Ultimate Guide to Cap: Combos/Tech/Resets/Set Ups/Videos/etc

If your assist stays on the screen for a long time, they can get hit by bionic arm. So this trick only works during assist’s startup

Ah, this game seems to have a lot of weird cases of assist invincibility. I’m still trying to figure it out. Jam session feels like it gets random invincibility all the time when I try to punish in on its start up. I haven’t found a significant find with this yet though…more testing is needed to see if this can extend beyond that scenario.

Yo pwn, you looked in to the guard break with rapid slash at all? I still can’t get it to work consistently and was wondering if you had messed around with it any?

bout to hit the lab now…i’ll tell you if i have anything in the next hour or two

first 10 min…no luck on c.L…but i indeed managed the throw. No consistency but somehow it worked once off a c.:h:, :a1:+qcb+:h:, b+:h: = untechable throw…

[edit] Getting more consistency. It seems when the opponent is crouching it happens. so far the above listed example (completely flush in the corner and ASAP CS + assist) and mashing b+:h: as fast as i can has about a 10% chance. This might not be a bad idea just to attempt anyway since you’ll likely trip them up with a normal throw anyway.

What were you testing with the c.L? I can’t tell if it’s a frame trap or not and have no clue how to test it, may do some digging on that right now. Do you plink H~MorL when you go for throw to option select the throw/backdash?

I had a friend that got hit ONCE with the c.L after that setup and was so afraid of it he just sat there down backing from then on, led to a few throws that I can’t seem to convert off of. I’ve been in the lab practicing that combo so long and can hit it most the time, just never in a match.

How’s your Strider coming along?

I’ll have to experiment more. Anything after qcb+:h: + rapid slash should be + frames, so really anything is a frame trap or a block string based on your stagger. c.:l: likely is catching chicken block attempts too. This is thy rapid slash is so amazing with Cap, free attempt to throw out charging star safely and you get to keep attacking on block. I do this all the time as well and it does work quite well. I’ll often mix in tic throws as well or a do a block string and call my next assists and try to repeat the pressure till they panic and make a risky move to get out of the corner.

I’ll test plink dashing to throw. Right now it’s hard to tell because this may be weird training mode oddities, but I think there’s something to this untechable throw set up. It happened enough times that I think it might be consistently set up once we figure out what’s going on. This will make Cap’s pressure game absolutely insane. Cap could really go up a few in tiers if he has unblockables with this pairing.

Strider is working out great. He’s still a pain, but I’m figuring him out on point. I’m feeling more and more confidant in this team. I’ve noticed bad matchups becoming less and less of an issue. Even when Strider isn’t landing hits, he’s creating paranoia that he might be called. This makes the more cautious and more prone to blocking and falling into my block pressure game. Plus strider can result in some very absurd cross up scenarios that I often have no idea which side I’ll be on. I do Vajra+kara roll on incoming and will nail them as soon as they appear and sometimes not cross them up. It’s very ambiguous. I think there’s a good chance I will ride this team out all the way till the next EVO, it feels much stronger than Cap/vergil/doom.

I still like cap/doom, but I feel doom needs to be 2nd and that means you need an anchor assist that helps his bad MUs since cap and doom share common bad match ups from time to time. We know Doom/vergil is an awesome shell, but I think it might need a more well rounded point than Cap to give it more options. I can’t stress how bad point hawkeye snapping Cap to anchor and putting Doom on point fucked me over in EVO this year. None of those assists help him in that MU and your only smart option is DHC to get vergil out before doom gets mauled. Hard tags mean getting hit by gimlet and and DHC follow up. Cap/doom/??? without vergil (crazy words) might be a better options and put a utility assist to curb out neutral game issues.

On another note Strider XF3 “oreo” power up amuses the shit out of me for derpy wins…I feel like I’m finally playing Mahvel.

Good to hear. Just glad I can keep figuring new stuff out with Cap. I’ve got ToD combo’s off of almost every stray hit now, still working on super jump confirms. I know it can be done but the spacing and timing are proving to be a bitch. Knowing when to super jump back up to get another j.H shield is really throwing me off.

I’ve found Cap’s best game comes when you can get them in to the corner. It allows for the space control to always know your shield are in range and the pressure from rapid slash charging star has really upped my game. Now if I could only deal with people like Wesker that can teleport through the shields and punish for free.

Wesker was one of the reasons i like Strider. Strider can give him hell if he’s not careful with teleport gun shot spam. With doom/vergil, i found i would unsafely CS while my assist got nailed by the bullet. But yeah Cap when he has someone boxed in is lethal. Your whole game should just be about getting that positioning whenever possible.

For super jumps, i do 3 :h:, qcf+:atk:'s to bring them down and then relaunch into standard BnB. you can toss in a :m: too to correct heights.

hey guys, I’m back and I’m thinking of picking up ifbpwnstar’s team but with charging star assist. do you have combo extensions for captain with strider assist?

Why charging star assist? I understand it’s a good gtfo me assist and can be used for some meter eating alpha counter tech, but I don’t feel that over rides how much shield does for Vergil. Shield can convert helm breakers and is a gdlk teleport mixup. Not trying to tell you not to use it, just wondering what your reasons are.

