The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

No, dude. Just no. We are NOT counting story that isn’t even IN THE GAME in a discussion about what kinds of stories work for SF.

the point is SF1 has a story and it’s in the arcade mode, it’s the story of Ryu.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t. SF1’s arcade mode doesn’t tell you ANYTHING that’s going on.

Who are you? Why are you fighting all these guys? What did you get for winning? None of that is told to you unless you read supplementary material.

As far as the game is concerned, you just beat up 10 guys for no reason, but now you’re the strongest one. Why is that a thing you wanted? Who knows!

2 Likes

Because in the 80s you had to be the best at whatever you did! Its cooool maaayynn

2 Likes

It might not be up to the standard of today or your standard, but that how it works back in the day. SF1 is fighting game and it’s arcade mode is also it’s story mode by default, where you only get to play as Ryu and nothing else.

Arcade games back in day were supposed to be self explanatory and doesn’t need backstory, It’s a tournament It wasn’t just guys beating up each other randomly.

It’s a story

4 Likes

Lol, I’d forgotten about the shot of Ryu getting on the plane.

“I just beat up Thailand! I’m going to Disney World!”

How do you know it’s a tournament? The game never tells you that.

This is what I’m talking about. You’re using your OUTSIDE knowledge of SF1’s plot. SF1 does. not. explain. its. own. plot.

That’s not the point. The point is Shak used SF1 as an example of a “failed tournament story”. Which is ridiculous because SF1 doesn’t TELL a story.

Capcom tells the story in some databook somewhere. A pretty cool story actually, about what happens in SF1.

But SF1 didn’t fail or succeed at telling that story, because it never even attempted to tell it.

1 Like

As much would be epic see some characters do a TAG CA, that feel more like new mode than new game mechanics

But again, the term may have been used in loose way and be anything that affect gameplay

The closest i can think to see two chars tag teaming without add modes may be some sort of MvC assist/KoF strikers mechanic, but i doubt we will get anything more effort taking than Red Focus in SF4… some cheap reworking on material they already got, i would be pleasantly surprised otherwise

I’ve heard from a good source SFV season 5 will have 10 characters instead of 5, because of more development problems on SF6.
The other 5 characters will be released for the rest of 2021.

By the way, I think chances for a Capcom Vs SNK 3 are now basically zero. But Harada said once he wanted to make a game with ‘everyone in there’.
http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/26/bandai-namcos-katsuhiro-harada-wants-to-develop-a-fighting-game-mega-crossover/
He probably means a full crossover game between:

• Tekken
  • Street Fighter
  • KOF
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Dead Or Alive

Do you think it could happen? Tbh, I think the SF and KOF characters would get the short end of the stick because of being 2D gameplay and I don’t think they would adapt very well to Tekken’s game style.
But well, Harada adapted Akuma and Geese to the Tekken engine. So, there’s a chance.

4 Likes

lol I mean it’s common sense to the stage and presentation along with the ending. it has a story and that is of Ryu.

1 Like

Maybe. But I wouldn’t be interested in it. Because if Harada is making it, I know it’s going to be a 3d fighting game.

As long they keep MK out would love see how it end up, i was very very interessed in TK vs SF, shame never happened

1 Like

VF and DOA guest characters in Tekken is the best thing that would happen.

After seeing Noctis and Negan. I wouldn’t mind Scorpion, Raiden or Lui Kang or some KI characters in Tekken as guest characters. Seeing a western dev like MK doing guesting in Tekken is shocking. Tekken gameplay is flexible unlike SF.

Yet I don’t still believe a crossover like MK vs TK would work.

Do you think it could happen?

After Ono left Capcom, no.

The only reason SF got anywhere near Tekken is because of Ono and Harada being friends IRL. Likewise the only reason CVS happened was due to Takashi calling someone he knew at Capcom, and he had the power to allow the crossover to happen.

KOF vs Tekken is possible.

2 Likes

You remind me the part cracked me up of that otherwise boring roundtable was Harada slapping that giant Ono picture on webcam and nakayama/matsumoto being all awkward embarassed trying to pokerface their way out

But Harada did’nt let go and the paper Ono keept staring straight into their souls

And they was there to do the announcement of an announcement lol

Even before Ono, Blanka is more of a mascot anyway not something to represent Brazil.

SFV had better new comers than SF4, and the best initial roster than any SF because it adopts Alpha.

2 Likes

I thought SF4 initial roster adopted Alpha too, in a sense…Gen, Rose, Sakura, Dan (I know those were console exclusives but I dont care about an arcade version I rarely saw in action).

1 Like

Hmmm…

SF4:
+Abel
+El Fuerte
+Gouken
+Juti
+Hakan
-Viper
-Rufus
-Seth
-Oni
-Poison
-Decapre
Total: -1

SF5:
+Rashid
+Laura
+FANG
+Kolin
+Ed
+Zeku
+Falke
+Lucia
-Necalli
-Abigail
-Menat
-G
-Kage
Total: +3

Guess the math checks out.

1 Like

Falke is the only miss for me in SF5. Other than that, I don’t even consider Kage a new character and Lucia is just…kinda there.

I mean being the most appealing with the current masses

Like G, Zeku, kolin, Menat and etc.

1 Like

Viper, Menat, Poison, Falke and G bad?

4 Likes