the case NHL,Grand theft auto, Metal gear solid, and so on… are fighting games as well.

But oh well, that’s americans for you, always want something easy,so that they can say they have skills.

Pitt fighter > smash

You can’t turn a non-fighting game into a traditional fighting game,being the fact that in traditional fighting games you have to KO your enemy,smash you have to get the most points. LOL.

kiddy game shit.

Amen! :rock:

^^^

Go play in traffic.

I don’t own the game but when I was at GameFrog today I made maps and tested out both the spike and spring versions with 1.1 damage and Heavy weight activated vs the CPU and I have to say wow. It really changes up the flow of the game. It might even nullify a few camp/turtling strategies since you have far less distance between you and your opponent. I tried blaster spamming the CPU with Fox and Falco and while I obviously racked up damage, the CPU was on me the whole time so it actually became dangerous for more than a few shots at once. Bowser actually seemed viable due to the heavy damage he was dealing per hit as opposed to each light shot he was hit by. Dedede gets a little more dangerous since Gordos bounce off the wall for possible rebound hits as opposed to falling off the edge. Smash Balls would have to be banned by default (seriously, Super Sonic or Jigglypuff’s Puff Up/Expand would be murder in such an arena, some FSs like Snake’s would take some charactes out of the arena) but the level itself seems bad for getting a Smash Ball since they tend to get trapped outside the arena (SBs can go up through spikes but not down through them).

I think it may take some experimentation to see which is better, springs or spikes on the edges. Both work rather differently since springs make decent escape options and sometimes make for interesting mind games for airborne attacks since the spring has a different height as a normal jump (which isn’t as low as I thought Heavy would be, then again Heavy is different from Metal) and interrupts air attacks. Also, there are a few new juggles for opponents on a spring while you are on solid ground. Spikes make for nice punishing options when you pressure your opponent to a corner (I forgot to test to see how well it works for redirected Bowser Bombs and airborne Warlocke grabs) but it also makes for a suicide setup for moves like Rollout and Green Missile when they whiff so springs might be a better solution. I’ll need to test against human players for better results and I’ll probably need someone else to do an actual anti-infinites test since I don’t know the game’s inifintes and don’t actually own the game to test as much as I’d like.