The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

It doesn’t need a reboot. It needs streamlining.

9 Likes

I agree.

A reboot would do wonders for the series…as long as Capcom manages to tell a coherent story with it.

I am 100% on board the SF reboot-train. Choo choo

Guilty Gear needs a reboot too because, my god, that story is an absolute mess

1 Like

The thing with a reboot probably can change character background, experience and also a chance to erase them out of existence in their universe.

I don’t mind a alternate SF universe with a different events that also say it is from a different parallel rather than a reboot that certainly replace the establish one.

Actually I fine with what Ryu is now in the current canon.

Both Bison and Akuma canon is doing great in SF4 both Akuma went messed up in SFV story while for Bison it’s kinda average but okay,

While Nash and Guile story was not underwhelming in SFV especially it’s Bison conclusion.

…then do that. Do EXACTLY that.

Yeah…I’m going to need you to go ahead and roll into a furnace. Thanks.

As long as that means I get the art style I want and “EVERYONE IS HERE!”, I’m 100% on board.

4 Likes

Xrd style is hella expensive though. Something about the way they do lighting and shadows iirc.

2 Likes

They should just go back to high 2d sprites aka blazblu cross tag

Yeah, well, the biggest fighting game franchise in the world should be able to afford it. The Capcom execs just need to stop being budget turds.

Besides, if you make a game that looks like THAT, you could reuse those models for, like, the next 20 years and nobody would even complain.

Make the SF6 models into the new “Alpha sprites” of Capcom fighting games. Except they’ll age much better than Alpha’s sprites did.

There’s really no reason any company that can afford to do otherwise should be doing that anymore. The only reason cross tag even does it is because it reuses sprites from a bunch of old games.

3 Likes

Street Fighter doesn’t make Capcom enough money to give it the budget your asking for. If it was making Resident Evil and Monster Hunter money Yea.

2 Likes

Seems like they cant afford to do otherwise. At least without making the game look like garbage

I like the Japanese OST more, I honestly really don’t like the sort of music seen in the US dub and the Japanese one fits the whole martial arts stuff with its more calm sound. Although I’d still watch the English version just because I’d rather watch something in a language I understand.

I could also be nostalgic towards the JP one. I first discovered it and the Giant Robo OVA in my early teens when I first had the internet in Arab subs and shoddy audio quality but the artstyle and fluidity is what really caught me on. It’s probably still one of the very few animated films I’d unironically watch.

Summary

SF2V is the better SF adaptation IMO

2 Likes

SFIV has sold over 8 million copies combined, V is approaching half of that as we speak. Sure, that’s not MHWorld’s 13 million copies total, but let’s not pretend SF is some poverty tier franchise

5 Likes

This all the way. We just need a tough, final push forward and then we can continue to be good from here on out. We’re just finally seeing a move past Shadaloo in a way that answers SF3’s “Where is ___”.

Bison’s temp dead, Shadaloo is finished on the world stage after a hardcore final rush, the Heavenly Kings have abandoned their old business, Balrog’s got character growth, Charlie and Guile finally met (even if I wasn’t satisfied), Chun got to see the institution that has haunted her go up in flames while having a new future in the form of Li-Fen, Ryu and Akuma have somewhat changed their standing with that little fight in storymode, Cammy’s got her sister’s back, a new force has emerged in that of G, etc.

We have all of that, yes, it’s been a messy past with SF, but with streamlining by way of a storymode prologue cutscene or gallery mode encyclopedia, we can clear up and define stuff that’s happened and then keep momentum and go forward.

What do we gain from a reboot? Whatever that may be, we’ll be seeing some of the “greatest hits” again. Even if they do change stuff, I don’t want to see characters at their start again so soon. Sagat still fuming from his loss to Ryu, Ryu questioning his path and what any of it means while struggling with the SNH, Akuma mysteriously hiding in the shadows, Sakura learning about Ryu and following his path, Bison gathering his forces and starting a plot to launch all of the plots, Guile and Chun Li trying to tackle the mystery of what really happened to their loved ones?

No thanks. The way I’d be happy to see this all again is in another medium, by way of novels or even an new animated series on Netflix or a new macro-series anime akin to the 90s 200+ episode heavyweights or in modern times, One Piece.

I think a reboot at this point does more damage than good. We’ve weathered the mountain, by go backwwards now? Keep on climbing.

15 Likes

Give this man a salute (and hugs!).

No reboots. Take me to the future!

6 Likes

If Guilty Gear makes ArcSys enough money to make Xrd, then Street Fighter makes Capcom enough money to make a SF like Xrd. Because SF makes more money than Guilty Gear.

4 Likes

My only issue with this art style is that in the fighting games arena, it has become the domain of ArcSys. For Capcom to go full anime or full photorealism, it would start following others lead and leaving its lane.

Currently, no fighter really looks like SF5 and SF5 (especially in good lighting) is still fantastic. I think another generation and refinement of this art style with a push further into anime aesthetic, better lighting and proportions but still retaining what makes it unique is likely next.

With Capcom’s interest in E-sports, it is imperative that everything happening on the screen is easy to understand to the laymen. ArcSys’s products simply do not have that quality because there is too much going on, and anime in general is a niche market.

The anime route is simply not as lucrative or adaptable, even though aesthetically it is superior and captures the SF spirit best.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s fair, because SF has been full anime before. Before Guilty Gear even existed.

Just because ArcSys “solved” the anime art style, shouldn’t disqualify SF from returning to an earlier style.

SF4 was our modern SF2. It’s time for us to get our modern SF Alpha.

Hard disagree…

Having an anime art style has nothing to do with that. SF Alpha and MvC2 have the same art style. One has that issue, the other doesn’t.

That much I agree with, as that style more or less makes alt costumes unfeasible.

Personally, I’d gladly sacrifice all of SF5’s ridiculous, clipping, floppy alt costumes for a better looking game.

3 Likes

Thanks for giving me a perfect reason to post the song. It was apparently super popular in Japan when it got released.

I would’ve posted the most recent remix from May’n but I couldn’t find it on YouTube.

5 Likes

Going cel-shaded doesn’t mean having to become a stricly worse Arksys. Cel-shading is just the technique but within it, the stylization can diverge a lot, Capcom can just use Nishimura style as the base and nobody would ever call them copycats.

The rough transition between frames that people describe as a slideshow is a deliberate effect they do to emulate old sprite games, but it’s merely a choice. Capcom animators (the best aspect about SFV look and the best of the business overall) can still do their magic with cel shaded models and the result would be reminiscent of those old awesome rotoscope animated movies or the 3S smooth style.

8 Likes

SFV’s visual problems aren’t from its art direction, Capcom just has this asinine policy of outsourcing as much of their FG production as possible because they don’t want to pay for employees. If they had a competent in-house team under a consistent style, and a pipeline that corrected model issues (hair clipping, Alex, etc.), SFV would look good.

2 Likes