The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Hopefully you get lucky soon, I got mine early 2018 btw so generally I was also late to the party.

2 Likes

Much appreciated, man. I hope luck can send me a copy for sale at a somewhat reasonable price! I know there are some English scans out there somewhere, so I’ll be on the lookout for both those and a cheaper copy.

I wanted Haggar to replace gief for awhile or them having alterating in every sf future games and atleast have one title that both of them are together

5 Likes

It’s a travesty the Haggar has still never been playable in a SF game.

13 Likes

NEVER. Zangief is one of the characters Capcom should never leave out of a SF title.

Now THAT is a reasonable request.

I know, right? I mean, Ryu and Ken were THE SAME for ages and nobody complained. They spawned a whole set of clones and still everything is fine. Haggar and Zangief play nothing alike and yet every time a grappler makes it in SF everyone is crying “waah waah tuh many grapplers”. Apparently, a friendly rivalry is fine as long as you punch your opponents instead of throwing them…

4 Likes

There’s scans of the rest of volume 1? All I ever seem to find are the first two chapters online.

I mean for just several titles. Not saying it’s the right thing but just a personal preference. Haggar just need some break in SF too. I mean alternating not retire him.

For me like I said before Gief is more like Clark and Haggar a the Ralf of the duo.

He was already retired in SF3, quite succesfully I might add (considering the grappler role was taken by two great characters, Alex and Hugo). Considering he was in Marvel 2, I’d say the fact Haggar has taken his spot in Marvel 3 and Infinite also counts. All in all, I think he missed out on enough games. He’s the staple grappler and one of the characters every SF roster should start with.

For reference, here’s who I think that list is comprised of:

Ryu - main male character
Ken - main rival
Chun-Li - main female character
Zangief - main grappler
Guile - main zoner
Vega - easiest reccuring villain

I dont think Vega should be in every game, and I actually like him. Gief and Guile can work as DLC but dont have to be in the launch roster.

3 Likes

My personal opinion is that a fighting game should never abandon its roster from the first entry

Everybody else is up in the air and is a nice bonus

1 Like

Yeah, I never got that. If I was designing Haggar, I’d play more with the fact that his main claim to fame was heroically crippling thugs outside the ring. Get more of that Street Fighting and grittiness in his moves and mix with the wrestling. You don’t have to make him resemble his MvCI counterpart at all. Off the top of my head, I can see him having some chain moves like Raiden did in CvS, some non grapple moves too like an Axe handle and his clothesline having different properties than Gief’s, traditional spinning clothesline ending with an uppercut-like manuever that maybe knocks the opponent upwards as set ups for combos.

On the subject of differentiating similar / clone characters, I got inspired and the other day wrote up a small scene between G & Q, but after that I got to thinking on how I’d differentiate them if tasked with making G & Q share a character slot, but had to make some notable differences.

Q as an EX character:

• First, I’d make him more viable than SF3, his sloppiness and hindered movements can come through his animations without making his priorities so bad hah
  • Crank up the aesthetic differences: show him straining, frustrated, or sorrowful after some moves rather than G’s energetic dancing. Instead of gold and fire, have rocks and dust kicking up to represent his raw strength and durability. Change his intro and win poses and give him a new CA
  • Make him an unstoppable, but clumsy juggernaut while G is the flashy, agile magical blasting guy. Q should have strong, steady, honest and direct moves.

Just rambling, but I think there’s a lot you can do to show G as the Master/Sensei and Q as the inferior puppet, incomplete student.

No SF game should come out with out the original 8 World Warriors.

My personal opinion is that every fighting game should be doing EVERYONE IS HERE! every time!

3 Likes

There were scans of Volume 2 in enlgish at one point in the Internet’s history, I know that because I’ve seen English panels.

I have the Japanese scans of Volume 1 and 2 (I truly do admire the art and fight scenes). I have my physical copy of Volume 1 but my desire for a full on translated context for volume 2 only grows by the day, lol.

In recent times, yes, I’ve only seen chapters 1 and 2 online.

I don’t think we need the original 8 every game per se, but they do cover a lot of ground in playstyle and design that games without them can feel lacking in (ex. Zoners in the original versions of SF3/SFV). If you’re going to make a SF game without Dhalsim, you need a clear analogue to what he brings to the game.

9 Likes

As much as I’d like to agree with this sentiment, as I see where it comes from… there’s a ton of SF characters I’d like to be guaranteed in before people like Dhalsim and Blanka.

Though of course I think you’re the only person who wants all Street Fighters in one game even more than I do, so if it were up to us everyone would be in, if not from the start, at least at the end of the game’s cycle.

2 Likes

For the main that should be recurring along with the iconic…

Chun li- Pop culture female icon
Bison - can be a side character like in SF4 not main baddie but influences behind the scene.

edit: having problems with a different mobile auto edit

Sometimes I just want NRS to just borrowed SF IP just for the SF the movie game.

So Raul Julia , JDV and Kylie Minogue can be in the game or have them as guest characters as a parody tribute version with a different name but has the strong color palette resemblance along with the iconic moveset of the characters they played which are Bison, Guile and Cammy.

With a plot of Raul Julia being a futuristic wizard in a different parallel

And JDV and Kylie as the two interdimensional Cop (another JDV film like time cop or something like The one in concept) task to hunt down Raul Julia character.

Guesting them with the Iconic film Shang Tsung is a what a time to be alive moment

1 Like

Agreed. It’s why I wish more fighting games did the, BlazBlue thing of “Well, we’re just going to make the same game for 10 years. Occasionally, we’ll say it’s a new game, but really it’s just the old game with more characters in it.”

Especially now that Xrd has “solved” graphics forever.

2 Likes

Nah, that’s forcing stagnation, any FG should be let to evolve with time, cutting out characters that become obsolete and age badly while establishing newcomers that turned to be better. Not saying to throw the good ones in the trash bin like SF3 or Soulcalibur 5, the key word is evolution.

By that logic, KoF would be forced to feature the Sports team in every single game and also have Rugal as the villain, would have gotten old and dull very fast. Or Tekken including Ganryu and Wang every game, or Fatal Fury with Hwa Jai or Duck King, etc.

Of SF2, the only ones I feel are obligatory are Ryu, Ken, Guile, Chun, Cammy, Zangief and Dhalsim. T. Hawk, Dee Jay, Blanka, Balrog and Honda should be retired forever. 2 more could appear as DLC every now and then.

SF6 could appeal to nostalgia while pulling a never seen before by offering a Final Fight big cast (Guy, Haggar, Cody, Poison, Maki, Sodom, Rolento, Hugo).

3 Likes

Ken, Guile and Cammy can also be in the bench for sometime.

Chun li and Ryu are the most nowadays.

Haggar, Sodom, Maki, Eagle are the cast that I really want to see return.

Sometime I did like Alpha Nash and Haggar to be the main since they are more broad in possibilities compare to the original and known characters they were inspired with or have been a popular entry to the series.

2 Likes