The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

This is why i will ask vodoo gods to delay SF6 till 2037

Don’t hate me, blame RebelSoulGamer7 for this

I don’t really know how Capcom could help SFV short of killing it and using most of its visual assets in order to get the next game out quicker. More cosmetics isn’t going to do anything at this point, and a lot of the mechanical bullshit that drives people away is by design. A major system overhaul (I.e. Alpha 2 to Alpha 3) could work, but they have a lot of shit to do. They’ve already pulled out all their big guns (Sagat, Sakura, Kage), so more characters isn’t going to draw people in.

And that should be the goal if Capcom wants to keep this game going after 2020. They made the absolutely stupid decision of releasing the most profitable content after large numbers of people left; if they can actually collect a lot of those people who left between vanilla and now they can finally make good on their promise of a slow-growth model and not look like bumbling idiots.

I don’t know that they could change everything like going from A2 to A3. In the case of Alpha, they had Alpha 1 and 2. All three entries are really different games. In this case it’d turn SF5 into a completely different game altogether (which is something I’m against for a number of reasons).

1 Like

SFV is bungled from left to right and from launch onward. It’s unfortunate.

All that said, I just also don’t find the game that fun to play. The gameplan is VERY similar for every character and it’s not very engaging. Other peoples opinions can differ and that’s okay but I see a lot of major players making similar points or just being turned off by the game in general.

Also, for me, the single player content is just super lacking, ultra grindy and, all-things considered, a part of an overall ugly UGLY game

2 Likes

Ironically, the general visuals are one of the few things Capcom managed to get right. As comedic as some of the faces are (and there is NO fucking excuse for Ken’s hair to clip on character select), the game is at least reasonable to look at, might even be fun to watch if the matches weren’t so damn dull most of the time.

Capcom just kinda went all in on frame traps and gimped the hit boxes to compensate. It’s like half the cast is trying to be SF4 Cody, and the other half is Cody trying to impersonate a different character. I mean, for Bengus’ sake, even CODY is trying to copy Haggar in his costume.

And in Capcom’s defense for once, single player in FGs is hard as hell. Either your opponents are dumb as shit and there’s no stakes or it’s a dirty cheating KoF boss and most people give up. Soul Calibur 2 probably took the best approach by creating a long and varied campaign. But even this is hard because it’s a huge investment in resources that modern devs would rather put into squeezing a few more characters in.

1 Like

1 Like

This is where you and I may disagree, as I’m perfectly fine with a jump like A2 > A3. In my mind, the Alpha games are upgrades of one another similar to the other numbered entries in the franchise.

For example:

Alpha = New Generation
Alpha 2 = 2I
Alpha 3 = 3S

We all have preferences, and probably the next iteration of SF5 won’t be as dramatic as A2 > A3, but I think it is healthy to make such jumps in the lifecycle of a numbered entry intended for an audience for at least half a decade.

1 Like

To be honest i think you overstimate my fucks given about draw new people in at this (or any) point of SFV life
These extra characters will be for ME, from my personal point of view :smiley:
At this point is mostly about who is (still) on this ship and who is’nt/left

Being part of former group i’m absolutely in favor of capcom keep adding more or less useful new stuff to enrich to any level the product i like and i’m still consuming (SFV), and not only i’m not hungry for SF6 at the moment, but i will live it as something negative if his existence will steal resources from potential SFV new stuff

They did fuckton of crap decisions on so many levels, i agree
But again that’s theyr problem, not mine

I don’t know if i wish they were smarter though, smart marketing these days create things i don’t necessary like

I think they will be smarter for SF6, wich to me is’nt a positive thought lol

Getting people back will drastically raise the chances of S5 and even S6, which I doubt anyone here would argue against.

Like, my honest prediction for EVO is two characters, a stage, and mention of a 4th character in S4 later on. Anything less and people will start to wonder what the hell they were doing for this long. And of those two, at least one is going to be Fei Long/Honda/Rose with their stage.

And speaking of which, to finally get this thread back on the damn story, what do we know about the current location of the SF4 characters who didn’t return?

1 Like

lol
You don’t think people will start to wonder wtf was Capcom been doing for the past 8-9 months if all they were hyping up is a couple of characters and stages?

1 Like

Ono wasn’t really saying anything other than…

“You want characters… okay I will ask them.”

Something like that. The only hype was just recnt like preparing for august reveal.

I’m also okay with that kind of iterative sequel, but not from SF5.

I want them to “solve” their art style issue in a game first. THEN they’re allowed to spend 10 years making “sequels” that are just the old game with more stuff in it.

They make a SF game that looks as good as Xrd or DBFZ, they can turn that game into a 2, 3, 4, 5, infinity for all I care.

1 Like

They won’t make a SF game that looks like Xrd. They didn’t do it before, and they sure as hell won’t do it when Arc has already mastered the style. I think the inevitable direction for the series is a heavily upscaled SFV/SF4 with a bit of Tekken’s pseudorealism in the hair and cloth details.

I do think Capcom would be willing to use more experimental visuals with something like Rival Schools or Darkstalkers, but for SF they have a clear goal and the current style will simply be iterated on.

2 Likes

People talking about jumps from A2 to A3…

Uhhh…we’re aware that A2 and A3 are separate games right? They weren’t Turbo to Super Turbo. They were a full sequel.

If we’re getting that big of a change it’s gotta be SF6…not SF5:A3

1 Like

3S was a sequel to 2I. Doesn’t mean it was a new numbered entry. Upgrades/revisions in the franchise came in different shapes and sizes. But a true sequel such as SF4 or SF5 was always unmistakable.

So most of you guys are okay with a game that used “SFV resources” but had different gameplay?

And yet, Samurai Shodown looks exactly like SF4.

The idea that they shouldn’t do something because someone else already did it better is ridiculous.

Dude, they’re really not.

They’re Street Fighter Zero, version 2 and version 3. Yes, Alpha 3 adds more than the usual Super-style update, but that’s still what it is. They took the previous version, added more characters, and tweaked the mechanics.

Refer back to this post.

4 Likes

Tbh i think it’s one of the two paths they can have chosen

A- BIG move and release all 5 (as sadly going by SFV site kagecrap is S4) characters left all at once along with new stuff (like CA2 etc), declaring the birth of SSFV

B- The 2 characters cookie+some candies (stages/alts), then the announcement shit is becomig less dead and we will see updates in upcoming months… like 2 at evo, 1 sept,1 oct, 1 nov, Dec getting first of S5+big dec patch

1 Like

After few weeks took again the SF4vsSFV thing where i left it

Added some darker layers, refined some things and did other stuff
Now i guess i’m at 80/90%

preview (click 2 times for full size)

10 Likes

And I hope SF won’t be like project DB ot something like Jump force just fo have an anime vibe but still in a realistic sense. It was meh and not something to be thought as an innovation.

The problem is Capcom wouldn’t probably do anime because of saturation on the market so that they would visually standout.