The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

And it cost more money to make because they had to license Tekken from Namco. Whatever “Hyper Street Fighter IV” title wouldn’t have been saddled with that additional cost. In addition, Capcom would not be able to port the title to new platforms with out Namco’s okay. So that’s more potential money off the table.

3 Likes

I don’t think so, I think it was a mutual exchange, that’s why Namco could start develop Tekken x Street Fighter.

I think people log out after SFIV:AE. Ultra was a final cashgrab but they couldn’t have extended the game more than that by selling more characters.
Also, that generation of consoles was already ending, there’s no way it would have been profitable to release like 18 more characters.

Sure, but wouldn’t have sold better than THREE Hyper Street Fighter 4 updates, or 5 seasons of DLC. Which is how much 30 more SF4 characters could have been separated out into.

According to wikipedia, Ultra still sold 1.4 million copies, it actually outsold AE. Compared to SFxTK’s 1.7 million.

Ultra, which only added the SFxTK newcomers and Decapre. Sold almost as much as SFxTK. So…yeah, even if each subsequent update has sold less, 3-5 more updates/DLC would have easily outsold SFxTK in the long run.

2 Likes

Neither do I. All of the Japanese wikis and blogs give this fact, but none of them specifies any source, now that you mention it… But it should come from somewhere. Since the Zero 2 secret file only covers Zangief and Rolento, where was Dhalsim’s Shadaloo file? Could this info come from that? :thinking:

Datta’s age is one of the big chronology messes of SF. I think Capcom only takes it with broad strokes and skirt the issue altogether now.

Yes and yes. There’s written “Geki” inside the circle.
And the last image with a beaten Claw is “NINJA FIGHT!” “Geki is hardcore. Is he stronger than his claw rival Balrog?”

No, it always says “parent” (that we now know is only one thanks to the image), but never specifies if it’s Kodal’s father or his mother.
“Bison is Kodal’s sworn enemy!”
“It seems unlikely for Dhalsim and Bison to have a connection, but they’ve got a surprising one. Bison killed a parent of Kodal, Dhalsim’s elephant friend, with his Elephant Killer special move.”

2 Likes

I think having 6 to 7 updates would have severely damaged the brand and the consumer trust.

I don’t think they would have made it up to an “everyone is here” point.

Ultra added I think Red FADC and Omega Mode, among other things. Which is a lot compared to AE. But for the 5th update or so, people would need something even bigger, like a 3rd Ultra per character (and with 70 characters or so, that would have been impossible to do or way too cost-consuming compared to the benefits).

As for SFxTekken, well, you could say it was a Street Fighter 4 game with 25 new characters, and still didn’t get much traction. The SF4 thing had almost run dried by that point. No way it would have managed to get 3 or 4 more updates.

How many missing characters were missing from the Street Fighter IV series?

ONE (5): Mike, Joe, Lee, Geki, Retsu, Birdie, Eagle [I’D SAY ASIDE FROM Birdie AND Eagle, THIS IS OPTIONAL SINCE THE OTHERS HAVE NEVER BEEN PLAYABLE]
ALPHA (5 to 10): Karin, Rainbow Mika, Birdie, Sodom, Nash (Juni, Juli, Maki, Eagle, Ingrid if you really want to go with the “EVERYONE IS HERE” approach)
III (8 to 9): Alex, Sean, Oro, Necro, Urien, Remy, Twelve, Q, Gill?

That’s about 18 to around 25 extra characters needed, depending on how “complete” you really wanna go with your “EVERYONE IS HERE” APPROACH

ULTRA final run had 44 characters.

Could have it managed to become an “EVERYONE IS HERE” game?
Well, let’s start with the first games:
SFIV (Console) - 25 characters
SSFIV - 35 characters

The character count was steady by this moment. Now if AE and Ultra had been as substantial of updates as SUPER… MAYBE you could have managed to reach an “EVERYONE IS HERE” roster.

SSFIV:AE - 45 characters in total? - Yun, Yang, (Oni?), (Evil Ryu?), Rolento, Elena, Hugo, (Poison?) + 2 more (if you want to avoid to introduce ‘new’ characters, that’s 5 more)
USFIV - 55 characters in total? - If you can could manage to slip 10 characters more along with Omega Mode and W Ultras

Well, still not enough. You would need a…:

HYPER SFIV OR WHATEVER - 65 characters in total? - 10 more characters and I think the “EVERYONE IS HERE” approach would have been completed. It would have probably also needed some Third Ultra stuff to keep sparking interest.

But that’d ONLY if they added 10 ‘legacy’ characters each installment and ALSO you abstain from adding ‘new’ characters (which I think would have been weird, everyone knows every Street Fighter game should have at least 1 or 2 characters new to the series).

Also remember new music, new stages, new modes or gameplay features (hell, maybe even a complete new GUI and/or new character introductions/endings would have been needed) are also a staple for updates.

