Video Game General 6.3: Sekiro has so many damn chickens man. Chickens Everywhere!

No one wants to buy a sinking ship with a horrible reputation to boot.

Fuck them.

Also, yeah, they’ll likely close a lot of stores. Mostly think geek stores and make it online only. Considering how much “geek”/“nerd”/gaming shit they sell in GameStop now (to the point GameStop’s are barely recognizable) it just seems counter productive to keep them open.

1 Like

They could do to have less stores in general, there are 3 stores less then a mile apart from where I work and live.

1 Like

Gamestop will finally die and shopping will be saved. At least for two seconds until everything goes online.

That’s how it was when I lived in Tacoma, WA. There’s like 4 GameStop’s all within minutes of each other. The only decent one was the one I worked at which was in a shopping mall.
There were actually 2 GameStop’s literally back-to-back to each other as wel.

Where I’m at now there are 2 that are fairly close to each other but far enough away from me to not go to them (about a 30 minute drive)

1 Like

I sorta hope the Game Stop near me go out of business as the manager of that game stop is a terrible person on real life and to his employees

People who buy/sell/trade in used games gonna be sad once GameStop is no more.

Maybe. A lot of towns/cities have mom and pop stores now that buy/sell/trade used games. And usually their main draw is “we give more trade and sell for less than GameStop!” There are ton of them in Tacoma and Seattle.

There are a lot where I’m currently at too.

I don’t think anyone would honestly miss GameStop except for clueless parents with offspring who game.

1 Like

If they are smart they where trading in somewhere else that actually gives them value.

They’ll miss GS right up to the moment they realize the trade in value was total shit compared to just about anywhere else.

You can get great deals for trading in games at GameStop as well as purchasing used games, especially if you just want credit to get more games with. I follow the GS thread over on CAG and those dudes make out like bandits a lot of the times, and it’s not even really doing anything special. They just run a lot of promos and specials for people who are the pro members of their rewards program.

I know of exactly 1 mom and pop video game shop within like 30 miles of me and I’m 5 miles north of Washington DC. I’m not saying they don’t exist, but I have like 10 GameStops within 5 miles of me. Going to GS is much more convenient around here.

I personally don’t trade in shit to GS other than when I traded in my X1 and PS4 to get a PS4 Pro because they were running a great promo, and I had just won an X1X from Taco Bell, so I basically upgraded to the new versions for free.

GameStop does this because they make next to no profit on new titles and hardware. Where as their used market is almost entirely profit.

So when you trade in used for New they are still making money. If you trade in used systems for new systems they’re still making money. If you trade in used and do nothing with that credit; they’re still making money.

1 Like

I know this. It’s smart on their part and they probably wouldn’t have been around nearly this long if they never did that.

This is true. And pretty much every video game company fucking hates them for it but realize they are a necessary evil in order to get their product out to the mass markets.

I just saw that video of someone running from Mr X…then gets into a corner where as they look into each hallway he’s in both then 2 show up? WTF!? Nope!

digital downloadable games killed that brick n mortar store company. simple as that. they made a killing during the ps2/xbox era selling used discs, especially to me…but once we all got dat fast internet we all knew that was the end of gamestop. well. not completely. i dont think it’ll completely die but it’ll end up about as big as humble bundle.
my prediction.

yea and devs and publishers HATED gamestop. they swore to themselves that gamestop and other stores selling used discs were causing them losses.
nope.
lets say i wanted a ps2 game like Oni.
i am not paying 60 bucks for a game that isnt worth 10 like Oni.
devs would say “if my Oni game sold once for 60, but got resold 10x over in the used market, that means we lost 600 dollars.”
nope.
because the only person who thought their Oni game was ever worth paying 60 for was the 1st person. everyone else said nope to that deal. but said yes to buying it for way way cheaper.
i personally bought Oni for the ps2. i paid 3 bucks. tbh, thats all its worth to me.
they never lost 600. they might have lost 120 in case some noob made the mistake of paying full price for that game, but thats it.
so devs hated the used game market.
they love digital tho lol. idk why cuz i know my ass, like alot of people, never pays full price unless im 100% sure its a hit or just too hyped. like Nier or the upcoming DMCV. just one month away dear lord.
most of the time i buy when games are 50% off or more.

3 Likes

Of course they love digital. It’s almost 100% profit. It’s why sony and m$ are pushing digital so hard.

Nintendo is kinda pushing digital but at the same time they’ve always done their own thing and don’t really give a fuck about the latest gaming trends. I mean for fucksake they only started embracing DLC a few years ago.

2 Likes

If a game is available in physical and digital, I buy physical 100% of the time, unless digital is like $20 or $30 cheaper. I paid $10 more to get Dead Cells physical (more after taxes) on Switch. The only digital games I’ve really bought are PSVR games that simply are not available physical. I do have Abzu on PS4 which is digital only, and also Golf Story and Graceful Explosion Machine on Switch because they were digital only too. I think those are the only digital games I’ve ever purchased.

3 Likes

I don’t own a single physical game. Haven’t for about 6 years or so now maybe. I mostly play on PC so there’s that. I also have a PS3 and a shit load of digital games on that. And my Vita library is all digital. Its broken but I busted it out last night and had a look at it with a magnifying glass and I think I can fix it.

I have no need of physical games. I never traded in my games anyhow so that’s no loss to me. I don’t have any of the newer consoles and I’m not really interested in any other than perhaps the Switch (I like handhelds).

1 Like

American Mcgee says hes trying to start new Alice title
https://www.americanmcgee.com/

Nintendo 3rd quarter report
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/190131e.pdf

They had to cut the switch forcast to 17 mil, smash is continuing to uh…smash.

Aaand there it is