The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

SF5 is a fugly looking game with bad and inconsistent art direction

5 Likes

This is anecdotal, I certainly don’t presume that I represent the majority of players.
However, I hardly believe that I’m the only one feeling this way.

So, I played Street Fighter a bit when SF2 came out, and the following years, say something like 1991-1994, then for some reasons I more or less stopped playing fighting games for a while.

Years later, around 1999-2000, I wanted to go back to the game. I went and got myself the original sf2. What a disappointment. The game was slow and ugly compared to my memories. It was the correct game, it’s just that game had evolved, my standards for graphics and speed were different, and I couldn’t recognize the game.
Next thing I did was to buy street fighter alpha 3, and I fell in love with the game. This was exactly how I remembered SF2. For me alpha captured perfectly the spirit of SF2 and gave us more. Some of this ‘more’ wasn’t that great (the whole story with Bison Psycho Power, Sakura, Rose, …) but even so, sf alpha was more sf2 than sf2 itself, and the anime style contributed to that, because what was seen as anime in 1991 is not the same as what was seen as anime in 2000, and what is seen as anime now.

For 1991, sf2 was anime.

1 Like

But it’s looked like shit lately.

Ugh, fuck off with this. SF4’s style was ugly, but I gave it a pass because it was their first real 2.5D SF game, and because Xrd hadn’t come along and solved 2.5D fighting game graphics forever yet.

Then SF5 came out and just did SF4 again with a few more polygons and even worse hair and clothing physics.

If they do that again with SF6, I’m fucking done.

Most people are liking, not complaining.

Both Hokuto no Ken and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, arguably the biggest influences on Street Fighter, are definitely not “anime aesthetic” in the traditional sense.

two of the most influential animes in the history of anime don’t have “traditional anime aesthetic”…

The fuck drugs are you on, dude?

6 Likes

It’s completely true. No big eyes and shit.

Fuck, man, I honestly can’t put into words how ignorant of a statement this is regarding the history of anime art styles.

It’s staggering

4 Likes

You’re completely wrong.

You, person that doesn’t think HnK and Jojo, two of the most influential pieces of media in the history of Japanese animation and manga qualify as possessing “traditional” aethestics for anime and manga, telling me I’m completely wrong…

FFS, dude, you might as well be claiming Batman doesn’t have “traditional” comic book aesthetic because he doesn’t look like Archie

EDIT:

“No big eyes and shit”

Just that sentence. My god.

4 Likes

Please please PLEASE try to double down on your claim, man.

I want to see it

1 Like

Definitely not a traditional anime style.

Both HNK and JoJo’s look nothing like current “anime games”.

“As long as I narrowly define a genre I can say nothing looks like it except things in that narrow style”

Hint: SF5 is a current ‘anime game’ whose aesthetic is strongly influenced by Jojo and HnK. Just like KOF. Just like Persona.

“Yeah but that doesn’t look like the stuff I consider anime”

Do you not see the circular logic of your statements?

Good god.

2 Likes

KOF’s aesthetic is not strongly influenced by Jojo, unlike Street Fighter. There’s inspiration for certain characters, sure, but overall it doesn’t have that aesthetic.

Street Fighter much more, with very muscular dudes and ladies, and such.

HNK, JoJo’s, Street Fighter, none of those look anything like Melty Blood, Guilty Gear, Aquapazza and those sort of ‘anime games’, not in graphics or aesthetics.
And IMO, it shouldn’t change to look like them.

Fuck, dude

Everyone else: “Street Fighter needs to look more like its original anime aesthetic”

Mageg: “No it shouldn’t! It never had an anime aesthetic because that’s only this really narrow animu aesthetic that I think about when I think about anime and Alpha definitely didn’t have a massive Jojo influence at all”

You fucking defined your own super narrow view of anime then used it to say Street Fighter shouldn’t look like THAT even though people were being clear about wanting Street Fighter to look like fucking Street Fighter using graphics of the sort used by games like DBFighterz and Guilty Gear.

Get a CAT scan.

1 Like

SF1/2 didn’t look quite like traditional anime aesthetic.

It looked like this:

It definitely shouldn’t look like Dragon Ball Z, IMO. Its “anime times” from Alpha already passed.

1 Like

Without getting too specific, I get what some are saying, SF in general doesn’t scream anime in the most broad sense, like, not everybody is a conoseur on the so varied style of animes. Obviosly SF has an anime dna here and there (in some stances, full blown like Alpha) but SF looks like, well…SF :man_shrugging:t2:

Please let the art style of SF6 be based on SFII the animated movie. Please

5 Likes

No they aren’t. Stop lying.

Okay, I now understand what you MEAN when you say “no anime style”, but your definition of what “anime style” is, is completely wrong.

100%

SF doesn’t look like anything, because SF looks like a different thing every game. There’s no such thing as a “SF look”.

So the real questions are “when did SF look the best?” and “can you improve on that?”.

And anyone whose answer to the first question is SF2, 4 or 5 is a dipshit that doesn’t deserve to have eyes.

3 Likes

Wow.

And here I thought this was a discussion.

SF5, SF3 and SF Alpha were best. SF5 is faithful to SF’s art styles, and it’s gorgeous. Deal with it.

3 Likes

Well, you’re 2/3rds right…

Wow, it’s so weird of you to forfeit your eyes like that. But it’s nice of you to turn yourself in.

1 Like