The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Actually, YOUR interpretation makes the most sense. Since when does Dhalsim have the MONEY to BUY UP something? Since there’s not an explicit subject in the sentence, you have to deduce it, and the arrow confused me. But no, it’s Dhalsim that resents Vega because VEGA monopolised the spice market (lol). Lots of silly motivations for fighting; it’s not surprising they left out most of them later…

That was a direct reference to “Classy” Freddie Blassie, widely known in Japan for his habit to fiercely bite his opponents in the forehead. Blassie appeared in various mangas and cartoons as well, most notably in Kajiwara’s Tiger Mask.

So Capcom gave Zangief three HEEL moves: the bite and Von Erich’s stomach (medium distance d + MP or HP) and iron claw (medium distance f + MP). That’s why even the Japanese were at first confused if he was meant as a good or bad character. Of course, since in pro wrestling and even more in street fighting literally anything goes, one or two “not nice” moves shouldn’t be a problem…

1: Honestly, it’s not clear. Maybe only to better distinguish between them?
2: Yes, I already romanised them as Nishinofuji and Marunoumi, but it’s a matter of preference. It should be noted that even Ryoredcyclone pointed out that 龍山 Tatsuyama was sometimes 鳩山 Hatoyama instead.

5 Likes

I guess that’s where Rog one-punch killing Sim’s elephant come from lol, they gone for the upgrade :smiley:

3 Likes

Looks like Urien finally got rid of Gill

5 Likes

Good riddance!!

3 Likes

Urien: “Oh, you pathetic rats. LOOK AT ME… when I am talking to you.”

Urien catches a random SRK user and holds him up by the neck

Urien: “You shall never mention the name Gill again in my presence. You talk among your little friends as if Gill is going to save you from my wrath! But, listen well, you worthless rat… I am your lord and your god and you will FEAR ME! As a matter of fact, I shall cease your credit card, force you to write bad checks, obliterate your credit score, and reduce you to the pile of excrement that you are!!”

Dude: “PUT HIM DOWN, YOU THICK HEADED FUCKFACE!”

Urien: “…!!!”

Urien proceeds to headbutt the dude 16 times

Urien: “Oh, I am certainly thick-headed. Just headstrong enough to TEAR YOU APART! THOU MUST SUFFER AT THE MIGHT OF THE LORD GOD EMPEROR URIEN!!!”

Here it is, the Street Fighter II - Complete File relations chart translated.

NOTE: Post edited after @Midgardsorm corrections and notes.

1: Street Fighter II - Relationship chart between all characters
2: Training rivals (Footnote 1)
3: Footnote 1: Ryu gets a little angry at Ken, because “he gets infatuated with women”
4: Brother-in-law (Footnote 2)
5: Footnote 2: Obviously, they fight each other without knowing it
6: Girlfriend
7: Sister
8: Married couple
9: Parents and daughter
10: Pet
10a: Friend
11: Comrade in arms
12: Destined rivals
13: Mutual feeling that one must defeat the other
14: Disciple
15: Subordinate (Footnote 3)
16: Footnote 3: Lately, Sagat has not approved the foul play methods adopted by Vega, and there is an harsh atmosphere between the two
17: Hates his gloomy personality
18: Avenging his great friend
19: Killed him in order to keep his mouth shut
20: Is there a connection behind his unknown whereabouts?
21: Father (Narcotics Department investigator)
22: Avenging her father’s murder?
23: Father and daughter
24: Envy her beauty (Footnote 4)
25: Footnote 4: Chun-Li ignores him.
26: Hyakuretsu’s rival
27: Had his kick plagiarized sometime ago
28: Ideological enemies (Footnote 5)
29: Footnote 5: The president has a cooperative relationship with Zangief; that’s because, Shadaloo is an hindrance to the president’s peace policy
30: Subordinate
31: Claw rivals1
32: President
32a: A veteran at the Wrestling Club
33: Subordinates
34: The huge criminal organization Shadaloo
35: Long ago, crashed an airplane (Footnote 6)
36: Footnote 6: On the same plane, there was a minister from a certain country, and as a Shadaloo strategy, the plane was brought down
37: Avenging his dear elephant (Footnote 7)
38: Footnote 7: A while ago, he killed Dhalsim’s parent elephant using a sure-killing technique.2
39: Won’t forgive bad guys
40: Hates the wire-netting (Footnote 8)
41: Footnote 8: Once, Blanka got trapped in a wire-netted cage
42: Previously plagiarized the Super Zutsuki
43: Hates violent subjects
44: Vega (boss)
45: Hates the f****** snob
46: Disciples
47: Nishi-no-Fuji
48: Maru-no-Umi
49: Yasuhanada
50: Tatsuyama
51: Pen pal
52: Mother and son
53: Friend and means of transport
54: Father and son
55: Kabuki make up rival

1: This is interesting because it could be a play with the first chart. In that, there was written カキゾメ kakizome in katakana. That’s indeed the practice of writing the first character calligraphy art of the New Year, but other than 激 geki (“violent”) being the aforementioned character it doesn’t make much sense. Here, there’s written カギヅメ kagizume , “CLAW”. It could be a wordplay with the first chart… Or they wrote “claw” wrong in the first.
2: 親象 Oyazō is “parent elephant” (not “elephant friend”). It’s left unspecified if Bison killed Kodal’s father, or his mother, or BOTH his parents, as the word could even be plural. Kodal is Dhalsim’s elephant and mount. We see Kodal in Dhalsim’s ending, so Bison couldn’t have killed him .

