Tiers for non-fighting games?

Tiers would be level dependent in my opinion.

Village:

Top-tier- Leon (yes, Leon. His shotgun and funneling tactics in this level as AMAZING.)
High-tier- Ada(for some odd reason she gets the job done way better then the others.) Wesker (He does seem to be low on ammo more often because of his limited capacity and such.), Krauser (he does seem to have problems with his bow in areas for some odd reason.
Mid-tierHunk (Ridiculous combos in this level, he’s not that much worse in this level than the others, just couldn’t keep him in the same tier.)

Castle:

Top-tier-Krauser (this level just works well for him in the way they line up for him compared to other characters… his flash grenades are extra useful, and the Garradors are no problem, which is a big deal.)
high-tier- Wesker(Wesker has problems in this level, he’s still great and better than Ada.)
mid-tierHunk, Ada.
bottom-tierLeon (He REALLY struggles on this level. The basic reason for him being any good-the shotgun, stinks… Garradors and plagas and arrows aren’t your reload time’s friends… so much for bonuses.)

I’ll add the other two levels later.

Way of the Samurai 2

-Top Tier (swords)
Biteikotsu
Hairando

-Upper mid
Murasame
Izumo-no-shira
(God) Zankimaru
Rinne
Oborokuziyo

Final Fantasy VII

Aerith (who else can make your party invincible?)
Yuffie (Conformer + Morph = happy source collecting)

-Mid (multi-hitting limits)
Cloud
Barret
Cid

-Bottom (randomness and one-hit limits aren’t good)
Red XIII
Vincent
Tifa
Cait Sith

FF6 Tiers

I suppose I’ll contribute another set of RPG tiers. These are not as solid as my Chrono Trigger tiers because I am not as intimately familiar with the game. Still, I think they are fairly accurate.

Final Fantasy 6 Natural Magic Game* Tiers

*Characters cannot equip anything that teaches a spell unless that character already knows that spell.

Top Tier:
Terra - She still has magic, which simply wins in FF6. In addition, she really good equipment and Morph, which is just absurd.

Gau - Gau is the versatility machine.Rages give him a variety of riduclous stuff, including attacks which act as the equivalent to level 3 magic almost immediately after he joins the party. He also has the Stray Cat rage, which does 4x attack 25% of the time. Also, he can equip the Snow Muffler, which is an insanely high defense armor.

Celes - She also has magic, though not as strong as Terra. She is pretty similar to Terra in nearly every regard, though she has the added option of imping herself and being set up as an imp fighter or dragoon (with the imp equipment all being very good).

Gogo - Has access to magic through mimic. Only person who can equip things that normally teach magic (since it cannot learn spells). This is of primary importance because of the Paladin Shield. Beats Gau in versatility, but because of stats, does not do everything quite as well.

Mid Tier:
Mog - Dances do really well in the World of Balance (with incredible levels of ownage on the Floating Continent), but fall off in World of Ruin. Fortunately, he can immediately switch to a dragoon setup. This works really well because he can equip the Pearl/Aura Lance and is very quick, allowing for many attacks at once through Dragon Horn. He too can equip the Snow Muffler, so he can absorb damage if not acting as a dragoon.

Edgar - Could conceivably be higher than Mog because the difference between their abilities is slight. Instead of dances , Edgar has tools, which also do well in World of Balance before falling off in World of Ruin. He has very good equipment, but most of it does not work with his dragoon setup, which is his best option in World of Ruin.

Setzer - Slots are very good throughout the game if the player has taken the time to learn how to use them effectively. Regardless, they still do decent damage with easy to achieve 7-Flush. Becomes really effective with Fixed Dice and Offering, which can be obtained very easily as soon as Mog is acquired. Fixed Dice do not suffer from Offering’s usual 50% damage reduction, so Setzer becomes a very effective source of damage.

Shadow - Begins the game with very good stats, which become more important without the stat boosting Espers. Throw is a very good skill, even using cheap and easy to acquire Shurikens. Throw also allows for a variety of elemental attacks, which are hard to find without magic. Also, Throw allows Shadow to make the entire party immune to physical attakcs and to heal party members (throw Earth Rods at Gaia Gear wearers). Plus, he has Interceptor, who is simply awesome.

Low Tier:
Strago - Lores allow for magic equivalent attacks, even though they are difficult to find (much harder than Gau’s good rages, which are mostly found immediately). Beyond that, Strago has pretty good M. Block and can use Healing Rods on members of the party.

Sabin - Everybody loves to put Sabin really high normally, but NMG reveals that he starts out as an average character and then becomes overshadowed quickly. Blitzes are pretty good for damage early in World of Balance, but lose effectiveness later because of his low magic power. In this regard, he is completely useless when Gogo enters the party (Gogo can use Blitzes and does more damage because of higher magic power).

