The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

So, is this getting into the “ideas for Street Fighter VI” route?

Then, this is my main take for the gameplay (and also, why the “Everyone is here” approach wouldn’t fly):

Something I like is the idea of making the game more direct and ‘quicker’.

I know since the Alpha series, Street Fighter has focused a lot on the “choice” aspect (you choose ISMs, Super Arts and/or V-Skillers or V-Triggers), I’d like something simpler.

You pick your character and that’s all.

I don’t know why the player should be limited to a single super art either; Alpha 3 had every character at least two Super Combos available every time and no one saw a problem with it. And I like the idea of having 2 Supers and 1 Ultra per character, always ‘selected’.

Of course, Street Fighter IV and V made “easier” content updates by just adding one more move to every character, and at the same time they expanded the game’s life and options for players who already knew very well who were their mains.
It would be more expensive to create only new characters as DLC updates, and maybe many players won’t be interested since they already know who they’re playing as.

That’s another reason why I don’t see the “everyone’s here” approach to the roster. I don’t think that could ever happen.

I see. So what do you think would fit best for this line? Or could be a typo from their part (in the second chart)?

I think I’ll keep the veteral, since the arrow goes from President to Zangief, meaning Gorbatchev is Zangief’s veteran. What do you think?

Interesting. But Kodal’s parent(s) could also be Dhalsim’s friend(s), this is somewhat implied in 37 “Avenging his dear elephant”, but he could be avenging Kodal for his parents murder.
Also, in the first chart it’s written “37: Although his deadly technique was associated with killing bulls, it killed his father”, so it was Kodal’s father Bison killed.

Thanks a lot man!

No Ghost Bison please. Just add thefucking Bison - or don’t. None of that Nightmare Geese shit. Let’s not pretend that he’s not gonna come back, or that it’s not gonna be the most epic shit when he does.

But no half Bisons or fake Bisons (Looking at you Udon).

1 Like

Guys, which roster did you prefer, Street Fighter IV series or Street Fighter V?

SFV has the most well rounded roster in an SF game since SF2/Alpha 3.

I think the only misfire was Lucia. Viper or Oro or Rose would’ve been more welcome.

Sounds like you need a kuppa kawfee

2 Likes

4’s I think. Though 5 had some great additions.

Though seeing how 5 turned out, I wish they’d just kept adding characters to 4…

Abigail is much worse than Lucia. Alot of the newcomers could have been better.

1 Like

I liked that Rolento, Adon and Dudley were playable in SF4.

1 Like

I would go for SF IV as well even if SF V is not that bad. I’m really missing T Hawk, Guy, Gen, and a couple of 3rd strikers.
The best one remains alpha 3 for the time.

G, Ed, Falke and Necalli are also worse than Lucia.

1 Like

Alpha 3 was and will always be the one and only “Everyone is here” Street Fighter game.

And I was disappointed by Blanka and Honda.

Seeing what they did with Guile, Dhalsim and Bison’s gameplay, I was open and curious at the idea of seeing them return to be reinvented for the new millennium.

But they changed nothing of their gameplay or design, they were just boring.

Should really consider an alpha 4 at some point. No story required just dream match.

2 Likes

Call it Street Fighter Omega.

2 Likes

Lucia and Falke are weak additions, Kage is trash. Never needed SheSeth either

I don’t hate Abigail but Hugo was better

Overall i agree on SFV having greater cast, even if there are things that i prefer of SF4, like stronger focus on martial arts archetypes

4 Likes

That’s not so simple. The marriageable age in India is 18 for women and 21 for men, and that’s correct.
The age of consent, however, is 18 only since 3 April, 2014. It was previously 16. So it was perfectly legal for Dhalsim and Sari to sleep together and sire a child, even out of wedlock.
Nevertheless, Capcom is quite consistent about the fact Dhalsim and Sari were already married when Datta was conceived. We first saw the newborn Datta in SFZ2 Dhalsim’s ending, so here Sari is 17.

In spite of that, in SFZ3 Stage backstory Sari tells to Dhalsim she’s pregnant, so that must’ve occurred before SFZ2.
We could say that Dhalsim and Sari’s marriage was illegal, but very far from NOT being the norm in India at the time (or even now, for that matter), and particularly in Uttar Pradesh, where Dhalsim apparently come from.¹ I don’t see any problem with it.

Nah, I think they purposely did it as a joke.

It’s really the same, anyone knows that Gorbachev was Zangief’s senior at university.

Hang on, the word is the same. It’s always written 親象 oyazō, “parent elephant”, even in the first chart. Let’s revise the two, more literally:
First chart:
37: He killed his elephant parent(s) using a special move² named Bull Killer.
Second chart:
37: The killer of his parent(s)
38: Footnote 7: A while ago, he killed his elephant parent(s) using a special move² called Elephant Killer.

Interesting that they changed the name of Boxer’s move in the second chart.
Dhalsim is seemingly avenging Kodal’s parent(s). Of course they were also his friends. Nonetheless, the matter seems to have been dropped altogether by Capcom. Even Ryoredcyclone ironised about it on his blog: not only Dhalsim never directly interacts with Boxer, but even when he does, he never refers to Kodal in his win quotes against Boxer.

Kodal: “BRAAA! (have you avenged me?)”
Dhalsim: “Huh? What was it again?”
Datta: “Dad, you FORGOT!”

:laughing:

¹ Jaunpur is Dhalsim’s stage in SFZ3, and Jaunpur is a city (and a district) in Uttar Pradesh. It’s where Dhalsim and Sari first met (as per SFZ3 stage backstory). Obviously Dhalsim and Sari’s village can’t be a city with a population of 160000; and the monuments in the stage, if they ever exist, aren’t in Jaunpur as far as I can tell. We can’t exactly rely upon Capcom’s geography…
² The original is always 必殺技 hissatsuwaza, “sure killing technique”.

2 Likes

SFV hands down. Despite my love for Gouken, SFV actually introduced several good new characters.

3 Likes

SF6 story line will probably state that SF5 was just somebody’s dream or nightmare like America’s Super Mario Bros. 2

No it wont piss off

1 Like

You mean; no, it wont piss off people if this did happen?

They could have done it with SF4 if they hadn’t made SFxTK. As SF4 was missing less than 25 characters at the end. So if they hadn’t spent those resources making 25 Tekken characters in the SF4 engine, they could have done it then.

4 gave us Abel, El Fuerte, Gouken, Hakan and Juri.
5 gave us Rashid, Laura, Kolin and Lucia.
FANG, Menat, Ed and Zeku COULD have been great, with slight tweaks.

2 Likes