The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Looking back, I see I edited that post a bit more than I’d intended before posting. I didn’t mean to imply that removing many accessories was difficult. A lot of accessories are separate from the main body mesh, and it really is a matter of seconds to remove such items in a 3D modeling program.

More complex changes, both additions as well as removing elements that are merged into the main body, can require a bit more work. But even that is variable. Properly uncensoring Juri requires a very minor mesh edit that itself can be done in seconds, which is probably about the same amount of time the original modeler spent altering her neck geometry to create a ridge for the collar of her black suit. (The other steps to uncensoring Juri aren’t much more complicated.)

That’s why the end of my post ended up complaining more about Capcom not having alternates that lack some of the accessories, and started speculating as to why they didn’t do so.

2 Likes

The removing accessories started later in the series as a special feature for DLC characters and costumes it’s not designed from the ground up, that’s why it’s not available in default standard characters part of the retail package.

The thing about Kundalini Awakening is that it can be tarnished if one is not prepared. If one is not prepared for K.A it can literally backfire into a state which we all know too well. This unprepared state is akin to something that sounds like SnH. Most unprepared awakenings result in psychosis and violence in the user.

We know that Seth was researching Kundalini during SF4 in order to use it as a weapon. We know this because of his stage in SF4 as the chakra diagrams in the background mention Kundalini (कुण्डलिनी) and the specific chakras; Ājñā, Viśuddha, Svādhiṣṭhāna, and Mūlādhāra

We also know that the subjects that were in the tanks of the machine were the kidnapped fighters S.I.N abducted in order to develop their BLECE project. So if we take the fact that he is researching Kundalini for weaponized purposes on fighters he is using for BLECE, and SnH is the final step in his research, and that Ryu can sublimate SnH with MnK, Mu and Kundalini are one in the same as a proper K.A can sublimate the negative effects of an improper one.

I made a whole post regarding this way back in the Warrior Fate thread.

The diagram of a body is actually a depiction of the Qi Gong meridians, and the four symbols next to it are listed as; Ājñā, Viśuddha, Svādhiṣṭhāna, and Mūlādhāra are 4 out of the 7 Chakra’s of Hindu tantra. Next to each listing is कुण्डलिनी; which is Sanskrit for *Kundalini *which is a “spiritual awakening” where one * can* reach enlightenment. It was once said in the Super Street Fighter II manual for SNES that a Kundalini was how Dhalsim acquired his power, he also references this in the Street Fighter II V animated series. So whatever the machine is doing it’s keeping track of those aspects of spiritual energy. I think it’s fair to mention for people who don’t want to watch the video to provide a brief synopsis of the scene I speak of. [details=Spoiler]Dhalsim sits under a tree, focusing on his breathing. One of the camera angles briefly makes it look like he’s levitating, but as Ken and Ryu watch they do not act like anything is unusual. I’m going to assume its either just an odd angle, or a subtle sight gag.
Dhalsim continues to breathe, and after a few moments he gets the same flame and glowy effect that Yo Sen Kai got back in episode 6. After a few moments of funky effects, a line of energy shoots skyward from Dhalsim. There’s a quick cut to Ryu, as he displays a similar discharge. He is clearly surprised by it. Ken does not react, so I assume this is something that the audience gets to see, but those not sensitive to Hadou do not. Dhalsim goes on to explain that this breathing technique allows one to focus their Ki, and in turn they can turn it into Hadou. This technique is called Kundalini, but he is not sure if this is the Hadou Ryu and Ken seek, as there are other forms.
At this point Ryu yells out to Dhalsim with an uncharacteristic amount of panic in his voice. Something is wrong with his body. He feels like his body is going to explode at any moment, raw energy building up in his stomach, ready to burst. In what I think is a first for the series, he admits to being scared.

Ryu thinks this sensation is Hadou, and his instincts are telling him that he has to shoot it out of himself, somehow. Cue some dramatic violin. Ken and Dhalsim look on as Ryu throws his hands in the air and waves them like he just doesn’t care.[/details]
Listed directly under the Qigong meridian diagram is “PuraaNa”, or Purāṇas (belonging in old or ancient times, ie. mythology) with the Sanskrit text पुराण next to it and partially below it (although what follows after I have yet to decipher as it is mirrored and flipped). The large wall terminal in the back is what I assume are Shadaloo/ S.I.N stations around the globe. The reason I say this is because the marked locations correspond to places like the Secret Laboratory, The Historic Distillery, The Small Airfield, and among others (Southeast Asia) which have some connection with Shadaloo or S.I.N.
The analog clock thing in the sketch is numbered in Japanese from 1-10, so I assume it’s a meter to measure something on the center piece machine.

• EDIT: There are three meters under each of the four Kundalini symbols that correspond to one of the Eight Trigrams, or Bagua . The concept art for the “clocks” has the kanji 氣 for “Qi” listed on the them, but the in game model has something totally different. Although this kanji does appear within the bottom left corner of the Qigong meridian diagram, both in game and in concept art. The in game versions of the “clock” appear to be in the style of Taoist talisman, or Fulu .

