The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

While the wording is confusing, I mean “Koei Warriors mass brawlers” as a kind of genre label, a particular large scale approach to brawlers that is more specific than just saying “mass brawlers”.

I’m not trying to say that Koei is underrepresenting its Warriors line; with multiple releases (Musou and Musou-inspired) per year, Koei certainly isn’t. But it is pretty much only Omega Force that is making these games, no one else. And Omega Force really needs some competition other than itself.

Capcom had Sengoku Basara, but it has been several years since the Sanada Yukimura-Den spin-off was released. If you go back a decade or more, you can find multiple devs and publishers dipping their toes into the waters, but they all quickly faded. Ninety Nine Nights was last seen in 2010. Kingdom Under Fire Heroes was 2005. Demon Chaos was 2005.

Gill: “You will comply to our methods if you wish to obtain peace through- WHAT ARE YOU DOING???!!!”

Guile: “I have something different in mind. Let me show you.”

https://twitter.com/RyanJosephHart/status/1285326097547231232?s=20

[spoiler]
Urien: “HAH!”
[/spoiler]

18 Likes

Hey… guys…

Anyone else doesn’t like the dash mechanic?

Any chance they will drop it for the next SF installment?

Rugal and Bison always more sense to me as a pairing than Geese and Bison.

3 Likes

What’s ahead with Rugal is even his defeat with Goenitz, His still bad ass in a appeal and a tough guy not someone desperate on a substitute body, he just don’t care his not like Iori

I like Bison more in the SF4 aftermath video where viper shows up and where he would commit suicide blast explosion to everyone than in SF5 Shadow Falls where he tries to talk like Seth to Ryu in SF4 Ties that Binds., when in the final battle with Ryu.

Seth had sense to talk like that to Ryu in SF4 OAV ties that binds because of his artificial nature where he tries to narrow ideas like power and etc while Ryu shows him as it’s beyond his understanding as he believes his a perfect for being engineered artificially

2 Likes

Correct.

It should always be Rugal & Bison and Geese & Sagat

3 Likes

I think Geese gets paired with Bison because he’s the more “classic” (re. nostalgia for FF) boss. I guess that makes Rugal Gill or Akuma? Even though he’s closer to Bison as a character, I think Geese’s legacy factor is just slightly higher.

4 Likes

Dash mechanic being the thing where you tap twice in a direction and you scoot fast? No, I love that.

4 Likes

On the Bosses thing
I guess there’s just no correct answer as the two series got slighty different development on villains

Some say Bison-Rugal, some say Geese… both may have legit reasons

I may add this guy with cape and armor parts

Got the role of the Boss in the SECOND chapter of FF

He got 3 sub-bosses, 2 of wich are a spanish matador who use a blade and an american heavyweight boxer based on a former world HW champion
image image

So as structure and succession the SF FF parallel on villains may be more like FF1 Geese → Sf1 Sagat, then FF2 Krauser → SF2 M.Bison

I also think Rugal essentially is SNK attempt at design a cooler/more refined version of Krauser’s concept, like a second take at it

I think most of our mental association of Bison-Geese is a parallel we automatically do between SF-FF and their most iconic bosses… plus of course the fact that we seen CvS games pairing them and keep Rugal for Akuma

1 Like

Lol, i wonder if when they gave M.Bison a black panther in the SF4 animal costume pack, they did it as joke/wink to Rugal
The panther was present also in their rival cutscene in CvS, growling at Bison

2 Likes

Dashing has become a basic mechanic of the entire genre. Its not going anywhere.

4 Likes

Tbh i see VF far less incompatible than many other games, it’s still japanese game set in present day/our world and feature fighters from all around the world repping a martial art

It’s more grounded with much less space for over the top characters, “magic” ki abilities or scifi shit, but still somehow compatible if handled well

Problem for a Guest in SFV would have been more WHO pick, as most of popular and iconic VF chars would be bland/redundant in SF, and most of potentially interessing picks are too niche to have any “Guest” marketing value

1 Like

Well, Alpha didn’t have it. Games like KOF or Guilty Gear have a run mechanic…

I don’t know, I have never liked the dash mechanic, I feel like it leaves you too unprotected. But most of all, it’s become a chore for my taste.

Sadly, all the SF games after SF3 have reused the same ideas: same throw mechanics, EX moves, selectable supers, dash.
I don’t know, I’ve gotten so fed up with the same style, I think the series could be ready for a shakeup for the next installment.

I mean, SF doesn’t have to be the same style over and over, right? Alpha had a SO MUCH different gamestyle. But some people consider it a Street Fighter ‘spinoff’ and not a proper installment, so I don’t know.

I simply want something that feels new and fresh. A new take on the gameplay. I don’t care if it’s experimental.

1 Like

We all know that probably the only other third-party series that could bring a guest character to the SF series is EX Layer.

It would “kind of don’t” feel like a guest, since… you know.

I’ve seen a lot of people want Skullomania.

Well, SFEX despite being owned by a different franchise somehow end up being part of SF (SFV while at it) canon :smiley:

Darun is the friend of Zangief that keept in India Zangief’s chess piece in ASF, confirmed by capcom

Tbh if i have to get a crossover SF and it can’t be CvS3, my next pick would be Capcom x Arika
My only problem with it is in the recent game Arika butchered most of old SFEX designs (wich were 100% compatible) with their redesign bullshit
That was sad lol

1 Like

I actually prefer my side dashes to have their own buttons instead of being double taps, like in Rogue Legacy, but that ain’t gonna happen with an already six button fighter.

I simply don’t like dashes, they make the characters feel heavier.

But well, I’m more of a KOF/Alpha/Guilty Gear guy.

I think the first KOF games had dashes, actually, I could bear it because of how much I love the dodge/charge power/desperate moves system.

But SF… has grown stale to me.

4 Likes

I still think Samurai Necalli was the best champion costume but this is my number 2.

3 Likes