I have to agree…While in most cases I feel cap’s assist is really to the players liking…SS w/ vergil is stupid. You get 2 free mix ups and frame advantage to do whatever afterwards just for them blocking something like a s.:h:.

Do blocked. hyper CS > devil trigger, s.:h:+:a1:, teleport x2 and tell me how you feel…

Combo extensions:

[list]
[*]midscreen ender - BnB~relaunch = sjc.:m::m::h: d+:h::s: (land), :a2:, j.qcf+:l: (OTG), assist hits, j.qcf+:l: (OTG), dash, qcb+:l:, qcb+:h:, qcb+:atk::atk: (this is most consistent with that relaunch ender, other enders require extra adjustmens after landing)

[*]midscreen alt ender - BnB, j.qcf+:l: (OTG), dash, :a2:, qcb+:l:, qcb+:l: assist hits, qcf+:l:(OTG), qcb+:atk::atk:

[*]corner OTG relaunch - :a2:, qcf+:l: (OTG), walk backwards, assist hits, anything into :s:

[*]corner ender - BnB~relaunch = sjc.:m::m::h: d+:h::s: (land), :a2:, j.qcf+:l: (OTG), back dash, assist hits, qcb+:l:, qcb+:h:, qcb+:atk::atk:

[*]S&S confirm - :a2:, slight delay, dpf+:m:/:h:, assist hits, qcf+:l: (OTG), etc…
[/list]

hmm…sad to see to Cap forum so dead. I don’t play him much anymore, but here are two things that I don’t see mentioned anywhere.

Back-Air Grab conversion: Cap can convert of his back-air grab if he is really close to the ground and back dashes quickly. This similar to his back-ground throw conversion but with tighter timing. Not really that useful for random air grabs in normal jump space, but it can be useful if you read your opponent’s chicken block or whatever.

L. Charging Star conversion: This is useful if you learn to use CS as an anti-air, basically if your opponent is airborne you recover quickly enough to combo with c.L or s.L. It feels easier to use c.L(for me at least) but s.L converts in more situations/body types. Spamming s.L is probably a safer anti-air choice…but this works too.

The light charging star follow up has been explored- Ken123103 had a video exploring resets you could in Vanilla.

However, as obvious as it had seemed, I didn’t really think of following up off of Cap’s back airthrow. I can’t even remember what Cap’s back airthrow looks like lol. If Anything I would’ve tried using my assists to convert. But I’ll try out the solo conversions. Seems really useful :slight_smile:

mostly been using it to create space (gtfo) and for the 50/50 teleport mixup.

I’ll try it with shield slash and I’ll let you know. Thanks for the combos

Anybody have a more consistent way to land two HCS with sent drones? I was in training mode and thought I had something but wasn’t consistent at all (also not even close to optimal). I was going to type it out but it was a few days ago and I forgot the exact notation. It was in the corner, sj. up back after launch j. h xx light shield slash, j. h xx medium shield slash, call drones, HCS, drones hit, l charging star, h charging star, HCS. Could only get it a few times and I’m not 100% sure that notation is correct. Anyway, if I can get a double HCS combo, it’d do wonders for new teams since a lot of characters I want to put on second have weak DHCs.

I’ll double check the notations, it’s been awhile. When doing it though, it was very hard to set up in a match and have it be consistent even in training. There is definitely a sweet spot and some character specific issues to look into. But If dmg is an issue, see if you may have a hard tag combo off of c.:h: qcf+:h:, TACs, putting sent 2nd (I really don’t like purely front loaded teams with weak anchors just for assist, ideally sent is best 2nd when on point. Sent also DHC/THC REALLY well with cap).

What characters are your trying to pair?

Just experimenting with different teams. My main team’s been Cap/Sent/Mags for a while, but kinda bored with it.

Well what are you looking for? I would say the double HCS with cap/sent isn’t reliable. It’s very finicky and more style until something more consistent is found. Cap’s got a few interesting shells that are worth investing time into and offer some neat tech. He’s more than just assist+roll and jump shield slash, Cap has great pressure and frame traps with the right assists. Neat shells with cap:

doom(any), vergil(rs), RR(log or spitfire), Task (h arrow), dante (weasel), Strange (bolts)

Those all offer some interesting options and are good with Cap.

If you want a powerful shell I think Cap/vergil is probably the best shell he has. The tech I’ve been adding on is insane.

@SmokeMaxx what teams you been experimenting with? I’ve switched to Cap/Mag/Akuma. I’m possibly leaving Doom although I feel he could be interchangeable with Mags in my team (but Magneto is my second favourite character so probably not happening lol). Ifb’s made some good suggestions too.

I wanted to see if Amatersasu, Hsien-ko or Deadpool could work with Cap. But with the former two, there isn’t much synergy from my experimentation.

Haha my newest guilty pleasure which does NOT work well as a “main team” (but seems to work well as a counter) is Cap/Nem/Haggar. It’s very fun to play although it doesn’t provide anything special tech wise that I can think of. I’ve tried Ammy, Hsien, and Deadpool with Cap (and I think Mags) and I think there are strengths to each of them, but I just didn’t like how any of those characters played so I didn’t take them to the lab for very long.