@midgardsorm If you get a chance could you possibly translate the missing pieces to this diagram?
Edit found some more parts

打 Hit
枢 Pivot
投 Throw
波 Surge

3 Likes

Yes I have read that before. And yes there are dangerous stuff in K.A. if it is awaken improperly and the person is not ready.

I actually prefer it that way!

Yes, but there are various accessories that are easily removable even in those first characters. When you don’t feel the pressure to skimp every polygon possible, it can be more productive to create such objects separate of the main body and just stick them onto the final model rather than welding the meshes together.

With Cammy’s default costume, all the belts, buckles, and pouches are separate meshes that were just placed to overlap her base mesh. Cammy’s base model looks fine with them removed, though the base model is a bit bland without them. You can’t just remove her gloves or boots this way, as those replaced her original body parts. The same is true for her green leotard, there is nothing under it. (I wouldn’t be surprised if her green outfit is her original skin mesh, inflated/scaled slightly and then tweaked to clean up issues.)

With Dhalsim’s default costume, it looks like you can remove everything. (I’m looking at the converted models BrutalAce supplied the community some time ago.) Dhalsim consists of a nude base mesh, and every object of his outfit is a separate mesh that has been placed on top of that base mesh. His turban, beard, skull necklace, earrings, bracelets, rope belt, and even his shorts can all be easily removed, and there is still “Dhalsim” underneath them. (No genitalia modeling of course.)

With Rashid’s default costume, you can easily remove his backpack and harness, as well as the bands on his arms, and the loose parts of his top that hang below his belt. You can remove his Dragon Ball scouter. Other items can be removed, as there is still the character’s base model underneath, but they all tend to introduce issues that would require some degree of work to address. His belt hides how his upper and lower body meshes meet. His headgear is removable, but while his head is present underneath, there is obviously no hair modeled under the headgear. His sandals can be easily removed, but the leg straps aren’t, and simply removing his sandals without further changing the mesh should leave him floating slightly above the ground.

So it is possible, to varying degrees, to make “alternate” versions of several of the original outfits just by removing such “removable” accessories. This isn’t uniform, though. Some characters have little that can be so removed, or that you’d want to remove.

Capcom could, if it wanted, go back and retroactively add such features to several outfits. Depending on when they first considered adding costume codes, they could have implemented them from the start.

But that gets back into the reasons why Capcom wouldn’t want to do such a thing. If they’d made alternate versions of only some of the original outfits, players would have complained that the other characters didn’t have similar alternates. As for retroactively adding them, even a little work more than necessary is more work than Capcom is willing to put into the game, and they don’t like to give away for free what they feel they can get away with charging for (even if it is just FM that they charge.)

1 Like

I’m just trying to be fair with Capcom that they are not greedy, lazy or something for not doing those, for other previous costume. As a reminder when those ideas wasn’t present before and the time they did started. Capcom even did update Guile stage DLC later even no one was asking it.

I think we all know what original character needs a code variant: no-undies Gief!

Yeah, problem is they removed little details (that i loved) from SF2/4 and the black belts work as compensation

In SFV she lack the red triangle on right boob (wich link with the hat/gloves), the camo-legs, the scar

These design elements used to spice her up, the black belt of SFV imho does’nt even fully compensate, imagine her without it

I wish we got a proper SF2 Cammy instead CannonSpike one (wich i still liked), will be my default for her

Yeah, they could have done it on some, it’s not like theyr current managment of alts is based on equality anyway

Nah i don’t think it’s about complainment for some characters not getting it is more…

…this, they’re just like that

Something just as important is the shading.

Cammy has a very simple outfit, it is a single shade of green with no decoration besides a little red triangle. Her Street Fighter 2 sprite makes this area interesting with exaggerated shading based on her underlying musculature. The muscle-defined shading provides the decoration.

Her Street Fighter IV model realizes this, but this is also possibly the beginning of a problem. Her SFIV model has very detailed musculature-defined shading painted onto her outfit. The possible problem is that even here, it starts to look a bit too “painted on”.

With Street Fighter V, they appear to have gone for a more “realistic” outfit, it is more substantial than a layer of body paint and doesn’t define every minute curve of her form. Further, they went with more “realistic” shading, they didn’t paint her like an airbrushed muscle shirt. But this leaves her with nothing but a single boring outfit of a single color and no detail. Which is probably part of why they slapped all those accessories on her, because the base outfit was doing nothing. (Even the camo paint, scar, and the red triangle wouldn’t have been enough to counter that.)

2 Likes

True, and last but not last i think the bright green they gave her in V is much less interessing than the darker a bit blueish of SF4
New one feel so basic

This alone will be huge improvement to me (of course it will make reconsider the role of black belt there, but i’m not considering it now)

But i will still want red triangle and camolegs tbh

1 Like

Just in case most of you have not realized it yet… I actually like Kage but he is also easy to make fun of. Time for another role-play scenario.