Locke - Locke is normally very good, but cannot compete in a NMG. His best option for damage late in the game is Genji Glove and Offering. The problem is this setup requires very high vigor, which cannot be increased in NMG with the lack of Espers. Thus, Locke is left behind in damage pretty quickly by many characters. Still, he has good equipment, good speed and a decent skill early on with Steal/Mug. These keep him out of Bottom Tier.

Bottom Tier:
Cyan - Cyan is good when he first enters the party and then never again. Dispatch is better than his normal attack, but it still is not very good. His other STechs are slow and thus ineffective.

Umaro - Completely random and not very good (though above Relm).

Relm - Has very high magic power which completly goes to waste. Beyond that, she has nothing except a potentially game breaking glitch (not ST Akuma game breaking - fuck up your save files game breaking). She is quick though, so you can be reminded of her uselessness often within any battle. I guess that accounts for something.

theres an ooold as thread where we tier everything from bushido blade to all the ff games i suggest u people find it very good resource
off the top of my head
no fuckin way cid is that low in ff7 chars with one hit limits? are u kidding me?
no way cyan wherehe is cyan is the most god like char in the game ff6

someone explain how xp professional is lower then xp home…

Actually, thats a bit wrong.

Sophia was broken.
Maria and Nel were top.
Fayt and the others were… urm… I forget the rest.

I remember Sophia could easily do 100% stun combos on everyone, including Freya on 4D. Just have her max out INT and keep casting the movie Lightning Strike (I think that was the name of it).

There was more to the combo, but it was because of LS it made the combo possible.

EDIT: Oops, I thought the whole 6 hours back thing deleted my first post, hahahahaha.

I gotta pick up XL at some point, I love me some Koei games, so it’s inevitable, probably before I pick up DW5. Hanzo is the effin’ man, yeah, I kinda left him out…him, Mitsuhide and Yukimura were the first peeps I finished it with…

I must admit that I am not a fan of Cyan in general, so in not using him, I may have missed something. The only really strong point about him I have seen is the Psycho Cyan glitch. While that is really overpowered, it takes quite a few turns to set up properly with many conditions having to be met. In that time, most enemies can be damaged quite a bit with a party of four good characters, so I don’t see how that might suddenly turn him into a god like character. Plus, he is completely dependant on two other characters in order to carry out the glitch, so it cannot really be attributed to him being a good character. Rather, it is possible to consider a party like that as top tier on a list of parties.

Sorry abut that, was thinking about a different version of Sweet Tooth. For TM3, was there a code that made Primeval selectable. That thing was sweet.

No way is Relm below Umaro. No way should anyone be below Umaro. This should be obvious because everyone else is controllable (with the exception of Gau’s Rages, but you get to choose the Rage). I mean, Relm can still double Ultima for one MP, which is much better than anything Umaro has.

Other than that, I can’t really comment too much because I’m not too familiar with the game, but Umaro not being dead last is a glaring error.

Also, good job with the Chrono Trigger tiers. They’re just about perfect.

The tiers I posted were for a Natural Magic Game. That means, nobody can use magic (except for Terra, Celes and Gogo) because they do not learn magic naturally. Thus, Relm is pure shit. Her only good quality normally is having the highest magic power. This does not benefit her without any magic to use. I believe I mentioned all this in the original post.

That’s pretty off…

Blaze

Mid
Axel
Dr. Zan

Bottom
Skate

I never bothered tiering bonus characters. I’m willing to listen to the reasons for your listing, though.

EDIT: You were factoring in 6-button availability, right?

if u look at it like a formula then i def see your point, i was refering to overall ability to excel

Obviously, I missed that part. My mistake “:^)”

Advance Wars 2 (CO tier list)

Not specific order in each tier class. Also, tiering may differ on specific type of maps, but overall, I’d say this is pretty accurate.

-God tier
Sturm
Hachi
Colin (DGR)
Nell

-Top tier
Kanbei
Lash
Colin

-Upper mid
Grit
Hawke

-Mid tier
Sami
Andy
Max
Olaf
Drake
Jess
Eagle
Sensei

-Low tier
Adder
Flak
Sonja

Anyone play any shmups seriously and wanna give some tiers for those games? How about Raiden Fighters Jet for starters? I’ll experiment a bit and give my opinion of the tiers.

Tops (imho)

Diablo 2x 1.10
Dual Dream Sorc w/pure vita
Bonemancer w/enigma+marrowalks
Wind Druid w/enigma
Charge+Hammer Pally

MUonline
Pure Vita BK w/max reflect equip.
Wizard w/ energy shield maxed
Agility Elf

JediKnight2 Multy-player
DarkSide w/Drain, grip+kick combo, and elec to finish.

