The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Interesting to note that, from the original text released back in 1991 when SF2 World Warrior was released, (mainly Gamest no64, an official poster and SFC manual) they never mentions about this (Gamest even jokes that ken having the same moves as Ryu was because he was spending too much time with his girlfriend and was unable to come with something different.). AAC divide the character bios per game, and, it isn’t uncommon to see plot additions in the “wrong” game, like the info of Ken spending 10 years in Japan training with Ryu being a plot added in SSF2 instead of SF2CE.

I really dunno from where Ken dying his hair came from. Who knows if this was added for the first time in AAC…

I really don’t know why Capcom changed that in the Compelet File book. In SF2WW, Ken receives a letter from Ryu that rekindle his fighting spirit. This is also confirmed by Gamest 77 which covered SF2CE. However, I don’t know how easy it was, back in 1991/1992, to have computer access in Japan…

3 Likes

Awesome. Cool to have verification

Now with the sliding timeline its not so weird. Well except for if they are saying Ryu sent it. Maybe Sakura did for him?

All interesting tidbits of info from across various years and sources, but in addition to those, are there any more “modern” sources stating all that jazz about Ken’s ethnicity? Hard for me to point exactly why but I have a feeling modern day Capcom doesn’t even care about it anymore and probably turned Ken into a full on American dude :man_shrugging:t2:.

CFN Ken profile lists his Home country as USA.

Well, that would make sense. About the sliding timeline, although I understand that they placed SF2 in 1991 in the Beyond the World Timeline (possibly because of the USSR), I still believe that it happens in 1993. Unless now, Cammy stayed with Delta Red just for a few months instead of 3 years before entering the SF2 tournament.

@bakfromon, would you mind to compare translations?

1 Like

Does the BtW timeline list any other years for the other games?

Which ones? Sorry, I couldn’t tell from your reply which translations you want to be compared.

It also says that SFI takes place in 1987, but nothing else.

1 Like

Thanks for all the information guys, I appreciate it!

2 Likes

For what’s worth, they made a point returning him to have black eyes and changed some other stuff (example jaw line) from SF4 to SFV imho

I think he stay some % japanese, he even looks more (part)asian in SFV than SF4

While at it SFV Ken face also remind me Oyama from karate baka ichidai
immagine immagine

Found this image on Twitter:

Apparently from the Babil Junior manga from the same author as the Tetsujin character I posted before so he must have some iron mask motif throughout his stuff. Plausible since the desert tower and Gill’s tube from Urien’s 3S ending seems to also come from this manga.

1 Like

This. Beyond the World lists SF1 happening in 1987, SF2 happening in 1991 with SFZ1/Z2 and Z3 happening in between. From SF4 to 3rd Strike it simply says something like “from here, it’s unknown”.
However…
All About Street Fighter Zero 3 doesn’t give us the year that a certain game happened, but the interval between them is cited: SF1 and SFZ1/Z2 happens between a few months from each other, SFZ1/Z2 and SFZ3 is marked with a “?” while there’s 3 to 4 years between Z3 and SF2. There’s also 3 to 4(?) years between SF2 and SF3NG/2nd. All About Capcom mentions that from when Ryu defeated Sagat to SF2, 6 years have passed.
If I’m not mistaken, vanilla SF4 manual mentions that it has been one year since the previous tournament. Placing vanilla SF4 in 1994.
Early SSF4 development briefly gave us T. Hawk, Dee Jay and Juri’s ages (35, 29 and 25 respectively), not only setting the year, 1994, but also giving a 2 month span of when the tournament might have happened (between Dee Jay’s birthday, October 31st when he turned 29 and Juri’s birthday, January 1st when she would turn 26). However, those ages where removed from the character’s profiles. But, Juri’s age is still valid according with her SSF4 OVA.
Also… we can’t forget about Mel. SF3 states that he’s 3 yo in SF3NG and CFN states his birthday as February 8th, but no year was given, its probably 1995. So we might guess that SF4 tournament happened in december. Eliza’s pregnancy was announced during Ties That Bind, that might be around july/august 1994 where she could be pregnant for about 2 months before confirming it.
Since Mel is 3 yo in SF3NG/2ndI, it fits the time span of 3 to 4 years after SF2 mentioned in the AASFZ3 timeline so SF3NG/2ndI happened around early 1998 (after February, since Mel is already 3yo). And, since SF3:3rdStrike happens one year after SF3NG/2ndI, it happens around early 1999.
Now, how does SF5 fits? First, the SF5 story isn’t complete yet. Mel is at least over 2 years old since he can walk and form sentences. The Black Moon incident marks the Secret Society prophecy. If Gill is the man with blond hair, filled with water and fire from the prophecy, so the Black Moon incident happens at least 4 to 5 months before SF3NG/2ndI (the prophecy mentions a period of 130 days of silence before the golden one appears. Also, G could be the one with golden hair, however he’s only filled with fire, he doesn’t have the water part mentioned in the prophecy).
So, if we put this all together:

1987: Street Fighter 1
1988-1989: Street Fighter Zero1/Zero2
1989-1990: Street Fighter Zero 3
1993: Street Fighter 2
1994 (around july/august): Street Fighter 4 Ties That Bind
1994 (one or two months after): Street Fighter 4 Juri OVA
1994 (december): Street Fighter 4
1997 (second semester): Street Fighter 5 A Shadow Falls
1998 (first semester): Street Fighter 3 New Generation/2nd Impact
1999: Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike

Now, if they really decide to change SF2 to 1991:
Everything before SF2 continues the same.
1991: Street Fighter 2
1992 (around july/august): Street Fighter 4 Ties That Bind
1992 (one or two months after): Street Fighter 4 Juri OVA
1992 (december): Street Fighter 4
1995 (second semester): Street Fighter 5 A Shadow Falls
1996 (first semester): Street Fighter 3 New Generation/2nd Impact
1997: Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike

Lol, I’m the one who should apologize @bakfromon. I was just asking if you mind to compare some translations. I didn’t post them at the time. LOL! Here they are:

As I had some of the Gamest stuff sent to be translated, among them I sent Ken intro and Ryu’s stage description from Complete File. I didn’t realize those were already translated in the guide ( I thought only the profiles were translated). And when I compared them, I noticed a few differences.

