The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Lee’s stage, Great Wall of China

1 Like

From the original Street Fighter guys, Mike would be the only character I wouldn’t be interested in playing with.

Mike is M.Bison btw.

No he’s not.

Capcom wouldn’t risk to a lawsuit XDD

No, he’s not.
Mike CFN Profile

2 Likes

Fortunately, he moved all his stuff to his own blog page awhile ago.

I especially liked Kiki’s redesigns for Retsu and Lee. SF needs a Drunken Master.

Him and Joe for me. If Joe comes back, he needs a new gimmick. Or…ANY gimick.

God I wish Joe had got the prisoner gimmick instead of Cody…

But he SHOULD be.

1 Like

Should, but you know, legal reasons. If you confirm Balrog’s/M. Bison’s name is ‘Mike’… Tyson’s lawyers are sharpening their teeth…

I think the whole SFOne crew is perfectly open for cool reinventions. Eagle was cool from the beginning (a blind bouncer fighting with sticks in a unique way), I’d say give Retsu a bo staff, Joe can get nunchakus, Lee a drunken master and Geki well, he’s a ninja, how hard can it be to make a ninja cool?

Mike is the one I think has a lot less chances of being successfuly reinvented, I’m completely in the dark there.
I liked his gameplay on Valkyrie’s Street Fighter One remake, but honestlily there’s not much to hold onto.

And counting Balrog and Dudley already exist, there’s like zero need for another black boxer.

Which Capcom of Japan have been doing since 1991. There, he was always called MIKE Bison…
Also, it seems that only recently, Tyson learned that there was a character in Street Fighter that looked exactly like him. Actually, I don’t believe that. Also, the host of the show didn’t actually mentioned MIKE Bison, just M. Bison… smart move. Also, they didn’t mentioned anything about Bison being a villain who would do anything for money, could possibly be a rapist (Bison’s japanese WQ to Cammy in vanilla SFIV raise an eyebrow), and, courtesy of Capcom USA, could bite the rival’s ear off… Just like Tyson.
Personally, I think Tyson was so high that he didn’t make the connection…

1 Like

Guys, I’m in a heated debate.

Which franchise has the best character designs nowadays? Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter ?

Gotta say, Street Fighter IV and V don’t have very good character designs (look at Rufus, El Fuerte, Hakan, G, Ed, Falke, Lucia… and character’s alternate DLC costumes), (some people would say the decline goes as far as starting at SF3), and while Mortal Kombat had a terrible “dark era” (MK4 to MKvDC), nowadays they’ve improved a lot with character designs.

I gotta say I believe nowadays Mortal Kombat characters (aside from the “Loinkloth Kombat” joke) tend to look better in design aspects.

Current SF is a good-to-mediocre statue made of Carrara marble

Current MK is a mediocre statue made of dried cow shit

Also some of the IV/V designs you mentioned are not only better than anything will ever come out of MK, but also better than actual characters that made it to SF3 supposed peak

I feel sad now

I think the newest MK games have had pretty good designs, a lot of improvement for characters like Reptile, Smoke, Noob, etcetera, giving them more peronality and sleeker looks.

Shang Tsung looks great now, too.

As for SFV, we also had great redesigns for characters like Urien and Sakura, along with others terrible like Nash’s or Lucia’s.
But really, most of the new characters for 4 (Rufus, El Fuerte, even Seth) and 5 (F.A.N.G., Ed, Falke, G, some would say Rashid) have been terrible. Also, some of them have obnoxious personalities (Rufus, El Fuerte, Hakan, F.A.N.G., Abigail).

1 Like

Uh, in Japan his name IS Mike Bison. Officially.
Also, he no longer resembles Tyson like he did in SF2.
Either way, there’s no reason for Mike to return.

Eagle isn’t blind.

I always wanted Joe to be reimagined as a Boston-Irish bareknuckle boxer. Basically Brad Pitt’s character in Snatch(only, ya know, American).

Of course his SF5 profile says he’s from Missouri. So another possibility would be to give him that cowboy aesthetic they keep trying to shackle Ken with with alt costumes.

1 Like

Get out

1 Like

5 Likes

Magegg and jion watsu becoming regular posters is the single worst thing that’s happened in this thread.

4 Likes

I’d probably like Mortal Kombat’s looks if it went for a stylized/Western comics look.

The emphasis on realism is really holding back the series visually in my opinion.

1 Like

BINGO, here it is.