Star Ocean 3

Top: Maria
Second: Sophia, Cliff, Fayt
Mid: Nel, Albel, Mirage
Bottom: Peppita, Roger, Adray

Sophia stunlocking is nice, but it’s not damaging. Maria’s Scatter Beam combos and then later Energy Burst combos propel her to the the most broken spot.

Final Fantasy 6

The problem with tiering this game is, it’s hard to find a “standard.” Do you go with “max level/max stats”? At that point, everyone is nearly the same. Do you go with low-level or natural-magic restrictions? You can, but who really plays that way. So the best way is to tier it under an ambiguous “normal” play conditions, whatever you think “normal” is. IMO, that means you can gain spells from Espers, but you don’t purposely overlevel nor spend time getting every little secret there is. As such I’d tier FF6:

Top: Terra, Celes, Edgar, Gau
Second: Mog, Shadow, Gogo
Mid: Sabin, Setzer, Locke, Relm
Bottom: Strago, Cyan, Umaro

The reason I made NMG tiers is because that is the only way I like to play the game. The first time through, I used Espers and quickly realized that any character with a few key spells can be top tier. With Espers teaching spells and adjusting stats, tiers are not that important. It basically becomes:

Top Tier:
Anyone with Ultima, Quick, Life 3 and Osmose

Low Tier:
Anyone without all of those spells

Bottom Tier:
Umaro

That’s why I prefer to use NMG, leaving the characters as they start and without tampering with them. It is not a perfect system because some characters are clearly meant to use Espers (Relm), but it allows for individual strengths to shine through. Otherwise, the characters’ skills are lost to generic magic use akin to FF7.

In any case, I agree with your list for the most part. I would put Relm higher because she has the highest natural magic power, which would mean her spells only do less damage than Morphed Terra. I would also put Setzer at least ahead of Sabin and probably into Second tier because he is the best Offering user without unnatural vigor boosting and he can do really high damage with his slots (which are hard to time, but not impossible). Other than those two, I find no problems.

Uh, totally wrong. The best kingdom based on their officers is by far Shu, because they have a large number of spear users, and spears are the best weapons due to their crowd-controlling. The Shu spear users are also the fastest spear wielders in the game, and combined with the long range, makes them lethal. Shu also has one of the best sword users in Liu Bei, and in DW4, the best dueler in Zhuge Liang. Kingdom ranks go:

Shu (due to spear users), Wu (most balanced kingdom), Wei (power, but slow as shit, making most of their officers suck), then other (only good officers are Zuo Ci (broken), Lu Bu (less broken) and Zhu Rong).

The FF6 rankings that people are posting are also wrong. It is well-established that the best 4 characters are by far:
Terra, Celes, Locke and Edgar

Atma/Illumina Exclusivity makes them better than all other characters (Atma allows 39996 damage in one attack without stat boosts or using MP), plus their armor set is also better than almost anyone elses.

FF6 rankings should go:
1)Terra
2)Locke
3)Edgar
4)Celes
5)Cyan
6)Sabin
7)Shadow
8)Gau
9)Gogo
10)Mog
11)Strago
12)Setzer
13)Relm
14)Umaro

Atma Weapon is really not that great of a weapon. By the time you are dealing sizable damage with it, your characters are already too highly leveled. Similarly, Locke isn’t that great of a character either. His magic stat is too low, he doesn’t get nearly the good %MBlock equipment that Terra, Celes, and Edgar has; and stealing won’t get you anything worthwhile.

Cyan stinks. Other than the Psycho Cyan glitch (which as mentioned before, takes time to setup; time that could’ve been used just to kill the enemies outright), his SwdTech skill is probably tied with Relm’s Sketch as worst skillset in the game. Why? Who would want to sit there and WAIT for that slowass bar to fill up, while your party is being smacked around when you could’ve just used the other 3 characters and finished the battle already? Not to mention his equips and magic stat aren’t that hot either. Cyan deserves his bottom-tier status.

Gau is good; really good actually. He’s probably your best damage dealer in the WoB because many Rages are far more powerful than any magic spells available at the time. And Stray Cat + Merit Award + Tempest Katana = shear death.

Mog and Shadow are good for pretty much the same reason. Dances and Throw are huge damage dealers for more than half the game (especially Dance). Shadow has basically 50% counter attack/evade with his dog. Both their magic stats are above average.

And if you’re judging on equips alone, Relm should be in the top. She can reach 128% MBlock without Merit Award (Magus Rod, Force Shield, Cat Hood, Tao Robe, White Cape x2), basically almost ensuring nothing hits her; and has the highest magic stat in the game. Without learning spells, yeah, she’s crap; but learning them through Espers, she’s much better than people give her credit for. Although I think the investment time put into her is why I dropped her to midtier, when she should probably be in 2nd.