Ken SF2CF intro
雨 あがり の 午後 、 ヤツ は そこ に い た。 真紅 の 道着 を 身 に まとい 、 金色 に 輝く髪 が 南風 に なびい て い た 。 「 やはり この 風体 が いちばん 似合っているよう だ な 。 早く こい! オレ の 生涯 の 宿敵 よ!!」 雲間 から 陽射し が 差し こめる 頃 、 白い道着 の 男 を 乗せ た 船 が 港 に 着い た 。

YOUR TRANSLATION
The figure of a man stands during an afternoon of rain. He is dressed in a red uniform with blonde hair blowing in the southern wind. “This wind is suiting, sooner or later my rival will show”. Just then as the sun parts the clouds and man steps off of a ship and onto the harbor.

MY FRIEND’S
On a rainy afternoon, there he was. Dressed in a red kimono, his golden hair swayed with the wind that was coming from the south. "Those clothes, they really suits you the most. Come soon, my eternal rival !! "
When the sun rays began to pierce the clouds, a boat docked at the harbor, carrying a man dressed in white kimono.

The next one has so many differences that I didnt enhance them.

Ryu’s stage description:
昔 お世話 に なっ た 故郷 の 朱雀城道場 で 稽古を し て た リュウ 世界 の 強豪 が 動 き だし た らしい と の 噂 を 耳 に し 、 ケン に一通 の 手紙 を 出し た 。 稽古 も 終わり地上 10 メートル の 風 に 吹 かれ ながら 、 いつか 闘わ なく て は なら ぬ 強敵 の ため の 闘い の 舞台 で 夕日 に 黄昏 て い た リュウ だっ た が 、 突然 の 道場破りが…。

「よし 、 ちょうど いい 、 物足りない稽古 だ と 思っ て い た ところ だ 」

新た なる 闘い へ の 幕開け だ。

YOUR TRANSLATION:
Rumors have been heard that the world powerhouse Ryu has trained at his home place of Suzaku Castle dojo for a long time and seems indebted it, as this seems to be the place where he started his journey and issued a letter to Ken. Training where there wind blows at the top which is 10 meters above the ground, Ryu awaits til twilight for a formidable opponent, and should the day one not appear he will take up a Dojo challenge.

“Well, this isn’t right, just like I thought I still haven’t trained nearly enough.”

It’s the dawn of a new battle.

MY FRIEND’S:
Formerly, the powerhouse Ryu used to train in the dojo of Suzaku Castle, his former home. Upon hearing the rumor of a movimentation to determine who was the strongest fighter in the world, he sent a letter to Ken.
At the end of the training, a strong wind began to blow 10 meters above the ground, and Ryu was there, in that setting where he faced powerful opponents in the late afternoon. Suddenly, the dojo is invaded by opponents who wish to do away with everything …
“Very good, today’s practice wasn’t hard enough.”
It’s the beginning of a new battle.

Thanks!

7 Likes

Yes you friends are more accurate

Small vids i seen did’nt give Zeku-kenji justice, shit looks awesome ingame

Lol. Which one?

I had the impression that, on Ryu’s stage description, vandals wanted to destroy the dojo.

3 Likes

The description say Ryu fought powerful opponents (Masters/strongest rep?) in the afternoon but had kinda easy time defeat them

The newcomers seem like these martial arts movie sore losers disciples (of the defeated dojo) that want revenge theyr honour
Idk about Japan, but kinda a cliché in Kung fu movies

Iirc also for Musashi was’nt uncommon that butthurt disciples try to ambush him many vs 1 as revenge after he defeated this or that master

Ah the good old days when Ryu was a badass. Now he just seems to get his shit pushed in all the time. Glad he doesn’t win all the time and easily but a happy medium would be nice.
Guess they kind of portrayed this in ASF somewhat. But damn, how cool was he in the animated movie. Wrecked Sagat and Fei Long convincingly without making them look week.

5 Likes

Yeah i like this idea where he wrecked the local/japanese scene, to the point where were opponents go challenging him… and for him it just became a training day routine lol
It give more value to his need to travel the world seeking for “stronger opponents” to grow up as martial artist

I think he still badass, they just pushed a bit much the “internal struggle” stuff

Correct me if wrong but if irrc after SFV training dude goes on a good streak
-SFV-
L* Necalli
L* Ken
W Necalli
W Bison
W Ken
L Akuma
-SF3-
W Hugo
L Oro
W Ken
W Sean
W Alex

*= internal struggle/pre training

As soon he pass beyond SnH bullshit he lose the only two he was’nt supposed to win

Btw yes SF2tAM keep being the standard of greatness, violence level there was just spot on

Not gore bullshit, but fights were not sugar-coated, just see how nice guy Ryu goes straight for the break as soon he got Fei’s arm, or almost break his ankle with a elbow-knee block or how he does’nt think twice at smash the big chinese guy’s face with an headbutt just before the Fei fight

I liked also how depict him as competent at grappling, specially on theyr evolution (his and Ken’s), i like to think at Ryu as the better grappler of the two

2 Likes

This video has some nice translations for what the non-english speaking characters are saying in 3rd strike.
3 Likes