The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

I always thought Oro defeating Ryu was one of those encounters that was accepted as canon. Don’t recall this being stated officially anywhere now that I think about it.

2 Likes

This may be so but I don’t know where it originates other than the old plot guide. Oro may have beaten Ryu and realized his potential to want to train him like in the manga, still there isn’t any solid source material on the matter.

What I did find out that may have been lost is that Sean is actually interested in being Oro’s pupil more so than Ryu is.

2 Likes

It also safe to accept that Oro beaten Ryu and proceeds on training yet how about the story on Oro throwing the tournament and both of them participating?

Interesting that Sean is famiar with Oro despite him being a youth and Oro being a hermit that would stay in cave rather than the city.

Happy new year everone!

Also, is that image from Edayan o Bengus? I sometimes mix those two during the Alpha days.

2 Likes

Happy new year!

SF Canon of that era has been a mess, with lot of stuff that we can’t be sure is legit or not

SF wiki list some fights between sf3ers, some cool too… but SF wiki is far from perfect and many don’t accept It as source

Some i can add as canon from sf3 era even if some not/none related to the tournament itself

Ryu v Alex
Ryu v Sean x999
Chun Li v Urien
Dudley v Gill (Dudley won his car back)

Alex v Rog*
Gief v Pulk Hogen (Gief was winning)
Sean v Pulk Hogen (surprise attack KO)**

Gill definitely pulled his usual fake defeat farce, see how easily Ryu one-side beated Alex later (Oro in sf3 consider Ryu/Gill on same level as potential)

But was interessing Gill could not quickly regenerate as usual from the damage caused by Alex, wich forced Gill to stay in the capsule to heal in sf3TS

Yes, he was’nt interessed in the tournament but to find a legit disciple and he found Ryu

Back to SF3 seems like nobody could have stopped him aside Akuma, now in SFV re-writing seems like they’re considering make Gill more powerful than how he was in 3, so who know… but maybe it’s just my impression

2 Likes

The one that he is seeking Ryu and interested to be trained is confirmed, there was no question with that because the question and the doubt was the part that Oro and Ryu was ever participants of the tournament and Oro thrown the fight.

Like Baku(probably manga) and Doctrine is asking is the legit and official from what sources of those originated?

There was no sources saying forced was forced Gill to stay o such things thats fake news and with delayed recovery after the encounter.

Thats misleading and misinformation there, Since there was no sources both official and non-official including fanfic from that past that said or mentioned and said those things about Gill undergone those things after Alex confrontation.

Even Bison and Gill confrontation in CFJ will tell you the otherwise.

Megaman X lookin’ real cotton candy right now.

I think it’s Daigo based on the flat hair everyone has. Daigo and Hideki Ishikawa were usually the ones who did pieces for the CFC/CAP! magazines. I really want them scanned/archived but the only scans to come out of it are the Megaman related ones.

The MM characters always seen in a awkward position in these crossover pics. Protoman and Bass are now suddenly small instead of teens. X is desperately looking for hi̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶f̶e̶ friend Zero and now wants Jill. Even 100 years of morality testing couldn’t stop X from being a horny degenerate.

In the MVC one, Morrigan seems to be too close for Megaman, much to Roll’s anger.

Regarding the subject of having a tournament in whatever the next Street Fighter is…

I’m kind of split. I am of an opinion that a game absolutely must have an official tournament happening is merely a relic of the past, despite being a staple of the genre and something you’d expect, and needs to go.

The problem is that an actual martial arts tournament taking place is a lame copout from a writing standpoint, because technically it gives a reason for all those characters to be in the roster.

Like look at Street Fighter II - why did all those guys were in the tournament? Because Bison was looking for a replacement body (but most likely already being set on taking over Ryu, as he knew Ryu would join the bash). Realistically half of the characters shouldn’t even be there if we look at ST from a purely lore side.

Look at Tekken 5 - the “main” plot of that game was the confrontation between Mishima family members and the resurrected Jinpachi, with Jin taking over the Zaibatsu which leads into the global warfare between Jin and Kazuya in Tekken 6. 95% of the roster had jack shit to do with this conflict, so they were instead given their own reasons to join in since the main prize was either a huge sum of money or vital research data for reforestation or just solving a vendetta. True, Namco’s writers were smart about it, but more often than not character-specific plots were just unnecessary or ridiculous

Look at the KOF series (which probably handled the tournament approach the best) - a simple invitation sent from a mysterious person (at least in the Orochi Saga), then a grand spectatle held only to serve a distraction for the real subplot about preventing a cult from fulfilling its evil scheme (Ash Saga), and lastly literally a billionaire resurrecting a brand for the people to have fun and for Antonov to test himself (the current…saga, I guess)

Look at Mortal Kombat - the original trilogy had a united plot which followed through all three games and it was more than just a tournament, it was a fucking fight to the death and for the fate of Earth, with later Midway/NRS taking a much more serious approach to the storytelling and eliminating the “tournament” aspect entirely