Sari [character • :female_sign:]
• SF2 / SF2CE / SF2T / SSF2

Dhalsim’s wife. They have a son, Datta. She practices yoga like her husband, and she knows a special technique to control the nutrients intake of food. Neither her name nor her looks are revealed in game.
• SSF2T
As Dhalsim’s ending was redrawn, her looks was revealed. A cute young woman, who doesn’t seem a mother at all.
• SFZ2 / SFZ2A
Weight: 40 kg / Measures: B82 · W57 · H86

Dhalsim’s wife, so cute you’d think she’s wasted on him, only 17 (!) during this time. In Dhalsim’s ending, she appears carrying their newborn son Datta, and cheers up her husband. She also appears in Dhalsim’s stage, displaying a variety of expressions according to what happens to her husband.
SFZ3
She was still pregnant with Datta. She cheered for Dhalsim in his stage despite her condition.
SFEX2
She doesn’t show herself, but appears in Dhalsim’s ending cheering for her husband as she did in SFZ2.
X-Men VS Street Fighter
She appears in Dhalsim’s ending. Dhalsim tells her he’d dreamt about fighting Apocalypse, and she gently urges him to eat his curry before it gets cold.
Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter
She appears in Dhalsim’s ending. Although her husband brings home a hideous monster (Shuma-Gorath), she doesn’t bat an eyelid and smiling treats it with her special curry.
Pocket Fighter
She appears in the background of the beach house, on top of the elephant (Kodal?).

Datta [character・:male_sign:]
• SF2 / SF2CE / SF2T / SSF2
• SSF2T

Dhalsim’s son, still a kid. Since he’s so young and still can’t do yoga, he must eat to live; so his father engages in street fights to earn the money to sustain him. In Dhalsim’s ending, he’s grown up thanks to the food (obviously curry rice) obtained with his father’s street fights. He warmly chats with his father about what happened three years before. Incidentally, Datta is pen-friend with Chris, Guile’s daughter.
• SFZ2 / SFZ2A
He appears in Dhalsim’s ending. He’s still a three months newborn by this point, carried around by Sari.
• SFZ3
Still growing in Sari’s womb.
• X-Men VS Street Fighter
He appears in Dhalsim’s ending. He happily listens when his father tells how he dreamt about fighting Apocalypse. He appears to have roughly the same age as he had in SF2.
• Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter
He appears in Dhalsim’s ending. As it was in SFZ2, he’s still a baby and carried around by his mother Sari.

Lol. I love how much they joke about that without ever giving a definite answer. :laughing:

Oh, incidentally, while skimming through the fanbook scans I’ve found that Honda’s disciple we thought was named 龍山 Tatsuyama was in fact 龍山 Ryūzan. Damn kanjis alternate pronunciation… Luckily they clarified that.

2 Likes

Let’s not also forget the long-term damage that SFxTekken did to the Street Fighter/Capcom Fighting Game brand.

It RUINED that shit for A LOT of people. I know 3 people in my immediate friend circle (all casual SF fans) that got SF4 then were hyped for SFxT…picked it up and felt ripped off and have not bought a single fighter since except for Injustice or MK titles

2 Likes

Same here. Also, now that Gen’s out of the picture, Retsu could perfectly fill in his “old master” role. It’s high time some SF1 veterans made a comeback.

1 Like

F U C K I N G L O L

If Mortal Kombat had it’s dark era during the MK4-MKvDC timeframe, which gave good to great designs like Fujin, Tanya, Quan-Chi, Havik, Kenshi, Ashrah, Nitara, Hotaru and Dairou what can you call the modern era?

The best characters to come out of this crap are Skarlet, D’Vorah, Kung Jin, Takeda and Erron Black.

By comparasion, the worst characters of the 3D era, Moloch, Drahmin, Hsu Hao, Blaze all have rivals in shitinnes like Ferra/Torr, Cassie Cage, Jacqui Briggs, Geras and Kronika. And joke characters like Mokap and Meat are balanced out by a shit ton of horrible guest characters who suck balls and take up space, time and money from producing actual good stuff.

In terms of redesigns, they range from bad to worse. The best redesigns came in MK9 and since then have been shittier and shitter. And MK9’s designs are still outshone by MKvDC’s. Compare Raiden and Liu Kang in those games and tell me MK9 looks cooler. Fuck that noise.

And compared to Street Fighter it’s not even close. Street Fighter on a bad day can come up with better characters than Mortal Kombat can in year. Rufus is bad? Well, at least he doesn’t fart and puke on his opponents like Bo Rai Cho. G, Ed, Lucia and Hakan are bad? Sure, not all of them are the best, but really? Lucia is literally Cassie Cage done better. G is godlike. Ed is better than all the kombat kids combined. Hakan is a great traditional design that fits Street Fighter like a glove.

Even Street Fighter’s bad characters fit the tone of the series and have somekind of roots in the overall culture that impacted and inspired the franchise in the first place (manga, anime, martial arts movies, martial arts stories, wrestling).
What does Mortal Kombat have? Punks with guns, ugly monsters and dumb brutes. That’s why the best characters of that franchise are still the MK1-3 guys and they always come back. Because they fit the story MK was about. I bet no one will ask about any of the modern era’s characters back 10 years from now, except the couple I mentioned before… and that’s if you are generous.

God I fucking hate Mortal Kombat nowadays…

9 Likes