Tip on executing combos

I don’t think that’s the way you should go about it. I’m nowhere near mastering the st.MP, cr.MK into SBK combo and I can’t even hit cr.LP into st.MP consistently. But that’s just the way it is. My execution isn’t the best but I enjoy playing Chun and accept that I’ll never be the best with her. I’d rather pick someone I like and be okay with not utilizing him/her to his full potential than going for a simple and basic character I don’t enjoy using.

Lots of practice. If you can get it once, then you know how to do it. There’s no trick to it. I practiced it to the point where I don’t feel like it’s difficult anymore. So I’m sure you can do it too if you just put in the time.

I’ve landed it a few times but still no go. It’s a different timing. I treat it as a a link from the c.LP to the s.MP xx EX Kikoken. If I omit the c.LP I can get it no problem but once I have to link it issues arise.

As soon as you press st.mp, immediately do forward + punches to get the EX kikoken, don’t try to time it.

I’ll mess with it some later tonight. There’s a 23 point difference between both damage and stun from doing c.LP s.LP xx EX Kikoken and doing c.LP s.MP xx EX Kikoken both ending in c.MK xx MK SBK

As soon as you press the st.mp your stick should be in neutral so the instant hold down the split second after you hit the mp.

If you have trouble and end up mp sliding you are pressing down too fast so adjust.

Then hit mk and wait till you see chuns leg out at full reach then up and mk for the legs.

If anyone is still having trouble with ia-legs I think I’ve found the most reliable and consistent way to do it
Let me first say that this move is pretty fucking weird. I always had the impression that there was some weird input mechanic behind this and now I am 100% sure.

Anyway, my motion is:

qcf,u/f,f,d/f,d + K or with numbers: 2369632 + K

and well, apparently doing the reverse-qcf motion isn’t just to get the timing.
I am in training right now and every time I mess it up is because i miss a direction when going from uf to d, like it has nothing to do with timing. I can do it super fast or very slow and, as long as all those directions are touched, I get the legs. I can even do it so slow that I get only 2 hits on a standing character.

The point of this combo is not only that its optimal its the position it leaves you if your planning on playing chun li seriously this is pretty much your bnb combo there quite frankly is no replacement.

As for the alioune combo ( c.lp , st.mp , ex fireball , c.mk , mk spinning bird) any tips?

I’ll give this a shot. I can only pull off this link say 3-4 out of 20 times. I haven’t thought of thinking of cr.mk as a hit confirm.

This is interesting and I’ve seen others in the thread say they do this motion too. I’ll give this a try. I’ve been doing it the other way with lots of success. I do it kind of like an extended shoryuken or hadouken. My motion is u/f,f,d/f,d,qcf + K. The faster I do it the lower she starts in the air. I think she may start lower in the air with your motion though.

I have more trouble linking cr_jab > st_mp than actually following through from st_mp > cr_mk xx mk_sbk

charge times are alot faster than SF4 it seems or maybe im just charge buffering without even realizing it.

google “3rd strike charge buffering” if you arent familiar with the term “charge buffering”. seems relevant in this game. Im buffering the charge inbetween pressing ST_MP and CR_MK instead of trying to charge as soon at hitting CR_MK…if that makes any sense. Just start charging earlier pretty much, its easy imo. Good way to practice this is just practice hit confirming the MK_SBK with only CR_MK in matches.

You can just crossup MK or fake-crossup HK > CR_MK xx MK_SBK to get accustomed to charging MK_SBK instantly.

actually the hardest thing for me is late cancelling the cr.MK to combo… it’s usually either too early and so won’t have enough charge time for the SBK, or i cancel into cr.MK too late which means no combo…

any tips on timing late cancels?

The way I practiced was practicing in V-trigger. When the second mk hitspark hits in V-trigger, that’s roughly around when you should cancel

Hey guys,

I recently found a little neat trick for the Alioune Charge partition ex fireball combo with Chun li. I call it the “TJ method” lol. It uses a bit of SF4 Plinking. Wanted to help find a way to help eachother out to figure out the best method for this combo! :slight_smile:

See videos below:

https://youtu.be/W8cigKRLOuo

https://youtu.be/X1o3-uu_EVM

you could possibly get the same result by plinking LP and MP instead of MP and 3xP. but not only plinking them together but holding and releasing it slightly later to negative edge it.

i’ll try it tomorow (its late at night here) and if it works then i will see if I can record it on my playstation and post it.

Was playing online earlier and was hitting instant air kicks without even thinking. Its alot like the cammy instant cannon spike in SF 4… pretty much the same exact thing.

The ex fireball for me is the easier part. I have trouble linking the cr.mk after it. Is it me or is it really strict?

Also, any chance somebody posts a video of the hands doing the late cr.mk cancel? All the videos I see focus on the screen, but I actually wanted to see (or hear) the timing for each button. It actually helps a lot.

I can try to make a video with my hands to show you.

Like others and Dasblackman said try doing it in V-trigger for a while first. This helped me immensely. I can probably do the combo 6 out of 10 attempts now. I’ll practice it some more do so I can do is more consistently.

In the training settings set the V-trigger to infinite so you don’t have to keep activating it. When you do the combo you need to cancel into SBK from cr.MK just after you hear that second hit from cr.MK. It’s weird I know. Many combos didn’t work in SF4/USF4 with such a late cancel. But that’s the way this one works. When you get it down while in v-trigger then you should be able to do it in her normal state.

It was hard for me because my brain wants me to hit cr.mk late so I have enough charge time to quickly cancel into SBK. Obviously that doesn’t work because I won’t connect with cr.mk if I delay it. You basically have to immediately start charging after you throw out st.mp and wait just a tad longer when canceling into SBK from cr.mk than you normally would.

Someone told me they tried using the turbo function on his pad to figure out the timing my just holding MK after hitting cr.mk. He was able to do the combo easier after that because he understood when to cancel.

This REALLY helped. I started just doing the light version as well…

To add to that. I started QUICKLY TAPPING m.p…then down in quick succession. Meaning…instead of 1, 2…(mp then down) I did 1 2(mp down). That seemed to help me charge better. As far as the mk after the mp. You have to get used to the time. Its basically 1 and a 2.(say it out loud.) Do that 10 times without droppin it on each side. Once you get that try the rest of the combo.