Video Game General 6.3: Sekiro has so many damn chickens man. Chickens Everywhere!

I have to admit this does bring a smile to my face when anyone gives a good quick roasting to That Company, for any reason…

Vampyr digital pre-order is available already… I’ve never done the digital pre-order thing before; apparently it downloads the whole thing right away, so I actually will be able to play it immediately I guess when it’s scheduled to officially release (Monday 6/04 at 11 pm Central; ohhh yes I will sleep early just to wake up specifically for that.)

Star Ocean: Anamnesis is coming to the West, and pre-registration is open

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.StarOceann

1 Like

I actually prefer this review of the collection over anything Jim would ever say.
Jim at this point will just rant and rant, My Life in Gaming stayed objective and saw how this stacked with past compilations.

I don’t get why they released the game collection when they announced a Genesis mini down the line. I know the Genesis Mini due to it being produced by a certain company likely will be bad but why undercut yourself Sega?

Stuff like this is why they are no longer hardware manufacturers.

1 Like

Wtf. I just saw the dragon’s crown pro comercial. Wtf are they trying to do?

Sell a game. That’s what commercials are meant for.

3 Likes

A commercial that doesn’t show the game at all. Ok.

FFVII’s ad campaign was mostly CGI and avoided showing the game as much as possible. It was one of the most successful video game campaigns of all time.

2 Likes

Modern Call of Duty commercials don’t show the game neither. Just a collection of actors acting out what they can do in the game. Activision spends a small fortune on those.

1 Like

I would put FF7’s success more of the fact that it’s a FF game and the first on a new gen console.

As for CoD… people know what CoD is already. You can do whatever you want and the game will sell.

Who knows what Dragon’s Crown is aside from us?

It being FF didn’t matter much at the time. RPGs were niche in the US. I doubt anyone expect the game to be the mega hit it became.

3 Likes

I feel like you haven’t seen american video game marketing before. Most of the biggest campaigns don’t even show any gameplay or maybe just show a few seconds. I agree that it’s dumb but companies are obviously continuing to do it because it’s more effective at selling the emotion of the product to general consumers

1 Like

I’m guessing you weren’t around at the time. RPGs didn’t sell at all. Although I’m no fan of FFVII, I’m glad the game happened because it proved JRPGs could sell in the west if you advertised them.

6 Likes

Picked up a snes classic today at work. I’ve been on the fence about getting one for a while but I got it for almost $20 off msrp so I figured why not.

When the restock of nes classics come on the 29th I’m going to try and snag one of those.

And hopefully get one of the rumored n64 classics that supposed to be announced at e3

1 Like

yeah, and I really, really hate that shit each time… when it’s nothing but live action. Destiny commercials were the same bullshit… actual people running around in the outfits while some song plays in the background…fuck that.

sheeeeit, I’ve been on a streak of good luck with random teams in Gears 4 Horde lately… went all the way to wave 50 on 3 occasions today. My Engineer is up to level 9 at this point, heavy is about to hit 8 and Scout is well into 8 as well… I also leveled up the health bonus on Scout so now he has +100% Health…naturally this character class is super easy mode since that 1 skill means you have up to double the health…and he has other defensive/tanking skills too, like increased regeneration and a skill where you gain a % of health each time you’re hitting enemies either with melee or shotgun.

Lootbox shit in this game (*it’s unavoidable, sadly)—Elite Pack is the box to get, btw… I’ve acquired legendary stuff much more often from those. Heh, for some reason they gave me the Zombie Minh character 3 times today; I already have him so that was some big-time scrap right there.

I think the Destiny commercials are better in this regard as they have actors portray in-game characters. Activision probably could have produced a short film or TV pilot with the amount of money they dropped on those Destiny commercials.

1 Like

I got Destiny because of Led Zeppelin.

But why in the fuck would I want to play ANY game where it forces the screen to be in portrait mode? And a rpg like this?? Really? Believe me I love Star Ocean games. But being forced to play like this? And probably has stupid laggy forced touch screen controls too.

One of Final Fantasy 7’s tv commericals one of them actually DID spoil Aeris’s death scene too. Shows Cloud holding her in the water. YOU CAN ALWAYS HIT THE RESET BUTTON!

A spoiler doesn’t mean anything without context.

1 Like