The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Big thanks to @Pertho for the final edit to my ramblings about Honda.

On a less serious note, a thing I noticed only yesterday… in SFZ2, during Zangief’s ending, there’s a writing on his cottage while he’s wrestling a bear in a blizzard:

летняя дача letnjaja dača, “SUMMER DACHA :laughing: :laughing:

4 Likes

For the Honda thing just found

" Honda’s shikona for sumo is mentioned as “Fujinoyama.”"

Yes, but it’s unclear whether they were speaking about Honda OR HIS OPPONENT. “Fujinoyama” comes from Sodom’s SFZ2 ending; but don’t forget that, before Sodom interrupted his bout during the presentation of the contestants, Honda was about to wrestle another sumōtori. We hear only a name, then Sodom interrupts… I see the source for that seems to be All About Capcom Head-To-Head Fighting Game 1987-2000. Is there anyone with the scans? @Lord_Vega?

1 Like

You mean these?

8 Likes

Yet I’ll choose Kage more than Oni, Violent Ken or any version of Evil Ryu to return in-game for the sake of diversity and not making Ryu obsolete. Same thing that would end the whole Ryu conflict with SNH over and over instead of him being with MU.

Also from the recent topics that i wasn’t able to catch up. I don’t mind Oni with aerial Hadou replacing Akuma for sometime. I have also said it before.

New data have Sodom tall af, 208cm Is almost tall as Zangief

108kg Is ridicouls low old capcom style weight, but i guess if SFV get him, they will retcon it at least as 130/140kg (new weights are still low, but a bit more realistic)

Sticking to that he could/should be visibly bigger than Honda, when in old media was other way around… The alpha ending have unarmored Sodom being the smaller guy in theyr clash

PS: i will like if 208cm height count the samurai helm on as if Sodom count It as part of himself, real height being like 195cm, wich may fit with 108kg

Could be fun if they make Sodom so crazy to refuse the existence of his real not-japanese head like in that manga LOL
https://images.app.goo.gl/aWdFU5vsMLKvy83E7

In one back in the 1990s they had Dictator/Vega the same height as Claw/Barlog; both at 6’ 4"

Speaking of the Vega Figuarts and Sodom…

I present you the

Team Weeabo

[spoiler]of the non-Japanese ninjas and shit if the theme wasn’t obvious[/spoiler]

6 Likes

How is Kitana a weebo?

She’s an alien and she has the whole ninja/Asian aesthetic.

2 Likes

Considering that she and her people can live for several millennia who’s to say they didn’t influence Southeast Asia? I don’t think being from another realm makes her an alien.

My whole vacation week is more on team Ryu. I had opened copies before im glad I managed to get new in box.

Im glad hunting them personally rather than buying online because of the bootleg copies.

The sota, neca and playarts had bootlegs all over the amazon anand Ebay nowadays.

Yet this is my favorite of the hunt.

'-------

As for Sodom his fine with what he is no need to make him anything else or transformed something else. His already interesting and popular that stands out than any other final fight enemy.

No need to make him complicated or be the like of other character.

2 Likes

Can’t speak much for others but Vega is’nt a weeabo at all

Dude took the ninjutsu skills he needed, then sticked with his spanish/matador roots on cultural level

Example none of his SFV and SF4 alts showing particular fascination for japanese culture
He had one single japanese themed alt as concept for SF4, but even that did’nt made it
He had another with “ninja net-sleeves”, but even that was overall a very western design, with a lil ninja touch

On other hand
These guys are gigantic weeabos :smiley:

if we can switch japan fascination with china

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/kamelon04/status/1172875970514018304?s=20

2 Likes

I recall old western sources listing both M. Bison and Vega as 6’2 not 6’4, in fact I believe they also had Guile at 6’2.

1 Like

Wait what Geese a weebo? lol,

GEESE HOWARD?

people nowadays that claims to be internet authority… lol

Exactly, thank you. We have a conclusion: Fujinoyama is the name of Honda’s opponent, whom Sodom pushed away. The original Japanese has the gyōji (referee) saying:
行司「…にぃ~しぃ~~、ふじぃ~のぉ~やまぁ~~。ひがぁ~しぃ~~…!?」
Gyōji “…IN THE WEEEEST… FUUUJIIINOOYAMAAA! IN THE EAAAAAST…?!”
And then Sodom interrupts.
Now, since the referee in a sumō match is ALWAYS positioned in the South at the start of a match, we can infer the respective positions of the wrestlers, and Honda is to the referee’s right; therefore, Honda is East, and Fujinoyama is West. So, the widespread misconception (I’ve found it everywhere, from wikipedia to The Street Fighter Miscellany) that “Fujinoyama” is Honda’s shikona is to be corrected. The fault, however, lies… You guessed right, in the English translation of Sodom’s ending, that omits “East” and “West” (and completely invents Fujinoyama’s weight, by the way, listing him at 450 lbs when the original Japanese never mentions weights), making it impossible to identify who is who.
Further notes:

• Honda’s SF2 profile concludes saying なぜ名前が[エドモンド」なのかは永遠の謎。WHY HIS NAME IS “EDMOND” IS AN ETERNAL MYSTERY. As I said before, the version 江戸主水 edomondo “Lord of the Water of Edo”, that justifies his name as being Japanese after all, is a later retcon by Street Fighter Artworks Ha (2009), printed 9 years after All About Capcom Head-To-Head Fighting Game 1987-2000 (2000). It’s a VERY COOL retcon, anyway.
    • Honda’s SFZ2/SFZ2A profile notes 土俵上でもクマ取りは取らないようだが、相撲協会は何も言わないのだろうか… He seems to maintain his kumadori even on the ring, who knows if the Sumō Association won’t say anything… So the kabuki painting IS an issue, but Capcom (as usual) doesn’t explain. My guess is that the Sumō Association barely tolerates his antics only because he’s so strong, and has become the face of sumō so much that taking measures against him would cause a huge media backlash.
    • Sodom’s mangled Japanese using English words is hilarious, and the English translation completely misses the point. It’s to be noted, however, that {The Old Coke Factory??}is placed between braces, as if it were an unedited doubt of the translator (like, “WTF does that mean?”). It’s understandable that, given the time constraints, they weren’t able to identify the original Japanese “COKE GEAR CAN” as Sodom trying to say KOKUGIKAN… Because that’s what it is.
3 Likes

Shinkiro doing special cover for Hi-score girl.

6 Likes

So at the end, correct me if wrong:

• we can dismiss double-nationality

• “Edomondo” may be his sumo name (having a meaning) or real one (error translated/westernized as Edmond?)

• Honda being part of his real name

Lol as said it’s cool/fun this part… he want SO MUCH be at good heart positive for sumo, while sumo see him a bit as an embarassment… or at least as a “double edge weapon” situation

Can confirm really why he never reached Yokozuna rank, he can probably beat the fuck of any other sumo guy but he’s not “Yokozuna material” as he lack the moral qualities the rank imply

From what i understand Yokozuna is living example/embodiment of sumo values, should represent the highest example for others… wich may explain why that’s denied to Honda lol :smiley:

It can also explain his funny persona/SF2 stage, you expect a Yokozuna to be more serious/act with dignity

Geese is definitely a weebo. Being a badass doesn’t erase the fact that he is an American obsessed with Japanese culture.

Psylocke definitely not one. She’s a British woman in a Japanese body. Calling that weebo is reaching

Leo should get a pass. He’s a giant turtle. Depending on the series, his dad is a Japanese man.

3 Likes