The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

It’s the Ono effect.
It’s amazing how one man can completely change the tone of the franchise.

1 Like

Well I still prefer SF designs/new character concepts than Tekken’s new designs/character concepts.

Tekken’s are just so boring. I liked I think there was a new lady with a tiger, that was cool, but for the most part… BOOORING. Looking every time more like fashion models than fighters.

1 Like

All the wackiness you all blame the SF series for was already present in all of the animes and mangas Capcom stole everything from. It doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. I mean, Riki-Oh was atrociously illogical, but who cares as long as it gave us Bison’s model… Too bad it already had GILL’s model AS WELL.

Say hello to Nachi, brother of Riki. Gill has his same idiot hair; his same god complex; his same “secretly bad guy all along” aura (here he has already revealed himself, but earlier in the manga he was a MIRACULOUS HEALER hailed as a divinity) and his same brother rivalry shenanigans going on. If you wondered where Gill got his hair from, that’s him… only not blonde.

I can understand everyone has his own limit of what is acceptable and where things start to become stupid, but ultimately I think this enormous variety is exactly what saved SF from the extreme boredom that would’ve been a MK style… or even a KOF style, for that matter.

See you later with Chun-Li’s backstage story from SFZ3.

10 Likes

Going back to MK and SF style comparison… back in the day where there was SF2 and MK2, before both series styles became more complex and designed… I would say there could very well have been a crossover between MK and SF.
In matters of characters design, the characters from both games were mostly simple, contained, compatible (with a few exceptions) and reached iconic status. I mean, it’s obvious which company had the (vastly) superior designs… but you could make a SF2 vs MK1-2 concept crossover and it wouldn’t be as hard as nowadays is.

Did I see someone bashing Dee Jay’s design??

Dee Jay looks good, plays well and is inspired by a real martial arts person…

He takes a hot steaming dump on Gill and MANY other designs.

5 Likes

@bakfromon @Lord_Vega @Chun-Li_Forever Here we are.

Ryu’s SFZ3 revised scenario backstory
Ken’s SFZ3 revised scenario backstory
Preliminary notes: the Chinese names are all in pinyin, except the well-known form 功夫 kung-fu - which should be 功夫 gōngfu in correct pinyin. 太极拳 Tàijíquán is a borderline example, because even though it was more known as T’aichichuan and variations, the pinyin form has gained more exposition in recent years. After all, even “Chun-Li” should be 春麗 Chùnlí.

ICPO Special Investigator (super exception). She is pursuing the organisation Shadaloo, suspected of drug and weapons smuggling. She has added her personal variations to the Chinese Kung Fu her father taught her; her father has recently disappeared.

Fighting Style

The core of the style she developed is composed by jumps and kicks, making use of her powerful legs. Her muscles and sense of balance are extremely developed, thus she can unleash repeated kicks one after another without losing her centre of gravity.
She has learnt many styles of kung-fu to establish her current style, and the influence of chángquán¹ (a kung-fu style of Northern China) can be seen in her leaping “Èrqǐjiǎo”².

Fashion Style

Maybe she uses so much her sportswear and shoes because they’re suitable for a detective work. Simple and functional, yet enhancing the beauty of her legs. Sometimes she changes it with a magnificent Chinese dress, maybe showing a slight tendency to shift towards street fighting.

Writings and signs
1 - That’s Double Happiness, a traditional Chinese decoration symbol composed of two 喜 “joy”, often written as a ligature 囍 shuāngxǐ. It’s associated with marriage.

2 - 師傅 shīfu , “master”. The typical way to address a martial arts master in China.

