The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

I thought TvC looked better than either MvC3 or MvC/I

2 Likes

I mean it wasn’t terrible and it was good at it’s time. It was a typo kinda bad english.

And yes I like it more than proto MVCi, yet I like MVC3 more not because of it’s better I just like the style as personal preference.

The comic back aesthetic worked perfectly for MVC3 and I like how the Capcom characters looked in it.

TVC was beautiful as well. If there’s a Capcom Vs game, I hope it has a similar artstyle 10x more powerful.

8 Likes

My only issue with MVC3 is the shading was a bit too dark on characters and some stages just make for poor visibility

6 Likes

The supposed to be cellshaded MVCI that @DoctrineDark posted before was better 10x if it was the thing that happened.

This one.

images%20(27)

8 Likes

I really feel like MVCI would’ve been better off if they went with that style for the game.

But we all know that wasn’t going to happen in this joint effort.

1 Like

Yuuuup. I actually got sad when those art pieces hit. They look so good by themselves and absolutely flawless compared with what we got. MvC was one of my favourite franchises, so to see it end like this has been painful. :frowning:

1 Like

If they just delayed atleast a year with taht and additional few characters like some Xmen it would had been a hit while they let DBFZ for awhile.

I don’t mind that kind of cellshading for SF6.

1 Like

Wow amazing. Are there anymore?

1 Like

This was pointed long ago.

It worked wìth Marvel Characters decent too, its not even looking so anime alike.

7 Likes

The Satsui no Hado Thanos concept art makes me sad. He was obviously supposed to be a battle at some point in the story.

4 Likes

8 Likes

This is FAR MORE INTERESTING than it could seem.
https://discourse-cdn-aws1.com/shoryuken/original/3X/0/f/0f9a7a9365d0f474c82513a1b7289d3e6de40109.jpeg
赤富士鬼人退治之圖 Akafuji kijin taiji no zu “Drawing of the demon extermination at red Mount Fuji”. This is linguistically complicated, as 鬼人 kijin (lit. “ogre man”) has a very broad meaning. It can mean a monster; an angry god; any spirit that walks the Creation (that comprises gods or the souls of the dead). Additionally, in Buddhism, it can mean any being with supernatural powers. They didn’t choose kijin at random: it’s very fitting for both Kage (a spirit, actually) and Gouki (a monster / man with powers / your choice, really).
The drawing references at least TWO well-known stamps: Hokusai’s Fine Wind, Clear Morning (ca. 1832), popularly known as Red Fuji,

and Utagawa Kuniyoshi’s triptych The Gojō Bridge (1839), depicting the first battle between Minamoto no Yoshitsune and the monk Benkei,

when Benkei couldn’t match Yoshitsune’s agility and speed (Yoshitsune is the one jumping). That means Gouki is going to win? Well, Kage is nowhere to be seen in SF3… :stuck_out_tongue:
Of interest is that Benkei survived and later became Yoshitsune’s faithful servant and bodyguard. Are they saying that Gouki finally tamed SNH and learned how to use it?

https://discourse-cdn-aws1.com/shoryuken/original/3X/c/3/c323c3a87a0aace97976011c4fa89353f706a373.jpeg
異種相撲興行之圖 Ishu zumō kōgyō no zu “Drawing of an exhibition of sumō against other martial arts”. This references, well, HOKUSAI MANGA, specifically one page about sumō (duh):

You can see the position of the two wrestlers at top right is exactly the same as Abigail and Honda.
Lol for V路上戦人 V rojō senjin, “Street Fighter V” in Old Japanese style…

19 Likes

Amazing insights Midgardstorm!!! Thank you.
Where is all these gems documented outside of this thread…?

1 Like

Cool, i got a bit of familiarity with them as fun it sound was first due Genji games lol :smiley:
I’ve read something more on wikipedia after see a Kuniyoshi exhibit here in Milan… the guy who did the bridge paint you posted, but i don’t remember if that specific one was there (maybe as replica)

Well, in theory Kage is essentially sentient negative ki that exist on spiritual level and “wish” (or better is pushed by it’s own nature) to affect material level through Ryu’s body… considering Ryu -finally- found a way to say him to fuck off, it could work him become part of Akuma’s ki… it could even be used as explanation for Oni’s look lol

But i doubt, we already seen Akuma dealing with Kage and pretty much rejected him on all leves
I think Kage’s end is what we seen here, with Ryu “detachment” from him

I think despite the sentient nature, to exist in our plan he needed Ryu as a bridge… Ryu cut that bridge and he just vanished from “real” world even as a spirit

I love see Honda there matching Abigail’s raw strenght with technique/position that make Abigail unable to full use his superiority , plus not knowing techniques from that siituation (still he pushed Honda near the edge of the ring)
Will like see Gief do the same

Is fun how despite being the strongest SFer we ever seen, there are possibly some characters able to outgrapple him in a wrestling match

A cool part of Abigail is that he’s not a good grappler (or even a good “fighter”) because literally he does’nt need it
Most of his style does’nt seem designed as a set of moves to face an equal treat, but as if we invented a set of moves to fight off midgets

Even Hugo fight the opponent as an adversary, Abigail just try to squash rats

Edit: LOL i just noticed Gief IS watchng the match! :smiley:

3 Likes

@Midgardsorm seriously are you just Brainiac disguising himself as a Shoryuken forums poster? How the hell do you know so much lol

9 Likes

Midgard is a goddamn gift to this thread and to Street Fighter fandom in general.

8 Likes

Did we ever find out how much of a success the Street Fighter novel with Takeshi Yano and Yusuke Murata was? I’d love a sequel and frankly, I think Street Fighter novels could be a nice touch to get some more focus on the fighters. I’d love a Shadaloo Origins novel based on this picture by Eric Huang

https://twitter.com/TrinketEric/status/1176110728496984069

There’ve been Resident Evil, Halo, and Doom novels, so I think a few takes on SF could be fun.

2 Likes

The first Emperor of Muay Thai was named Naukan. Sagat defeated him at a young age and claimed the title.

30th Anniversary dropping gems.

We need a pre-alpha SF game. Just all of the Super OG cast. Young Gen, this Naukan guy, Dan’s father etc. What was going on in the world before Street Fighter happened.

2 Likes

Nowhere, I think; and I don’t expect otherwise.

Damn Superman, he didn’t fall for it!
Seriously, I’m not. I swear. I only know something and how to use search engines and dictionaries. The secret is just being endlessly curious, that’s all. It’s not like I knew Ancient Egyptian when I wrote that examination of Menat’s moves: I just browsed Egyptian grammars and dictionaries.
In this case, I already knew about Hokusai’s first paint, immediately recognisable and even referenced in the title; then the bridge rang a bell and I googled “ukiyoe bridges” in Japanese… Et voilà. I left out many other details, like the maple leaves and several other ukiyoe about wrestlers… Anyway, thank you all for the appreciation.

Any SF grappler could outgrapple Abigail, let’s be honest. Strength can only do so much… then you’re screwed, if you don’t have the least notion of technique. Honda is SO going to utchari (sumō’s front suplex, used as a last resort when cornered) the hell out of him. Hell, from that position he could even lift him up, run all the way back and toss him out of the opposite side of the ring with his Iwato biraki, come on. If there’s any SF warrior that could seriously give a run for his money to Honda in a sumō match, that’s Zangief. Honda can’t outmuscle nor outwrestle him, and can only rely on his superior sumō experience (for example, Zangief is not accustomed to sumō rings and could inadvertently step out of it without even realising it).

Nuakan, actually. Referencing Muay Thai champion Buakaw.

1 Like