Video Game General 6.3: Sekiro has so many damn chickens man. Chickens Everywhere!

:confounded:

Makes me wonder what’s going to happen with the final season of “The Walking Dead” (game not tv show), I haven’t really cared about the series since S1, but I would like some closure on Clementine.

They said they’ll finish it before shuttering but honestly if it’s that dire, I don’t see that being reasonable.

I was like ‘what?’

Telltale lays off a majority of its staff, small staff leftover to finish the walking dead, stranger things and wolf among us have been canned

Jesus…what the hell happened?

1 Like

Soul calibur vi beta incoming

Actual full update now…telltale is confirmed shutting down for now

1 Like

Target, GameStop and Best Buy still have preorders up for the Playsation Classic

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-classic-console/6301601.p?skuId=6301601

Target and BestBuy charge you immediately but refunds you within a week. GameStop charges once the item ships.

Are there no keynotes or presentations for TGS this year?

No. Just mostly panels and possibly streams. TGS seems to be a bit quiet this year.

No analog for the PS Classic is pretty handicapped. I’m hoping they are using the mini as test to see if they should put them on the PS4.

I want to check out Jumping Flash, but not for $100.

That sucks. I really enjoyed Back to the Future: The Game, Tales from the Borderlands, and The Wolf Among Us from Telltale Games. I had absolutely no idea they were in any kind of financial trouble as their games were pretty much always portrayed in a positive light.

ttg

P.S. Check it (Jumping Flash!) out:

For Telltale, TWD was bringing in the big bucks while everything else did okay or flopped, numbers are probably worse on consoles.

I feel like the main issue was that a majority of their audience would rather see their favorite youtuber/streamer play the game instead of playing it themselves.

5 Likes

They spent too much money getting licenses far above their kale, and if you look at the progression of their games you’ll find that the actual sales of them dropped off a cliff after TWD Season 2. People just stopped caring because while most of the games told excellent stories, the “choices” you’re presented with in the game ultimately amount to nothing. Thus, you can get the entire experience just by watching video rather than playing. Why bother paying out for the games at that point?

I mean it should be disturbingly telling that no big name studio decided to throw some money out to get Telltale under their umbrella and save it.

5 Likes

The adventure genre isn’t particularly all that popular. I mean the “gameplay” involved in these types of games isn’t exactly…exciting.

Telltale was one of the Last of the Mohicans releasing games in the genre and they weren’t selling well. I think that says a lot. It’s not like there’s much competition either outside of LucasArts re-releases and…Life is Strange?

Everything they released was crap. Good riddance.

1 Like

They were releasing them too frequently and the big thing is again, the licensing. All but what, one of their games, were based on a license they themselves had to go out of their way to pay to use. You eventually have to make your own IP otherwise you don’t actually make any money and it’s also one of the two reasons no developer bothered to pick up Telltale. There’s no IP of value to obtain from Telltale. If you want an IP Telltale was using, you’d have to talk to other companies anyway so why bother?

The other is…well, at no point did they bother to innovate. They relied on their storytelling and at no point really advanced their engine, advanced the actual gameplay. Outside of the story, every game was exactly the same. If fucking Ace Attorney can continue to advance and do different things within what is relatively straightforward gameplay, Telltale had absolutely no excuse.

1 Like

Telltale also had in a range of 150-250 employees. I’m no game developer, but that’s way to many employees for point and click games. Everything is cancelled besides some Minecraft crap and I think episode 2 of the final season of The Walking Dead (although I do believe it is cancelled).

It was announced not too long after they said they would finish up TWD that everything is cancelled, which as I mentioned earlier, was the obvious direction. You don’t lay off 95% of your employees and still find time to finish off a game. There’s also very little incentive for trying to finish when you know that there won’t be a job afterwards.

Ok Warhammer: Chaosbane … god fuckin damn man I am not sure why this little piece of info is so tough to find… all I’m wanting to know is whether or not this shit requires an internet connection like so many other dumbass games these days… I would assume it doesn’t but all bets are off at this point as this industry foolishly heads into that direction, with a surprising # of gamers actually being fine with that horseshit. Warhammer Inquisitor had my attention, and was looking quite nice…until I found out that it requires a connection at all times…yes, even when you’re playing single player shit.:roll_eyes: It immediately killed my interest in that… I suppose I’ll find out eventually.

Imagine the world in the near future… where you start up something like… a new Devil May Cry… just some single player stylish action fun… but oh no you CAN’T play because the internet is wonky today…or the company’s servers are down for maintenance…or that company went out of business so they turned it OFF which means you can’t play it anymore, ever…OR they lost the license to something to they had to turn the servers off as a result, etc. etc. etc. THAT is the future this moronic industry seems to want, and fuck that. I’d rather it all burn to the ground than go that route. I get irritated the more I think about that.

Think of how insane that sounds with anything else, man—what if you bought a new Toyota Camry and it was fine…then the Toyota company fell on some hard times, or a natural disaster struck corporate hq, whatever…and now since the company is gone…suddenly you’re stuck with a lemon. Your car won’t start anymore because they’re gone. What if you bought your favorite film on blu-ray but now you can’t watch it one day because Paramount Pictures just went belly up. GET the fuck outta here with that. It amazes me that so many people are ok with this foolishness.

Telltale took on a lot of projects. They were developing two or three games at a time. That justifies the number of people who worked at the studio.