Look at the original Guilty Gear - its entire purpose was gathering strong fighters in one place by a Holy Order as a reaction to rumor of reappearance of one of the series’ villains, and even then ArcSys completely subvert the expectation by revealing it was all a ruse to make a sacrifice and to actually revive said villain, the tournament was basically just a hoax

So when the writing/synposis of the game is weak - you get silly shit like the Alpha series (which had no tournament period), or entire SF3 series (which basically only had a “tournament” in the first game). But when you set out to actually write a story - you get grand pieces like Guilty Gear’s anime movies, or NRS’ Hollywood Blockbusters, or Tekken 7’s finale of the Mishima Saga

What I’m trying to say is I think Capcom went in the right direction with V’s story, but if they decide to do another cinematic-style story mode for SF6 or whatever - they need to work on improving the general pace/flow (Shadow Falls have a lot of scenes that were pointless or were weirdly placed, not to mention the endless loading screens), and integrating more characters into the main plot, even if it results in just a B-plot that has no ultimate outcome on the game’s events.

I appreaciate you guys cracking at it with ideas like G having a tournament of his own, whatever the purpose may be, but I think it’s not needed and Street Fighter as a whole can do better in regards to its lore

2 Likes

Could anyone see Raiden from Mortal Kombat confronting Gill. Wonder what their diologue would be…

Better yet, Scorpion and Sub Zero interacting with Gill due to the ice and fire powers!!!

My 2cent

Could have done longer one, but tbh i don’t think it will have more grip nor i have much desire to defend it :smiley:

To me it’s all about character design, wich in SF lead to char background and identity
SF is literally built on character design (for the dress, of course on gameplay for the substance), “Story” is nice*, but if story get too much in the way of character design, then fuck story.

What’s SF true core? Not the C level shit plot we get as spice, i mean the true core

Fighters from all corners of the world bringing different styles/traditions/customs and beat the shit out of each other, with Ryu and his “martial arts journey to see the world and meet strong fighters” personifying our eye that discover new challengers

No setting does that better than tournament, no setting “justify” more characters have that SF look and interactions
Tbh it does’nt even have to be a true tournament, but the vibe has to be about martial arts more than GIjoe/Avengers bs, because the former will encourage more “fighters” wich is good to keep alive true SF core

Essentially i ultimately give no giant fucks about who and how will treat planet earth in SF6 and why a bunch of good guys will stop him with their karate punches, kung fu kicks and pro wrestling throws

Just write some shit that justify more good “SF designs”

1 Like

How Ironic, Someone talking about character design. When your among the most who pushed radical change to bastardized an appeal and familiarity of an iconic character to fit other things that you like mma or another another anime character.

Being on the core of the character and being faithful to it’s iconic presentation is about working with everything which is opposite to mostly evething you prefer like radically changing things by dragging other reference like mma and other anime to change the character to something else while disregarding the character establish presentation and growth. That is not about being faithful and the core of the character that the opposite. Then if your losing an argument you call people fake and fraud but ironically you are the one.

Character design isn’t all visuals and the stuff at the drawing board.

Edit.

You even now deleted and change your later tone of your argument comment deleting and removing tons of Vandame pics and reference. Since you prefer street fighter story to be written by vandame. Thats absurb?

Look the guy did tons of movies and been Guile for a particular project but thats not how SF has been. Those days didn’t have ALPHA as influence.

His not even close to the ideal Guile even the cartoons did a better Guile character

Protoman and Bass are the same size as Megaman. Which is 4’4".

That’s exactly the point. It gives characters with no godly reason to be involved with plots involving secret societies and evil moon satellites a reason to be present.

4 Likes

So I decided to play through the Alpha Arcade Mode.

Not sure if this is a new thing or not, but Doll Cammy appeared in Stage 4 as a New Challenger. That was hella random. I’ve completed Alpha Arcade countless times and this has never happened once.

8 Likes

Wow capcom is realy putting effort on this,

We need more challengers like Evil Ryu, Shadow Lady, Violent Ken, Mech Zangief, Shadow, Cyber Akuma and Fallen Balrog.

It would be amazing if they cam integrate the Juni and Juli battle but that would be a tremendous work.

3 Likes

R: “Are you one of the Elder Gods?”
G: “Gods? I am above them. I am Harmony given flesh! I bring salvation to all!”
R: “Earthrealm is in no need of salvation, madman”

Something like this?

They’ve actually been updating arcade mode as new characters and costumes become available.

8 Likes

Where is my boss mode shin Bison for SF2/A/5? WHERE IS HEEEE?!!?

3 Likes

I never watched the Darkstalkers US cartoon, but I see now where Laura got her words from the last panel of that crossover comic

ll;

3 Likes

Will be cool if in SF3 path a New Challenger can be G with Story#15, as Q spiritual replacement :smiley:

Also sf2 Akuma should enter wrecking a low poli Bison, not after him

Also i wish we could unlock “Master Ryu” color, It will work perfect for sf3 arcade

Also in sf2 they should just give Ken Story#1 standard color, orange with green gloves feel eyesore af
I think Abigail stage by day remind more SF2 Ken one too

But for both i think solution will end up being nostalgia Ken Stage/Costume in next months… current sf2/3 solution scream purposely bad placeholder