The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

To add to this, if you want to think of the interpretations on how each fighter actually uses Anasatuken it’s basically parallel to real life karate practitioners. Ken has adapted his style to suit him in sport fighting tournaments where an emphasis on quick combos with stylized kicks is necessary to score points. @Cestus refers to this as the “bastardized version” of Ansatsuken, but it’s more like comparing sports karate to budo karate. Traditional Karate specifically from Okinawa is what traditional Ansatsuken resembles, strong and powerful single strikes with an emphasis on incapacitating the opponent as quickly as possible.

5 Likes

http://shmuplations.com/akirayasuda/

Interview with Akira Yasuda in 2003 on how he created the SF2 characters.

3 Likes

Bison: “All weaklings will be squashed like the insects that they are. This is my Psycho Power. Where there is evil, there is the mighty Bison.”

Bison: “BAH! Such foolhardy behavior.”

1 Like

Keep in mind that in that context “bastardization” was’nt used in a derogative way (i trained various styles in the years, both west/east, both striking/grappling even before become a MMA fan)

I think that it’s just another way to show the difference between Ryu and Ken

Ryu is tradition
Ken innovation
Ryu perfected the form
Ken changed the form
Ryu is the hado-boy
Ken “invented” the fire
Ryu followed Gouken’s path and will bring it to new level
Ken took the good and then shaped his own personal version

The overall styles in terms of normals are different for each “shoto” (wich is good for variety, and something i love), but example we seen Ryu in SF3 having as ultimate techniques stuff like Denjin Hadouken or Shin Shoryuken wich he straight learned from Gouken, while Ken got his own inventions

Even when you see theyr training Ryu as adult sticked to old japanese ways, Ken switched to modern western training

In that sense “bastardization” does’nt mean necessary inferior… i think canon wise Ryu is stronger at fundamentals, while Ken is more unpredictable being less textbook

Being Ryu a fighter that want read his opponent, is pretty cool his rival is somebody who try to come up with unexpected stuff to find a break in his defense
On other hand Ryu training with Ken improved his own reading ability as his friend attack at super fast pace, changing angles and shit searching openings, adding even techniques that aren’t in Gouken’s teachings

It’s essentially a representation of train and grow together as martial artists, in a way that benefit both

In fact Ryu greatly respect Ken, we never seen him despise him in any way to not have sticked to Gouken’s book

Yes, as i said some times Ryu rep japanese Karate (SFV version got lot of Kyokushin too as vibe ihmo) while Ken the american version, the 70s/80’s “full contact” used in tournaments

Ryu got an Oyama soul, Ken a Joe Lewis one :smiley:

Not that I believe it but I’m interested none the less. Where did you hear that and was anything else mentioned?

They may have fragments of realistic influences from SF1, but it doesn’t necessary mean they should fully adopt or be attached to what they were inspired in the drawing board because they already evolved and established their own latter in SFA as well the whole SF mythos along with their own version of fictional martial arts, physics and mysticism.

A lot of these moves, especially the ones where they pick up and spin the opponent over their heads also give me strong Abel vibes. The way this video it’s edited at some point also seems to match Abel’s Breathless (U2) to a tee :joy:

5 Likes

Yup, I forgot about Abel. I always forget about him, shame on me.
Furthermore, Shin Jigoku Guruma was also done by Gouki during the Alpha series (his Hyakki Gōtsui grab from Hyakkishū), and by Jubei Yamada in Fatal Fury. It was only an air throw in 2 (and SNK named it Izuna Otoshi, LOL), then also a special move in Special (Neko Jarashi, “green foxtail”, a plant commonly used to tease a cat).
EDIT: also, GORO DAIMON.

2 Likes

I think at 1:11 is also where they got inspiration for Clark’s argentine back-breaker super too, not same thing but the coreography and even the sound match too much lol
That vid is a gem that keep deliver, thanks :smiley:

Not your fault… Abel could have been GREAT addition (to me still is), but with his simple concept he needed a strong story support that totally lacked

And shit is’nt improved much in SFV, his cameo while welcome did’nt added much to him

2 Likes

Falke x BoF crossover alt, meh

Next Fighting Chance costume is going to be SF2 Bison again, boring
I hope with big update they will deliver also on FC nostalgic costumes still missing

4 Likes

That’s the 大噴火投げ Dai funka nage (“Great eruption throw”), and its mechanic was further expanded by Kajiwara two years later in his more famous manga, Tiger Mask. I believe you remember Naoto Date doing the Fujiyama Tiger Breaker, that was him doing a Monkey Flip Throw upwards and then bouncing his opponent repeatedly with his legs, and ultimately standing up and catching him falling with an Argentine Backbreaker. That was also referenced by Capcom in Slammasters, where it was Titan’s special throw (although he didn’t bounce his opponent, only sending him upwards once). SNK just fused together Dai funka nage and Fujiyama Tiger Breaker.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s seem the case

Lol the Naoto saga seem a life ago… and actually it is, i was kid and the anime was already old

Now that you make me think about it, maybe they took from the wild man Gorilla-Man the idea of give Blanka ginger hair lol
Of course huge part of him it’s still HnK Madara, but still i can see it

Even inspired SF2tAM maybe iirc he was in a cage like a lion before fight Gief (timestamped)

Or having a soft side and cry (timestamped)

In SF was with for found his mom, in TM because Naoto just helped him

Even the story was pretty similar just africa instead brazil (wich of course was took from Tarzan, but i can see the anime being the inspiration for capcom guys), the first vid “vi presento l’uomo gorilla” show it

Who know, maybe first old Tiger Mask series hide many gems that inspired them

2 Likes

GIF version, yeah definitely a tribute! :smiley:

3 Likes

from the other thread

2 Likes

So um… No more profiles?

1 Like

Yup I wished they had continued. It was interesting to go -on

2 Likes

Is that thing also from the Street Fighter cartoon, or is it just a random profile for some robot we’ve never seen?

1 Like

Definitely from the American animated series. Courtesy of Ryoredcyclone.

2 Likes

Would like to see something like this from Capcom

1 Like