But it didn’t happen that way. Because Capcom new their returns were diminishing with each new launch, they kept adding the minimal of new content possible, with character model clones and the likes.

Also balancing would have been a terrible bitch (we would have been into a “MK Armageddon” level stuff here, game wouldn’t have been seriously playable).

So, if it didn’t happen back then, now post-SFV I think an “EVERYONE IS HERE” Street Fighter game would be impossible.

ALPHA 3 was and will always be the only “EVERYONE (but the STREET FIGHTER ONE unplayable characters) IS HERE” Street Fighter ever.

1 Like

Well from AE onward, every SF4 update was available as DLC content for Super. So I don’t think it would have. Because you’re basically just doing season passes at that point. Which is what every fighting game does now.

Even SF5 releases a new core box copy every couple of seasons that just contains everything up to that point. And nobody really has a problem with that model, because it’s optional, and most people just go the DLC season pass route.

Well therein lies the problem. With AE, and Ultra, development of those updates was being done CONCURRENTLY with SFxTK. Which was taking up all the developmental resources. 2011-2014 was pretty much all SFxTK development. Which is why AE was a handful of clones, and Ultra was mostly SFxTK characters.

Again, “everyone is here” COULD have happened in SF4…IF SFxTK hadn’t been a thing. If they HADN’T done SFxTK then we could have had:
6 characters in 2011(instead of 2 and 2 alts)
6 characters in 2012
6 characters in 2013
6 characters in 2014

So we would have been at 59 characters instead of 44. All in the same time span that it took for Ultra to come out. And still with fewer characters than Capcom actually ended up developing for the SF4 engine during that period. And you’d have been about 4 characters away from “everyone is here” for that time period.

It’s 64 not counting the various Evil Ryu-type characters. 62 if you leave out Juni and Juli, which are pretty much just Evil Ryus for Cammy.

So 65 would give you “everyone is here” with a couple slots left over for a few actual new characters(or Haggar), just to keep things a little interesting.

Again, all stuff that SFxTK got…that SF4 updates could have had instead.

Granted. But that’s pretty much the only valid drawback, and not reason enough on it’s own to not do it.

And Capcom was completely wrong. Because Ultra OUTSOLD AE.

Their returns were diminishing BECAUSE they kept adding the minimal of new content possible, with character model clones and the likes. And when Ultra came out and WASN’T that, guess what? Returns didn’t diminish. Even though it was a bunch of content copied from SFxTK.

Because SURPRISE, more Street Fighter content IN Street Fighter was what fans ACTUALLY wanted!

2 Likes

Street Fighter X Tekken was when Capcom FG’s turned to shit.
2020 and they still haven’t recovered from that failure.

1 Like

Oh damn. It looks like Capcom-Unity shut down it’s forums and user-blogs.

Glad I saved copies of my blog posts awhile ago…

Well, I don’t know where originally it came from, but All About Capcom list it:

All 5 “new challengers” for Zero 2 had a Shadaloo report. I found Rolento and Zangief in SFZ2 Secret File. Sakura in one of the Gamest issues. Probably Dhalsim and Gen also had one published on Gamest, but I don’t know which and don’t have them. The old plot guide has them.

Does it mentions anything on Datta’s AAC section (specially on the SFZ2 subsection?)
No need to translate those right now (unless you have time and want to), just skim over it.

I see. Guess Balrog’s image pretty much give us an answer, no? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Right. It also gives us the impression that only Kodal is Dhalsim’s friend. His parents, could be mere “acquaintances”.

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Did you save BigMex’s blog posts? I think he was the guy who wrote a lot of stuff on character design.

3 Likes

Well. Street Fighter V had less characters than Street Fighter 4 at the end of their respective runs. I think that says pretty much it about the chances of having an “everyone is here” roster in Street Fitghter VI.

Unless they do it with this kind of graphics?

Anyone has Street Fighter V’s concept art for its original proposal?

That pinup where it was going to be a love letter to Street Fighter 1, with Retsu, Geki, Lee, etc., returning?

EDIT: Oh, I think I found it.

3 Likes

I have never heard of that before. Wow

I’m sick of Capcom ignoring Street Fighter 1 :frowning:

I bitterly remember my disappointment when we got Decapre instead of Retsu in Ultra 4.

Who knows, maybe a couple SF1 guys could be the wild card for SF6’s roster.

4 Likes

Lee’s SF1 stage was in Alpha

1 Like

Yeah, something that SFxT never did …

I don’t believe it cost that much to makes 70 moves, even super ones. Compared to other “AAA games” I’m pretty certain that street fighter is developed with a very small budget.

Because it wasn’t that at all. Half the SF cast was removed, the stages were all removed, the story, and so on.

2 Likes
  • Gen/Lee’s stage.

But it damaged the Street Fighter x Tekken brand, not the main Street Fighter brand.

Wow, Capcom’s been shitting all over its crossover series. First xTK and then MvC Infinite :S

I’m not even sure if I want a Capcom Vs SNK 3.

This is a sad day.