Video Game General 6.3: Sekiro has so many damn chickens man. Chickens Everywhere!

Ironically, I chose PS3 over XBox because it came with a blu-ray player :joy:

1 Like

PS3 was the best and cheapest Blu-ray player at the time. It was the only reason to get one at the time.

I didnā€™t get one at launch. I brought my PS3 when MGS4 launched which was around 2008.

1 Like

Is ninja gaiden 2 backwards compatible? No? Fuck MS.

If I need to play any of my 50+ 360 games Iā€™ll plug that bitch in. 500$ for a glorified emulator box and the exclusives are Forza, gears, sea of thieves, some trash zombie game and quantum break? Lmao

Thatā€™s weird. Ninja Gaiden Black has been BC for a while.

And itā€™d in 4K. If the Otogi games and Spike Out ever get announced for BC, Iā€™m buying a Xbone 1x

I donā€™t disagree that it had an influence on how this generation turned out but the initial argument was that Microsoft wasnā€™t consumer friendly and that just isnā€™t the case anymore.

Also I play pretty much every multiplatform game on Xbox so Iā€™m definitely getting my moneyā€™s worth out of it. PS4 is basically just there to run fighting games as I hate using the Dualshock for anything else. Switch is in between.

As someone with a good PC, Xbox play anywhere makes the console essentially useless for me.

3 Likes

Basically, this!!
If you have excellent gaming PC thereā€™s no need for a Xbox.

1 Like

Yeah, no idea why youā€™d buy an Xbox if you have a good PC unless you did it like a week before they announced their cross-platform plans.

from what i remember ps3 was the most expensive console. which most people passed over for the cheaper xbox and wii. and most people didnt care for blue ray. in those days at least.

1 Like

I think Iā€™m ready for endgame.

2 Likes

I have all my 360 games. Need something to play them on. Donā€™t trust the 360 to last.

1 Like

Iā€™ve thought about buying an 360 S to replace the 360 I have currently for this reason. I donā€™t to revisit any games on that platform with any kids I have and discover the thing is a paperweight.

1 Like

Iā€™m loving Shenmue. Arguably more than I did when I played it back then, just because Iā€™m more down to explore instead of finding something and going ā€œwhatā€™s nextā€¦ā€ in a rush to see the next big moment.

The aesthetic and setting were always my favorite parts of the game even when I was down on the game for not having the best beat 'em up sections (one of the main reasons I wanted and bought the game), which led me to disliking it as a game after a couple play throughs.

I think being more patient and now seeing that nothing since has been this detailed has helped as well(I hear Fallout, starting with 3 became this detailed?). The one thing with technology in general is being wowed by something initially and then wondering what awesome thing is going to happen next. I remember gaming articles and fanbases at the time would gloss over Shenmue with this mentality usually citing how upcoming adventure games at the time and beyond were going to blow past this game in terms of detail and refinement. Yeahā€¦

Revisiting the game in current times has only strengthened this game good parts in comparison to what was out at the time and what is out now. Iā€™m hoping Shenmue 3 keeps without having button prompts on what is or isnā€™t discoverable, and keeps the first person mode w/zoom-in for investigating.

Iā€™m hoping the fighting improves. What I mean in that sense, is that thereā€™s better hit-stun and animations to sell the impact. Having fighting game commands and buffers (but not cancelling) was awesome and still is moreso these days. I hope the after-image effect is still in place too.

Itā€™s crazy how this game uses ā€˜quiet spaceā€™ for itā€™s immersion, and is one of my favorite aspects of it, moreso now than back then (which I still dug at the time, just not to this extent). The big thing in the BotW marketing was ā€œSee that mountainā€¦you can go thereā€, with Shenmue itā€™s ā€œSee that objectā€¦you may or may not be able to interact with it, and there may or may not be an itemā€¦do you still want find out if you can interact with it?ā€

I remember the clerk at EB games told me that last part when I bought Shenmue when I asked his thoughts on it since he imported the Japanese release. At the time I was like, ā€œI just want to drop people using the VF engineā€.

The quiet space in this game is just blowing my mind right now and Iā€™m glad I can revisit this game on modern hardware. Looking forward to starting Shenmue 2 since Iā€™ve never played it.

I hope thereā€™s an option for the original control scheme to. I always like using the triggers to walk and run.

2 Likes

Granted at launch PS3s were scarce and people were trying to flip them for literally thousands of dollars on Ebay. But they were the cheapest bluray player on the market. This was also at a time though when flat HDTVs werenā€™t common in most households and even HD channels were a cable premium that people didnā€™t wanna pay extra for. The 360 had already been out a whole year despite the RROD issue and the Wii at least had a few strong games early in itā€™s life cycle. As someone who owned a launch PS3 it was definitely a boring first year owning the system. I mostly used it for ps2 games. Lol.

FUN FACT: I had both a launch 360 and launch PS3 and they both RRODā€™d and YLODā€™d respectively during the same month back in 2011.

3 Likes

This Contra homage game looks good.

6 Likes

Folklore, Lair.

I had a Wii at launch.

I didnā€™t buy a 360 until the ā€œfalconā€ model of the arcade came out. I bought it because it had exclusives I wanted (Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Mass Effect) and it had (at the time) the best ports for games.

Then PS3 started pumping out exclusives and better versions of games seemingly out of no where and the slim came out so I picked up the PS3 and it became my main gaming console almost over night.

The xbone has produced a few games I want (and I do mean few) like Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive but a few titles and a half-ass attempt at backwords compatibility isnā€™t enough for me to drop $250-500 on a console.
For people that want a multi-media machine and has good online gameplay than the xbone is arguably superior because thatā€™s what itā€™s built to do.

If you want great single player game play experiences than you go with Sony or Nintendo.
Online play has never appealed to me so how their online networks are doesnā€™t really concern or bother me much. Iā€™ll play the occasional game of MK8 Deluxe on the Switch my sister and brother-in law back in Seattle but we havenā€™t done that since April.

I care more about content than anything else on a system and the xbone simply doesnā€™t have any Iā€™m interested in enough to invest in their system.

1 Like

Actually the PS3 at launch sold for quarter the price that bluray players were at the time.
The PS3 was 499 to 699 while a dedicated Bluray player was 2000.

The PS3 was $499 and $599 at launch. 20gb versus 60gb. I had 2 of em but ended up returning em because I couldnā€™t flip them for anything.

I sold 4 Xbox 360ā€™s and made like $3500 from those. The first one I sold on launch day for $1700 shipped. I also won 2 of them then bought 3. One of the prize packages included a trip to Zero Hour launch party out in Cali. That was a pretty fun time back then at the 360 launch.