Thanks a lot!

6 Likes

Urien Remix.

How Urien killed Gill (to make things quicker, fast forward to the boss fight sequence in the TAS). Credits to Crystal Cube 99.

I think Dhalsim’s family really should be explored a bit more, as it just raises so many questions. His wife always seemed really young but she’s seen so rarely they might retcon it. How does his son feel about having one of the more powerful characters in the SF series (hot take: Dhalsim is Ryu/Ken level ignoring plot armor) as a father? Does he use his powers for day-to-day stuff like getting things off of shelves?

2 Likes

She was stated as being 17 during SF2. Which is a bit disturbing when Dhalsim was 39. She still looks a bit young in her CFN profile. That said, given the sliding timeline this could no longer be the case.

Slightly unrelated.

I notice that Dhalsim has a tendency of popping up in tier lists as high-tier or a strong mid-tier character in most of his earlier appearances…

We gonna have to start calling him Yoga Allen or Yoga Kelly…nah Yoga Allen is a better fit.

@Darc_Requiem it gets worse. I search it up just to make sure and Sally was 17 when she gave birth to Datta so she could’ve been younger when she married him.

Wow…never figured the enlightened street fighter would be getting his Woody Allen on.

I mean, they’re Indian. As written by Japanese people.

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/1257384957040889861

I didn’t notice this before, but “Haggar impressions” is a skill?! That’s amazing, hah, man I love her even more now.

4 Likes

SFA3 appears to show Dhalsim using his powers when he needs to travel long distances, even when presumably not in a hurry. Dhalsim defeats Bison and says that he can now return home. The next image is Dhalsim apparently high in the sky in a twisty yoga pose, with the background only showing clouds and Dhalsim tinted blue. The final image is Dhalsim in the same pose with the background being the India stage. So apparently he just drill headbutts himself to other countries?

Though Dhalsim explicitly says in SSF4 that his power is divine, and not meant to be used for the simple desires of mortal men. He honestly even seems to debate whether it is right to use his powers to save the village? (Saying his power isn’t meant for simple desires immediately followed by how he feels compelled to save the village regardless.)

1 Like

That’s more Chun-Li ignores him. Just imagine the scene: Balrog going all envious and rabid while Chun-Li is “Just who are you anyway?” :laughing:

Ideological enemies.

This is interesting because it could be a play with the first chart. In that, there was written カキゾメ kakizome in katakana. That’s indeed the practice of writing the first character calligraphy art of the New Year, but other than 激 geki (“violent”) being the aforementioned character it doesn’t make much sense. Here, there’s written カギヅメ kagizume, “CLAW”. It could be a wordplay with the first chart… Or they wrote “claw” wrong in the first.

That’s junior. Zangief is the junior. But the meaning is the same, as Gorbachev is the veteran.

That’s interesting. 親象 Oyazō is “parent elephant” (not “elephant friend”). It’s left unspecified if Boxer killed Kodal’s father, or his mother, or BOTH his parents, as the word could even be plural. Kodal is Dhalsim’s elephant and mount. We see Kodal in Dhalsim’s ending, so Boxer couldn’t have killed him.

Hates the f****** snob. Some descriptions are way more “personal” than others. Like Ryu - Ken, LOL.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Imo, it’s a combination of “zoning bad” and expanded mobility/offensive options in newer games. Up until SF3, there were no dashes. SF3 added a bunch of things that would have been brutal on Dhalsim (parries, dashes, Yun in general), and Dhalsim’s replacement was clearly designed around that with how his moves work relative to Dhalsim. Come SF4, now everyone can FADC through single hit moves with long recovery. SFV then went on to give out anti-projectile/poke tools like candy, buffed the hell out of close range frame traps that he can’t do well, then tried to help by making his teleport 50/50 the best thing about him at the cost of his already nerfed screen control.

As for story, Dhalsim is this odd case in ASF where he really does get his share of screen time, but it gets misused. His only real conversations are with Alex and Ryu, but the former felt forced and the latter was mostly exposition. Ryu sought him out for advice on the SNH, but with Gouken clearly alive I have no idea why. Why was Dhalsim the one to go to New York, alone? I think something was given about the city’s power being down, but I don’t think it would have been that hard for Ken or Guile to take that part of the operation.

1 Like

Chun-li is so hot when she is not jobbing to anyone or involved with any bad writing decisions…

1 Like