2. III: Effie & Necro
  3. 0: Sodom
  4. II: E. Honda
  5. IV: C. Viper
  6. V: Eisbahn

JK.
6. Akira Kazama from Rival Schools

1 Like

Both are actually lol. Yeah that’s basically what I mistakenly thought was Ryu taking up a dojo challenge but instead it seems like the challenge comes to him. Ken’s stage just has Ryu arriving on a boat.

5 Likes

@Magegg
Good question can be if for prediction have sense stick to the 4M+2F they used for past seasons… And if Kage must be considered 1M from that group (hope not i fear yes)

Speaking of two girls, hypothetical first easy pick was Rose, but i’m starting to think she may not join due Menat being in

I see. And what about the part of “Suddenly, the dojo is invaded by opponents who wish to do away with everything…” Do you think they are “lesser” fighters who wants to revenge the honor of their master/dojo for Ryu having defeated their top fighters? Like Cestus said. Or they are vandals/burglars who wants to destroy, and steal, the Suzaku Dojo?

That’s because he is. Ryu’s SF2CE account in Gamest 77 mentions that, after a while, he was practicing judo’s tomoenague and seoinague (throws).
Oh, and thanks for the input about Ryu’s stage description.

Another thing debunked from previous mistranlations: Gamest 77 doesn’t mentions anything about Ken being a virgin before meeting Eliza (unless there’s another source with this info that I’m unaware of). Eliza was the first woman who made him feel love. He was in love, for the very first time, with her and that made him move away from the fights.

4 Likes

No they are other opponents. They are fighting Ryu either as opponents in the SF 2 tourney or just regular challengers. Either way the phrase that your friend translates is a bit too literal as " the dojo is invaded by opponents who wish to do away with everything " . It’s this part specifically 突然 の 道場破りが…

道場破り is what I translate as Dojo challenge, its literal translation is Dojo Breach. A Dojo breach is something specific 道場破り.

武芸の修行者が他流の道場へ行って試合をし、相手方をすべて打ち負かすこと。

Trainers of martial arts go to another style dojo and challenge a match and defeat all opponents.

Basically, its Ryu paying host to a visitor who wishes to challenge him. A lot of those stage descriptions lead up to a specific fight in the tournament I believe. I just mistook it for nobody arriving at Suzaku Castle, but apparently, someone arrives suddenly in the afternoon and issues a challenge.

6 Likes

Interessing that get specifically mentioned for him, i thought some basic knowledge of Judo was something both have, as the grappling part of Ansatsuken may come mostly from Judo.
Back to SF2 both used seoi/tomoe nage (though Ken’s tomoe is fantasy/modified)

Maybe they mean that Ryu was the only to have dedicated extra time on improve his judo game.
Wich is a nice difference, compared to Ken that gradually lost his seoi nage in favor of clinch+knees like in SFV

I absolutely love these little stylistical details they’re adding to theyr evolution… Ryu being the most solid grappler fit well with his strong/defensive just as Ken being more a pure striker fit his fast/aggressive

Back to the SF2tAM cool detail of theyr training as young disciples seem that Ryu ever school Ken at grappling part.
First he defend a kick grabbing Ken’s foot and sweeping the other one, after he easily throw (seoi nage) Ken who jumped on his back locking his neck and easily throw him again (tomoe nage) when Ken try a generic body lock/tackle on him

Cool detail capcom must have liked it so much that became Ryu/Ken intro in SFA, even if Ken use a simple standing headlock instead “back-pack” rear choke

Aside the Fei arm break after even vs Bison Ryu show some skill at it, iirc first time Bison was forced to “cheat” using Psycho Power to levitate was to defend a flying armbar attempt from Ryu

Cool, so the late afternoon/dusk challenger is essentially the player, who gone to Japan to challenge Ryu

Make sense with stage hour of the day and with Ryu fighting in his dojo

2 Likes

Karin: “Hm… This is getting laggy. Are you sure you wish to fight me now?”

Alex: “At ease, loseh. I am going to fuck this shit up and- GAH!!!”

Karin: “Sit down for a minute.”

So, just to close the subject, how would you translate it to update the guide?
“… Ryu awaits til twilight for a formidable opponent. Suddenly, opponents appear and he will take up a Dojo challenge.”
Like this?

This. Actually, Ryu is giving Ken more time for him to train, since Ken spent a lot of time with Eliza.

Hum… I don’t think those fights are part of the WW tournament. Sagat might be the best clue. It mentions that someone is there to challenge him, but also mentions that he won’t rest until Ryu and Ken are KO right in front of him…
Or, the 11 WW fight between themselves and, whoever comes on top, fight Vega in the final match.

Another interesting thing about the tournament, in Chun-Li’s SF2CE account, it’s mentioned that the police department might pay for Chun-Li’s expenses during the tournament. Guile SF2WW Gamest account also mentions that Julia had to pay for several expenses accounts to Thailand… So it seems that each fighter was on their own to meet the next challenger on their home country.

2 Likes

“Suddenly, an opponent appears at the dojo and issues a challenge.”

Pretty simple. Ryu does the same thing when traveling to Thailand to beat Sagat. He issues a dojo challenge upon Muay Thai until he beat everyone the style had to offer.