Chítáng Plaza³ [China]

Chítáng³ plaza - that spot in the public park where every morning people gather to practice tàijíquán routines. Chun-Li’s house lies in those neighbourhood. The plaza is one of the places where she, every early morning after her training, comes to get some rest.
Chun-Li loved to watch people calmly moving along the sequences of tàijíquán.
She used to shed a tear thinking about her disappeared father, but in that park she could at least smell his “scent”. That sensation alone was enough to calm her, more than anything.
“Heh… Who would believe I hated tàijí, when I was little…”
While she was pondering that, she casually saw a little boy who was looking around; Chun-Li immediately noticed he seemed scared.
“What’s happening, kid?”
Chun-Li had walked to his place and was leaning over him, speaking in a gentle tone.
“Ma’am⁴…”, replied the boy with tears in his eyes.
“It’s not ma’am, isn’t it? You wanted to say ‘miss’, didn’t you?” replied Chun-Li, laughing.
“Mis… s…”
“What happened? Where are your parents?”
“They’ve… disappeared…”, said the boy, on the brink of tears.
“Disappeared? Don’t worry. I’ll help you. We’ll find them in no time”, aswered Chun-Li just to relieve him.
“Really…?”
“Yes, really.”
This time she was clearly confident.
She had been taught how to handle children. But even if she weren’t, children were her specialty anyway.
“Ok, let’s go find them!”
She grabbed the boy’s hand, and the moment she started to walk,
“Li Fei! Li Feeeei!”
she heard two voices: a man and a woman, presumably a young couple, coming running from behind. They were obviously the boy… Well, Li Fei’s parents.
“Are you this boy’s parents? Be sure not to take your eyes off a child so young.”
“S - Sure… And you are?”
“A police officer… More or less.”
Chun-Li showed her police ID card.
“W - Well, I see. Thank you so much!”
The parents bowed deeply.
“Oh no, it was… Nothing, really. You have a lovely kid.”
“Not at all! He’s so naughty… Today he said that tàijíquán is uncool and he won’t do the exercises!”, laughed the mother.
“That’s too bad, Li Fei! You should train your kung-fu!” Chun-Li scolded the boy while poking him in the forehead. She bid farewell to the family and murmured to herself.
“So should I… I can’t give in!”

¹ Japanese 長拳 chōken, “long fist”. A family of Northern styles that focuses on attacks and is renowned for its acrobatic kicks. In Japan, it’s often lumped together with Tàijíquán in public exhibitions and competitions.
² Japanese 二起脚 nikikyaku, “two rising feet”. Chun-Li’s diagonal jump HK in SF2 and SFZ series, a bicycle kick indeed. The same name was then used for Yun and Yang’s diagonal jump HK, when Chun-Li changed kick in SF3, IV and V.
³ The original is in katakana, チータン Chiitan , so we can’t be sure of the intended Chinese. The most widespread transliteration is Zhidan, that would be the Chinese 志丹 Zhìdān, a county in Shaanxi, but that’s only because it’s the first meaning the online Japanese dictionary Kotobank gives; thus ended in the Old Plot Guide and spread in the net. It could be 池塘 chítáng, “pond”, or 鶏蛋 jīdàn, “chicken egg” and so on. I strongly suspect that Capcom actually intended 池塘 chítáng “pond”, because there’s evidence Capcom actually used The Naming Dictionary instead of Kotobank, where chiitan is indeed the katakana reading of the Chinese “pond”. They took a very rare Ancient Greek word for Cammy’s backstory which is found (amongst Japanese dictionaries) only in the Naming Dictionary… and spread itself in Japan because many firms used the aforementioned dictionary as a brand name for other things. More details in the Cammy article. Anyway, please be aware that, as much as I researched all of that thoroughly, I can be completely wrong and the correct name could be Zhìdān, or Jīdàn…
⁴ Original オバチャン obachan, “aunt”, commonly used by children to address a woman more or less the age of their moms. Chun-Li corrects the boy with オネエサン oneesan , “big sis”, because she’s obviously not so much older!

Next: Cammy

8 Likes

What about this? Glass Joe’s only win was against Mike Tyson!!!

Well, I remember once I checked and about 90% of the pre-SFIV Supermoves involve spinning of some sorts.

Another argument against (?) the “EVERYONE IS HERE” approach is that we just had an “Arcade/Story mode” featuring chapters of every Street Fighter entry, supposedly telling the story of each chapter.
Shouldn’t we have that again now that everyone is back into the roster, to do it more properly?

