Video Game General 6.3: Sekiro has so many damn chickens man. Chickens Everywhere!

the only thing that has kept me from going nintendo/pc is sonys jap support but since thats quickly becoming not a prob i wont be getting a ps5 till late next gen if at all.

I can see Xbox doing it as they seem to want to make the brand a ecosystem instead of a platform. Itā€™s why xcloud exists, pushing for uniformity between xbox and PC, and supporting cross networking with their rivals.

Except they canā€™t afford the backlash that Sony can. Xbox is in a position where a disc drive is another selling point for them if PS5 is digital. Digital-only consoles announcements wonā€™t garner as much rage as the DRM fiasco, but there will still be a lot of backlash. The Xbox brand is literally still trying to recover from that. They donā€™t want any part of pissing gamers off.

Same reason they will still have an E3 conference. For now, itā€™s an opportunity for them to capitalize on.

2 Likes

A backlash will depend on how they plan on handling things on the new console. Itā€™s a an always online DRM ridden box like the Xbone was suppose to be then yeah, people will shit on it. However, if the absence of a disc drive reduces the cost, offer a year of game pass with the purchase of the console, allow for backups of downloads or shit like that they will have themselves a winner.

Sony canā€™t afford backlash either. If they were invincible, last gen wouldnā€™t have gone the way it did. If they had made the annoucements that MS did for this gen, theyā€™d been in the same situation. A lot of people that bought PS4ā€™s switched from 360 after the announcements, and those guys switched to 360 from PS2.

Now if PS5 does go discless as well, I wouldnā€™t even buy it for fighting games. Iā€™ll only have a PC, with an XBOX controller for most genres, and a Dualshock for the few fighters that actually get released on it.

My next gen console definitely hinge on whoā€™s going discless.

1 Like

I can see some people happy with that. But there are still too many who are into physical games. Thereā€™s gonna be backlash from those people no matter what.

Microsoft needs to ask themselves if the people who are still into physical is a large enough audience to leave behind. They probably have the analytics that would make the risk worth taking.

Sony could get away with it easier due to the fact that PS4 has an enormous install base, and the majority of those gamers are more than likely already strictly digital or would be fine with it, because thatā€™s just the world we live in now. So itā€™s not really about being invincible anymore. It would affect Xbox worse because they have less than half the install base, which leads to a larger margin of pissed off Xbox users. Plus, thereā€™s the simple truth that theyā€™re the ones trying to catch up, so theyā€™re going to want to offer what isnā€™t available elsewhere.

Physical movies isnā€™t going anywhere until streaming can catch up to it. The sound and picture quality in bluray versus streaming isnā€™t even close if you have a quality system. The network infrastructure in the USA isnā€™t ready for those kind of speeds.

Unfortunately though the majority of people donā€™t care about that shit though since they canā€™t tell the difference. But I donā€™t blame em because unless you have a quality setup you will never know But I hit up Redbox every weekend because streaming sound is crap compared to bluray.

PS. I just watched The Meg. So bad, do not watch.

3 Likes

Also throwing out there that Cliffy B did a lil known game called Jazz Jackrabbit before he became known for Gears. Its a shame that heā€™s burnt out on the industry but I get it.

4 Likes

MS is looking to put out underwater data servers in the ocean to decrease latency. I thought they already did this, but apparently not yet.

Fake EDIT, but Iā€™m thinking of our government using submarines as underwater satellites of sorts for faster connections.

I canā€™t see me going with MS next-generation as after this gen, Iā€™m pretty much Sony and Nintendo. Their systems have the Japanese support and convenience. Sega and Platinum being exclusive on MS next-generation is the only I see me grabbing a MS console for not backwards compatibility.

Was at DenDen Town in Osaka checking out some retro stuff.

A thread elsewhere reminded me to look at PSN sales. Hereā€™s another case for not digital.

SNK Heroines. I want it, to at least try combos out. Not gonna play it, but I was hoping it was on PSN for 20 ish. I would have done it. Not a penny more. Itā€™s not on the list.

If that game was physical, I would have been found a copy for 15-20 bucks. But gameā€™s gonna be 50 bucks until the end of time, which is laughable.

1 Like

Probably because you can sell it, lend it, gift it etc.

The moment we go discless is the moment I start reading books instead of playing game.

Koei Tecmo announced DoAX 3 Scarlet for PS4 and Switch
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-18/koei-tecmo-reveals-dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-scarlet-game-for-ps4-switch/.139660

chances of it coming stateside are slim

Iā€™ve gone through soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many items against Lady Maria. Charge attacks are the bane of my existence. Her second form is how imagine what the enemies see before getting hit with the Alarune in Bayonetta 2, lol!

2 Likes

To continue beating a dead horseā€¦ it appears this vid sums up the disaster that is F76 :rofl:

D3 on Switch updateā€” level 70 on 2 characters nowā€¦ Wizard and Necroā€¦ paragon 26 if I recallā€¦ my seasonal character is another wizard that is now level 61.

I finally played a little of Path of Exile on XB1 yesterdayā€¦ of course my character is still a chump right now at level 4ā€¦ Iā€™m interested in making him more of a rogue/assassin poisonous sort of character so Iā€™m following whatever skills appear to take me that route. I still wish this game was playable offline though, man.

1 Like

im selling my copy of f76. and soul calibur as well.

f76 is boring, probably fun if you get people set up in a match. but i dont have time for that.

Naw. None of those are reasons why.

I need this to come stateside so bad. It probably wonā€™t for ps4 because their new-found censorship laws are fucking stupid but for the Switch I am hopeful. They have a lot of digital novels and games like DOAX Scarlet coming out in like the next 6 months. And if something like Senran Kagura Reflections can come stateside with no issue I donā€™t see why DOAX Scarlet canā€™t.