Or something leading up into the tournament to make whatever location that’s depicted important.

Well, this kinda makes sense because Chun was officially on an Interpol investigation and Guile was on a more personal path of revenge.

3 Likes

Ok. Thanks!

Yes. Guile also has the issue with Nash. He sent Vega to court, but Vega was acquitted of the charges (it seems that Vega had everyone under his influence).
There was a time where we thought that Shadaloo would sponsor the flights for the fighters to compete. Most didn’t want to believe that, instead, many though that all the fights would happen in Thailand…

Thanks for everything. I’ll update the guide with those and, by easter, I’ll send you a copy of the file to show you what’s been done.

4 Likes

It’s happening

It’s probably just another compilation rerelease of old Capcom games.

6 Likes

According to rumors tomorrow they’ll reveal “Ezra, the Red Soldier”, Ukranian krav maga fighter, wearing a red cockroach-like armor, kind of similar to Rip Sabre (Muscle Bomber), launches grenades, sort of Rolento’s successor.

At the end of the video the trademark mentions Alien vs. Predator; I’m already pleased.

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s a Plug-and-Play arcade stick packed with classic games.

3 Likes

Yup according to nintendo life article it’s an plug and play arcade stick, it’s not bad but wait…

That can explain it
On general i like also to think Ryu got better Judo as he focused on japanese style, on what Ansatsuken it’s supposed to be: Karate (Kyokushin-like in SFV) and Judo

On other hand Ken “bastardized” his Ansatsuken with western style… at this point in SFV he looks like a Karate-Kickboxing hybrid wich is more or less what american “Full Contact” was

While at it,speaking of Ryu’s Judo, i wish they keept this, was smooth as fuck

I like Ryu just power-throwing his seoi nage as in current F-throw he got, but i wish they found a way to keep that classy shit too

Maybe as extra move on VT2 doing parry->throw :smiley:
Will look just as flowing as how he dodge Necalli in ASF (wich on theory was still him in VT2)

3 Likes

That’s because Ken’s Jigoku guruma (“Hell wheel”) was a direct reference to Ikki Kajiwara’s manga 柔道一直線 Jūdō Icchokusen (“Jūdō’s straight line”), whose protagonist Naoya wanted to become the best judoka in the world to restore his father’s honour (his father represented Japan at the Olympics, where he was defeated and killed himself in shame). The first move he learned from his sensei was the feared Jigoku guruma, which in the original manga involved actually rolling forward with your opponent… and continuing to roll until he literally collapsed. The manga is unknown in the West (not even Italy imported it, and that’s saying something), but was a huge hit in Japan in 1967. In 1969, they adapted the manga into a live action TV series that retained ALL the absurd moves seen in the original work… And that much later were referenced in video games, as often happens with Kajiwara’s works. See for yourself a compilation found on Youtube:

In just 3 minutes you can see the true origin of:

• Jigoku Guruma - Ken and Gouki, Street Fighter;
  • Shin (“true”) Jigoku Guruma (in this variation you jump during the roll, slamming the opponent to the ground, preferably headfirst - Jon Talbain, Darkstalkers, and King Rasta Mon from Slammasters;
  • Nidan Nage (“two-level throw”, basically throwing the opponent in the air with a Kata guruma - or Fireman’s carry, if you prefer - and then catching them in midair and slamming them a second time towards the ground) - Ryoko, World Heroes; the video shows the original version, but Ryoko actually performs the Kūchū Nidan Nage, also from Jūdō Icchokusen, a subsequent variant done by jumping before catching the opponent in midair;
  • Shinkū Nage (“void throw”, basically a teleport because you are far from your opponent but you instantly move towards them and do them a seoi nage) - Ryoko, Fighter’s History;
  • Alexander the Grater’s Tornado Toss!

Not to mention other absurd techniques absolutely barred in a Judo match even if they were somehow doable… As a piledriver, for instance :laughing:
EDIT: Oh, I forgot: the one doing the Higumajime (“Bear strangling”, the… jumping Dō-jime) says that he invented the move while wrestling with bears in Hokkaidō… Rings a bell? :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Regardless of whatsoever.

Ken’s movement and the new tatsu in SFV is better than any Ken previous iteration. That’s what made him unique nowadays than any traditional shoto without altering his trade ansatsuken techniques.

It can also reflects how Ken evolve his ansatsuken techniques with other influences compare to Ryu and Akuma or even other edgy versions of shoto.

Turning him back to how he was in SF4 in terms of movement makes his vibe very generic shoto clone again.

It’s gameplay wise while still keeping the shoto aspect like hadoken, shoryuken and tatsumaki.

1 Like

The thing to keep in mind is that the Ansatsuken fighting “style” is actually principles. Principles of chi cultivation, striking, rotation, etc that tie into the three primary attacks of the fireball, dragon uppercut and hurricane kick.

There is no real “bastardization” of this. It’s more accurately interpretation. That is why Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken and even Sakura can all be using different “styles” of the nameless Ansatsuken but, because they are all utilizing the same core principles, they are all actually using that same fighting art.

3 Likes