Unless Street Fighter VI… probably reuses the assets of SFV? I mean, the 3D models are ok, but gameplay is drastically different to the other Street Fighter games. So many characters would be hard to adapt…

I don’t think they would ever repeat that Arcade Mode format every again, to be true.

Cool! Thanks a lot! I wasn’t expecting it! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
I found where Sari measurements came from: All About Street Fighter Zero 2.

And from what I can see, they imply here that there’s a 6 year gap between SF1 and SF2 just like it’s mentioned in Sagat’s section. Otherwise, they would have mentioned him being so young and able to write/read.

And nothing about his age even here. BTW, WTH is about those 2 crossover titles? They seem to be a total mess in terms of chronology. Funny that Sari is called “his wife” in Dhalsim’s ending. LOL.

I see, I’ll correct that.

LOOOOOL!!! Chun-Li did the same thing with Rose on her SFZ1-2 exclusive winning quote to her:

I think the translation is something like: “That was a fine lesson, auntie!”

Sigh! Capcom can’t come up with a more creative name? Li Fei is the name of the boy here. One year later Capcom would come up with a nameless girl as Chun-Li’s kidnapped student. Then in 2016, they named such girl… Li-Fen.

By the way, from now on, can I ask you to also translate the left page (including the Ryu and Ken)? The one with Profile, Birth Place, Special Skill, Likes, Dislikes, Fighting Style and Fashion Style? So that the AASFZ3 part gets complete.

BTW, I’m adding those pieces to the guide.

I already have Cammy’s translation from AASFZ3. Would you like me to post it and you just correct it like we did with the charts?

LOL! The look on Tyson’s face after the first puch was hilarious.

3 Likes

I told you. You can’t trust Capcom when it comes to chronology, come on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, it is. :laughing:

Uh… I could, but that’d be more time-consuming and mostly pointless, as the interesting part is always the story on the right, let’s be honest. We already know the measurements, and “fashion style” is a description of what the characters wear… I mean, we’re seeing that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hang on, how many of these do you already have? So I can avoid the doubles… Go ahead, I’ve just found two things about that stage. :smile:

Yeah, I know, but those two… it REALLY takes the cake. I always thought that MSH VS SF was an expanded version of X-Men VS SF. But the thing is total mess! :face_vomiting:

Okay. :disappointed_relieved:

Cammy, Rose, Vega/Bison, Juni and Juli (they have the same story).
Cammy’s have some things that the translator wasn’t sure about, like the name of the beach and the name of the murdered man.

1 Like

All About Street Fighter Zero 3 - Cammy

Member of Vega’s personal guard. By his direct order, she became responsible for collecting fighting data. But, it seems that her existence has a greater significance for Vega and Shadaloo.

Fighting Style
Her basic fighting style is to keep the opponent from a distance using fast leg strokes until finding an opening so she can deliver a sharp blow. Despite her small body frame, it has a great fighting ability, since her muscle strength and neurological reflexes were artificially enhanced. Her specialty are attacks that use the legs. The elasticity of her body could be compared to the body of a gymnast, which allows to perform acrobatic moves.

Fashion Style
The uniform is given by the organization and its design is extremely cold and impersonal. It is a swimsuit that, despite being very light, has high performance and protects the neck’s vital point. To prevent injuries during violent combat, uses a large protector on the forearm and shoulder pads embedded. The arm band attached to the upper arm shows that she’s part of the Vega’s personal guard.

