The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

If tekken can have it dont see why street fighter cant

Because SF is better than Tekken. No thanks to the gorilla

4 Likes

I would welcome a gorilla in Street Fighter. Bears too.

Like hell it is. There’s a lot of goofy shit, but it all ties back into the real story in one way or another. Kuma is Heihachi’s pet pre-T7, and Panda is with Xiayou. Even the kangaroo/dinosaur are experiments by the major organizations of the series. Street Fighter can barely write its own protagonist into ASF without causing issues.

1 Like

I think they toyed with the idea of a gorilla-like char when there was the Yeti concept, maybe they evolved it from there
immagine

It will not even be the first time for SFV

Because Street Fighter is not Tekken. People really need to stop (Subject A) has (something) so why can’t (Subject B). I don’t like Tekken, so why the hell would I want something from my least favorite fighting game in my favorite fighting game.

7 Likes

Even the idea of a Yeti is still coming from Tiger Mask, by the way.

1 Like

Because it hasnt been done before in SF so its something new (at least for the SF world). Its been done before in other games too like Roo in sor3.

Anyway the point is Grodd >>>> Maggio

I WISH that it was. But sometimes it feels like whenever Tekken or Street Fighter adds something stupid to their game, the other can’t trip over themselves fast enough to add it to their game too.

“Why are we adding a fat orange guy?”

“I dunno, but Tekken has one, we gotta have one too! Also, make him not as good!”

1 Like

Not to mention the recent shmups interview someone posted where Akiman said they decided on the final designs for SF2 characters whenever it made them laugh. There’s no grandiose rule for a character here.

http://shmuplations.com/akirayasuda/

—Were the “weird” characters like Dhalsim and Blanka also Nishitani’s idea?

Yasuda: The characters for SFII were checked by three people: myself, Nishitani, and another developer. We’d go through the moves one-by-one and approve them. There was this unspoken rule we operated by, where “It wasn’t good until it made us laugh.” Take Dhalsim’s punch, for example. In the actual planning documents, we set a limit on punches, that they couldn’t extend further than 128 pixels. But in that process of reviewing the characters, we decided to extend it a little further, then a little further, then a little further more… until one day we saw how long his arms came out and everyone cracked up. That was the moment we knew it was good.

That attitude transformed the atmosphere of the development. Joking around and laughing became the rule of the day. Blanka, too, started out with normal skin color, but as we were flipping through the pallete and trying out different colors, green came up, and everyone burst out laughing. It was like, “What?! Why would this human have green skin…!?” We thought it was hilarious.

So, yeah, if I have to choose between the gorilla and Maggio ,Gorilla it is.

Why are you comparing low tier characters anyway? Maggio being bad doesnt mean we need the gorilla who is also bad. Blanka is trash enough, so is Necalli. They already fill in the animal-like quota for me.

Maggio wont be playable anyway, I seem them adding Aprile way faster than him.

1 Like

Its still trash that I dont care for. I dont wanna see Cammy’s cats become playable, or all of the Illumati’s experiments become playable for that matter, thanks but no thanks. SF story might not take itself seriously, and we take it for it is, bad but at least fun and campy. Tekken tries to be serious and deep but it just fails at that, T7’s storyline was terrible.

2 Likes

I literally can’t understand why and how some people like Tekken. I couldn’t imagine that game having 4 entries, now it has 8 or so.

4 Likes

Universe wise it got decent amount well definited characters done on SF way, not my fav series but i take it any day over DoA, VF, MK, KI, MvC

If i could magically take a char from TK to make it become a SF char there are many that i will like… in fact after SNK, i think no brand does the crossover better than TK

Will give away Kage any day to get a tekkener of my choice

4 Likes

Yeah the fun thing is that they were considering it for Necalli concept, so he maybe grow the fur in mid match like Nec’s VT… wich is exactly what TM yeti did!
He started fight TM completely shaven like a big bald man, then mid match his fur grow and became more savage

Zeku/Kenji colors!
immagineimmagine
immagineimmagine
immagine

Loving the color 5, i think will end up my pick… too bad to take the pic they used young form

PS Easter Egg version does’nt unmask him, it just remove the sword on the back
immagine

1 Like

Oh please we had more decent characters in the background cannon and also characters from SF3 or the past SF without needing for Capcom to force Maggio or another beastly creatures so much.

We got Byron and Asam which is better than Maggio that is so cringe like yugioh like character selling toys lol.

But Delta Red Keith Wolfman with Tonfa is better

And Nah Kage is doing fine keeping at bay Evil Ryu fans and making the diversity in the selection healthy. His gameplay wise and storywise to avoid redundancy of Evil Ryu in future games. Zeku is really cool haha. His a Master.

Kage existed not satisfy evil Ryu haters or clone haters but to replace him with a discount counterpart that would diverse the shoto meta without being SSF4 or USF2 again. Plus it’s satisfying it’s fans and also Capcom $$$ it’s a win win situation for both of the sides not for those that were not interested with those characters to begin with.

1 Like

I don’t know, stuff like Kuma’s being Heihachi’s pet or Panda being Xiayou’s friend sound more like weak-ish slapped on excuses to justify weird animal characters rather than actually tying them to the main story.

Not that I think there’s anything really wrong with it. Street Fighter is the same in this.

6 Likes

Yeah, i love how it seem some Tekken bullshit lol
Tbh i never really understood the outrage over Tekken’s animals, the whole fighting game genre is built on some kind of existing stereotypes

Tekken got a Bear, there are cultural stereotypes in fighting shows history
immagine

! immagine

Zangief himself got russian brown bears as sparring partners

Gief treat bears just as Honda treat his sumo disciples lol
And i guess Sagat train with his tiger now
And this guy
immagine
was only Capcom wanting an “animal” in the tournament

Then Tekken got a Kangaroo with boxing gloves, and again

immagine immagine

Tekken may have spammed animal gimmick a bit (to begin with Panda and Raptor were essentially just alt looks at first), but they did’nt nothing particular wrong stylistically picking animals

Both west and east got an history of see animals as a test of strenght/potential powerful opponent in a fight, good amount of Hercules trials were essentially him fight animals

Or more recent Oyama built his international fame “fighting” bulls

immagine

Again, SF and TK are essentially same school

My only problem with a gorilla in SF is only that SF already got Blanka, who’s supposed already to be a fighting big ape

But i trust SFV to build a good newcomer out of it, they got almost perfect score in my book… i see just Falke as a weak step, in a streak of good additions

If the gorilla have somehow human-like behaviour/style i’m curious to see the interaction with Blanka lol

4 Likes

But the gameplay is garbage! it has nothing special!

2 Likes