The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Plus Psycho Crusher and PP on general at first was much more luminous and associated with light

Dark purple energy arrived much later

So i understand the brightest star thing
Plus SF2 age was full HnK trip and in HnK stars had big symbolic importance

Still i much prefer “Vega” for the spanish guy

History and Etymology for Vega

Noun

borrowed from Medieval Latin Wega, Vega , altered from the terminal syllables of Arabic al-nasr al-wāqiʽ , literally, “the descending eagle,” originally a name applied to the three stars α, β and γ Lyrae

Descending Eagle definitely fits the guy that goes around wall diving.

4 Likes

Dictator also flies in the air and descends upon people’s heads, and what not. :confused:

1 Like

Even more fitting, considering the Vega part only comes from the original Arabic واقِع wāqiʻ “falling”. The eagle part, نَسْر nasr, was left out.

4 Likes

And Vega’s a star that’s burning so bright it’ll burn through its body 10x faster than our sun will… but I guess, when reading about it all, it’d be easy to shoehorn just anything into it. It’s a neat distraction though, and potentially a fun detail, but… I honestly think whatever we read into it’ll be just some happy coincidence. Such as this post :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah yes, Grendizer. I remember when there were only VHS tapes and I managed to watch like 4 episodes of it. Robots were so popular in latin american countries so long ago that I bet Pertho knows about them

1 Like

So which is majority of you guys prefered name Vega or Bison?

What makes the other name better than the other? In your opinion.

Well apparently Daemos is consulting the necronomicon so he can seance all the reasons why Vega is a better fit for Dictator and then let the thread know.

Because god forbid the guy from Spain have a Spanish name. We sure as hell wouldn’t want that. :joy:

6 Likes

I’m partial to Bison as his name because I’m used to it and Vega is a perfect name for the Spanish ninja. I would not AT ALL have been adverse to Balrog staying Mike Bison and Dictator being Balrog, however. Balrog is an AWESOME name for a demon of a man and would be a really cool counterpart to “Akuma” later on with one being a western demon and the other being eastern.

10 Likes

Hot take:

• Dictator should be Balrog since that’s the name of the demon from Lord of the Rings
  • Boxer should be Vega since his stage is in Las Vegas
  • Claw’s full name should be Miguel Bison since he’s a bullfighter and Bison is a type of bovine

Makes about as much sense as the other 2 options, I just don’t have a specific localization to cherry pick from for validation.

2 Likes

Yeah guys Balrog was a missed opportunity.

Nice haha

I laughed out loud. <3

In an ideal setting given everything we know now, Balrog should’ve been Dictator’s name and Vega should’ve been Claw’s, with Boxer’s unchanged. We almost all agree to this. We can also all agree at the very least that “M.Bison” as a name doesn’t suit Dictator best.

However, when the Japanese forged these characters from their various inspirations, Vega who took cues from Fist of the Northstar was a more than suitable name for Dictator. This decision after all happened long before the premise of Bison being demonic, extra-dimensional, immortal, or a moustache twirling style villain were introduced.

It is his name for all intents and purposes, as the Japanese authors/developers are the ultimate and undisputed source of canon regardless of our personal feelings.

This is subjective obviously. To me, the way the Japanese pronounce “BEGA-SAMA!” is pretty imposing. More so than “BARUROGU”. In English however, Vega suits Claw better phonetically.

In all this mess, i’m just glad they did’nt gave Dictator an asian/japanese name*, or will have been stuck with early-sf2 asian Bison forever lol
:smiley:

*keep in mind prototype name was “Washizaki”, after Washizaki manga character

Btw the main problem of Dictator as M.Bison Is that it never evolved into Lord Bison

“Lord Bison” sound badass as you can get

On general Is the “M.” to ruin It the most

Lord Bison > Master Bison > M.Bison

1 Like

I just find it hilarious that due to potential legal issues and Capcom scrambling to change up the names of Bison, Vega and Balrog in the west - Bison’s first name is basically Mike since that was supposed to be Boxer’s name (as he’s inspired/based on Mike Tyson)

Unless there are official sources that confirm what M actually stands (though general consensus seems to be it’s Master)

1 Like

To me, Bison will always be Bison.

1 Like

That’s not the case, the “M” only stands for Mike for Japan (referring to the boxer); For the dictator the “M” doesn’t have a meaning. I swear years ago I read some statement by CapUSA saying the “M” was “part of the mystery of the character (dictator)”. And I actually dig that, it seems I am in the minority here but “M. Bison” said it out loud has an imposing / self important ring to it that at least in my mind fits dictator and his Bond like villain nature, either that or I’m just used to it after almost 30 years :sweat_smile:.

3 Likes

Wont happen, but it’d be cool if M.Bison ended uo being native american. So he has all this spiritual energy already that he later learned how to use better and then turned into paycho power.

Would make the name fit.

Also fuck me I’m in this nerd cosplay vortex again.

@Pertho

Oh man, I’ve been gone for a bit and there’s been so much great discussion, nice guys, keep it up! [quote=“PVL_93_RU, post:3033, topic:586509, full:true”]
I just find it hilarious that due to potential legal issues and Capcom scrambling to change up the names of Bison, Vega and Balrog in the west - Bison’s first name is basically Mike since that was supposed to be Boxer’s name (as he’s inspired/based on Mike Tyson)

Unless there are official sources that confirm what M actually stands (though general consensus seems to be it’s Master)
[/quote]

When I was younger, at some point I thought he could be Russian, so I had thought his name could have been Mikhail, but then comes the problem that Bison is not even close to sounding Russian hah, so I stopped thinking about that for a while.

While I like many of the points that’ve been mentioned, such as how cool and fitting Balrog would have been for his name, I’m so used to M. Bison that it would be weird to depart from that for me. It just has this musicality in my head and the mystery of the M, as you said was part of the fun of wondering.

??? So? I mean, if you find it fun, just have fun. No need to front. Look how much stuff there is to read up on and enjoy.