The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

It wouldn’t have sold as many units as SFxTK. SF4 was already under fire after two installements (Super and Arcade Edition), most people already knew the drill.
The Tekken crossover was something new, whether you like it or not.

Right now, I think the possibility of a Dream Match SF is completely gone. Unless they do something with Atari graphics and very simplified gameplay or something. Or a card game.

Well that just means the sources I look up were wrong on this manner, or at least tell the whole story.

Bullshit. Nobody even fucking wanted SFxTK.

Also bullshit. All they need to do is pick an art style that won’t age(like GG Xrd did) and gameplay that people like, then just keep adding content to it until it’s done, for however long it takes.

2 Likes

I think people more wanted Tekken x Street Fighter, seeing Street Fighter characters moved into a Tekken inspired 3D engine.

But the biggest issue as always is what Capcom believed would happen. Capcom presumably believed that it would make more money from SFxT than a new update to SF4. This isn’t a necessarily wrong belief. New iterations of SF4 would always be a limited market, and it becomes harder to financially justify additional updates and DLC characters as returns diminish. (Notice also the end of SF4, with repurposed SFxT characters and Decapre. Decapre herself was created because they could save money by recycling Cammy’s model.)

A new crossover game entire would at least in theory offer the chance of a wider market, selling to all the SF fans as well as new/curious Tekken fans. Capcom believed their fighting game market had revived, and planned to also push SFxT beside SF4 in competitive ventures. Recycling SF4 assets would reduce costs for this “new” game, while new characters created for SFxT could effectively be sold twice by funneling back as DLC for SF4. A new game would “reset” the DLC market, and Capcom had strong DLC plans for SFxT. Characters, colors, everything. Capcom even attempted selling console exclusive characters to console manufacturers, though only Sony was willing to pay. Then there were the gem DLCs, which were potentially highly profitable low effort productions, particularly if competitive SFxT had boomed with full gem usage as Capcom envisioned.

What killed SFxT was a mix of bad luck and bad decisions. Capcom pushed hard enough on its DLC practices that it triggered backlash. Console exclusive characters angered those who weren’t buying the game on a Sony platform. The announcement of the Vita port getting all the DLC characters for “free” in exchange for coming out a few months later angered those who weren’t buying the Vita version. The DLC characters being pretty much complete on the disc triggered a wider general backlash against on-disc DLC. Some were further angered when they saw others immediately playing said DLC characters through character swap cheats/mods. Fuel was added to the fire with an advertised mode feature being cut from the 360 version at the last minute. And then the other DLC plans were datamined, like additional Quick Combo slots. On top of all of this, there was the deservedly controversial gem system. Despite Capcom’s claim that the game was designed around the gem system, it looked and felt like a shallow and poorly implemented tacked on monetization scheme. At its best, the gem system was seen as a time-wasting nuisance for the tournament scene. At its worst, the gem system was seen as pay-to-win DLC.

The other big issue was Tekken itself. Tekken simply wasn’t well-suited for transition to an SF-inspired 2D engine. It wasn’t an impossible task, but it was guaranteed to cause issues and to disappoint people. But Tekken was the big franchise outside of Mortal Kombat. If Capcom wanted a crossover that wasn’t MK (or Smash), then Tekken was the only real option with the name recognition and popularity Capcom sought.

Honestly, I feel Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat would have been a much better seller. Particularly if Capcom marketed it with the same nostalgia that they used to sell SF4, presenting it as settling/continuing the biggest arcade confrontation of the 90s. My guess is that Capcom did not want SF characters in the hands of Netherrealm for the inevitable MKxSF, where characters like Ryu and Chun-Li would both be delivering and receiving gratuitous fatalities.

SFxT was not guaranteed for failure, though. And it did offer financial possibilities that a new SF4 update didn’t.

5 Likes

What killed SFxTK is nobody asked for it in the first place!

3 Likes

The disgusting presentation and convoluted system didnt help…

3 Likes

SFxT was so bungled on every level it should have resulted in multiple terminations

FFS, that game managed to make SF4 look PRETTY

1 Like

This talk about Alpha 4 literally gave a weird ass dream where Gamespot announced Alpha 4 and my mum was pregnant with a 6th child.

Clearly I go to this forum too much.

3 Likes

The SFxT announcement was the opposite of hype. People wanted CvS3. It was stupid crossover idea, made as a cash grab, that thankfully blew up in their faces.

6 Likes

One has to appreciate that SF-wing of Capcom is so incompetent that ALL OF SFXT couldn’t match the success of having JUST Akuma in Tekken 7.

Pathetic.

1 Like

Tekken fans maybe, as they want the superior SF characters in their engine. No SF fan has any reason to want TxSF or SFxT. Some Tekken characters are not bad, but so are a lot of SF characters that weren’t present in SF4 anyway.

Because they blew up a massive opportunity with SF 4. It sold largely on nostalgia factor alone. If you have to be honest, the game remained unfinished until the end, barebones for a fighting game. Plenty of people bought it for the SF name only but were so disappointed by the lack of features for a modern fighting game that they never came back to SF since.
A real effort in SF4 would have gotten more sales and opened the market for future iterations.

Like the decision to make it in the first place.

No. Except for some die-hard fans, nobody wants that.

2 Likes

Most hardcore fans don’t even want it.

1 Like

Would you guys like a new Cap vs Snk title? Consider that reallisticaly speaking, it would need to be done with 3d graphics (heck even mainline KOF is 3d now).

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be up for another Capcom vs SNK, but only if they really just go for it and max out the quality in terms of presentation and gameplay.

5 Likes

Honestly, no. I JUST want Capcom vs. Capcom at this point.

2 Likes

Only if theyre 2D sprites and the gameplay is a continuation of CvS2

CVS3 would have to use the super meters and grooves from both Snk and Capcom for all characters just like CVS2.

If you are waiting for 2D sprites. You’ll be waiting until the end of time.

4 Likes

I really don’t remember where it was stated that Sari/Sally was 17 at the time of SFZ2.
Also, I don’t think that Datta was already able to write/read with only 3 years old (the Zero saga happens between 1988 and 1990) which would be his age in SF2 (given the fact that now, SFII is back to 1991 instead of 1993, which would be a more plausible age for Datta to do such things). The Fanbook cleary states that Datta is the one who writes and reads the letters. Dhalsim even makes a face which clearly implies that he might be flirting. The same goes for Chris/Amy, but I don’t think that Guile actually knows what’s going on.

I took a look on other charts and the only one which mentions the same sentence as in the second chart is the SSFIIX poster one:

However, I don’t know if the name inside the circle mentions Geki.
The same book have a section with the SF1 characters. Is there anything mentioning their “claw rivarly”?

The Fanbook have this picture of Bison killing the elephant and also the character chart in it mentions such event. Does it mentions if it’s Kodal’s mother or father (I guess it’s the latter because there’s nothing implying that it’s a female elephant)?

Interestingly, Bison killing Kodal’s parent isn’t mentioned on the chart for the SSFIIX poster published on GAMEST.

2 Likes

Street Fighter x Tekken still sold better than whatever “Hyper Street Fighter IV” update would have ever sold.