Kage: “Be afraid…”

[spoiler]
Cammy: “Oh what? You are… definitely not Ryu. Just who are you supposed to be? You are here to cause trouble… I HOPE. That way I have an excuse to cave your face in.”

Kage: “I am the shadow. The true manifestation of the Satsui no Hadou. A useless doll like yourself could never stand up to a master of martial arts…”

Cammy: “Satsui… no… Hadou. Well, this getting corny. Here I thought the Psycho Power was wierd and corrupt as it were. I guess you think you can just do whatever you want, right?”

Kage: “You idiot. How can you be so arrogant in your predicament?”

Cammy: “You’ve been beaten. The true Ryu got to you first. Bison roasted you a short while ago. And, then you went and got yourself into a street fight with Urien. You’ve been getting smacked around for a while now. Why do you insist on fighting?”

Kage: “Oh, shut up you little wench. My powers have yet to come into fruition. Now it is time to unleash the power of the Satsui no Hadou!”

Cammy: “The little shadow boy must be a masochist. I have no problem accomplishing your dreams of such masochism as I have the means of causing you some serious pain. Fight me.”

Kage: “The nerve of this bitch. I will tear you apart.”

Cammy: “Good luck. Seriously.”

The glass cannon Cammy vs the shadowy manifestation of Ryu’s Satsui no Hadou. Both martial artists fight in a brief but brutal match of both wit and strength. In a valiant effort, Cammy emerges victorious.

Cammy: “You were not ready.”

Kage: “What’s this?!”

Cammy: “Your spanking, shadow boy.”

Cammy destroys Kage with her CA

Kage: “GAH!!!”

Cammy: “As confusing as that was, I am not completely surprised that something like this would happen. It is tea time. Then I am going to see what the real Ryu is up to… Perhaps he is the mood to play that King of Fighters 98 game at Karin’s mini-arcade.”
[/spoiler]

1 Like

Cammy has her cheek scar in SFV, what do you mean?:thinking:

3 Likes

It’s there, but certain decisions have made it much less prominent, to the point that it is easy to miss. I think this is another case where SFV’s lighting also fails to do much in the way of a favor.

The best places to view Cammy’s scar in a game is outside the match itself, at the character selection screen and victory (or continue) screens. Cammy’s scar is very visible in her SF2 portrait, a large and well-defined scar that is much darker than the rest of her skin. Her scar is clearly visible in her SFA portrait. With SF4, her selection portrait is hand-drawn art while her victory uses her in-game model. The scar is clearly visible not only on the selection art, but it is also clearly visible on her game model in the victory pose.

SF5 uses the character model for both the selection screen and the victory pose. For Player 1, you mostly see the unscarred side of Cammy’s face. A bit of the scar is visible, but color choice and lighting makes it blend with the color of the shadowed part of Cammy’s face. Even if you know the scar is there, even the bit that is outside of the shadow tends to look more like a shadow artifact than a facial feature. For Player 2, you are presented with the scarred side of Cammy’s face and the scar is visible, but only in the shadowed part of Cammy’s face. In the light, the scar gets washed out to a color similar to her regular skin tone.

As for the victory pose, where previous games would intentionally put Cammy’s scarred side towards the screen, SFV instead ends with her unscarred side towards the screen.

During matches, you hardly ever see the scarred side of Cammy’s face when she is facing to the right. When you do, it is generally for a brief moment, easily lost in the animation, and the scar also tends to be washed out in a way that comes close to the color of her face. When Cammy faces to the left, you can see the scar, but again it just tends to get lost in the animation, and blends perhaps a bit too readily with her face. It is easy to see if you know it is there or look for it, but it is also easy to not even register its presence if you don’t know it is there or you forget about it.

3 Likes

It’s there but completely lost it’s decorative/design element purpose

Is barely visible anymore, seem almost like they put it there only because “they have to”
immagine

v

Essentially as @Baines said

LOL, searching for ref pics i found a mine old edit with all the classic traits:

She used to counterpart Chun’s design perfectly, now she feel dull compared to her

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies to both, now I see
What baines meant, oh an Cestus I think I like your version of SFV Cammy better👏

1 Like

I love how everyone is calling it a triangle it’s a red Delta symbol. Stands for Delta Red lol.

5 Likes

I only see few tribute and fanart to the live action movie, I know it wasn’t highly accepted but when I was young I enjoyed it.

CTTO

5 Likes

I know, but still if i’ve to speak about design elements “red triangle” is the most useful way to call it lol

Lol it’s not just you it’s on the wiki entry as well. Also for the Udon comic counter part Delta Blue they just dress everyone up in blue and say hey they’re Delta Blue even when 3 members of the 5 members of Delta Red wear blue as well. They could’ve just had everyone wear the same Delta Red outfits and give them blue triangle badges to logically distinguish them as Delta Blue. Just seemed like it went over every one’s head.

3 Likes