Mykonos Island (Greece)
“As usual, we will begin the reports meeting.”
In a dark room equipped with an eighty-inch projection screen, a tall man wearing glasses begins to read the documents in his hands.
In the room, about ten people hear his words carefully.
“This investigation was carried out in Greece, where, as you know, is the holiday resort’s Prime Minister from Muwajik Republic - Mr. Guihad. This image was captured on the Kyuanoeides (Kalafatis?) beach, located at the southeast of Mykonos Island.”
The video shows a completely blue sky and a fine white sand beach.
“It was on this beach, at daylight, that the murder of Guihad recently happened. The case is being reported as an heart attack. But as you can see…”
The image moves. At the center of the screen, you can see a little girl playing in the sand. Apparently, Guihad’s wife was filming their daughter.
Behind her, a very small image of a man sitting on a beach chair can be seen. It’s Guihad.
The focus of the camera isn’t him. So he goes in and out of the frame. Until then, there’s no suspicious movement.
“Here!”
The image freezes and is rewinded a bit. At the edge of the frame, you can see something crossing horizontally, similar to a piece of fabric. A second later, the chair were Guihad is sitting begins to fall slowly. Until this point, his wife, who was doing the shooting at a distance, have not realized what was happening.
The child’s cries of joy can still be heard.
“It seems unbelievable, but it was during those very few seconds that a powerful poison with ultra-fast effect was injected into Guihad. No physical evidence was found at the incident scene.”
The wife realizes what is happening and immediately drops the camera on the floor and run towards her husband.
The image freezes at this point.
“For a year, there were several mysterious murders like this from all over the world. I also would like you all to see this…”
The following projection was a picture of a young woman. Full body, front, side and back.
It seems to be an Asian teenager.
“This girl was aboard the boat that shipwrecked and was captured 150Km south of Tonsha archipelago. In the same boat there were 38 more orientals, including Chinese, but all dead. This young girl was rescued in a state of profound malnutrition, and 55 hours after the rescue, she died. The most surprising thing is that it was found in her body, a huge amount of anabolic steroids, tranquilizers and other hormones composed by unidentified elements. Her bone and muscle development is completely abnormal. The only thing that has been proved is that this was not due to illnesses or congenital problems. There was absolutely nothing found that could contribute to the identification of the youngling. The number of injections spots on both legs and arms, the lack of memory, all evidence fits perfectly to the characteristics of an ‘enhanced body’, reported on other occasions.”
“Which means…?” - Questions one of the participants.
“If we consider the possibility of an important connection between these two cases, it is important to review the whole inquiry and I would like that the strengthen of the investigation department is urgently thought. I believe this is a key step to approach the organization known as ‘Shadaloo’.”

NOTE: The bolded parts are names that the translator wasn’t sure if they are translated right.

4 Likes

I mean…that would be one way to do it I guess. But GOD I hate the way SF5 looks. And it’s only going to look worse with time.

Compare that to how GG Xrd looks, which was pretty much the best looking fighting game, if not one of the best looking video games period, at the time it came out. And looks just as good now, a generation later, than it did then…

If SF6 could just capture that kind of aesthetic, then they could spend the next 10 years working their way up to having everyone.

I dunno why not. There’s VERY little actual work that went into making that mode. It’s basically just a single page of art for each character, per game. And, yeah, that’s a few hundred pages total but…that’s not that big a deal.

3 Likes

I’m down for recycling V’s assets, completely changing the gameplay and then adding the rest of the guys.

1 Like

Complete bullshit. Everyone knows Gill is based on Judah from Hokuto no Ken.

The guy you posted looks more like Necalli.

Yeah, Gill’s THONG is based upon Yuda’s. Too bad there’s nothing else in common between them. Go give “complete bullshit” to someone else, thank you.

2 Likes

His face and hair too. Your guy’s hair looks nothing like Gill.

Yuda = Vega/Claw

Oh, so Yuda’s hair magically floats in air? No, and you’d know that if you actually knew HNK and didn’t simply take a pic from fightingstreet. Of course Capcom didn’t stealTAKE INSPIRATION from a single source, come on. Yuda’s face and hairstyle match better, but Gill’s hair floats like Nachi’s; and that’s excluding all the other backstory details, that Yuda doesn’t share with Gill - if anything, Yuda’s envy for Rei is better reflected in URIEN’s envy for Gill. The mix is obvious, and implying a Capcom character is a mere copypaste of another single character is the true bullshit (except for SF1, when things were simpler).

1 Like

Yes it does.

Necalli’s too, have you seen his supersaiyan transformation?