The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Yeah, I never got that. If I was designing Haggar, I’d play more with the fact that his main claim to fame was heroically crippling thugs outside the ring. Get more of that Street Fighting and grittiness in his moves and mix with the wrestling. You don’t have to make him resemble his MvCI counterpart at all. Off the top of my head, I can see him having some chain moves like Raiden did in CvS, some non grapple moves too like an Axe handle and his clothesline having different properties than Gief’s, traditional spinning clothesline ending with an uppercut-like manuever that maybe knocks the opponent upwards as set ups for combos.

On the subject of differentiating similar / clone characters, I got inspired and the other day wrote up a small scene between G & Q, but after that I got to thinking on how I’d differentiate them if tasked with making G & Q share a character slot, but had to make some notable differences.

Q as an EX character:

• First, I’d make him more viable than SF3, his sloppiness and hindered movements can come through his animations without making his priorities so bad hah
  • Crank up the aesthetic differences: show him straining, frustrated, or sorrowful after some moves rather than G’s energetic dancing. Instead of gold and fire, have rocks and dust kicking up to represent his raw strength and durability. Change his intro and win poses and give him a new CA
  • Make him an unstoppable, but clumsy juggernaut while G is the flashy, agile magical blasting guy. Q should have strong, steady, honest and direct moves.

Just rambling, but I think there’s a lot you can do to show G as the Master/Sensei and Q as the inferior puppet, incomplete student.

No SF game should come out with out the original 8 World Warriors.

My personal opinion is that every fighting game should be doing EVERYONE IS HERE! every time!

3 Likes

There were scans of Volume 2 in enlgish at one point in the Internet’s history, I know that because I’ve seen English panels.

I have the Japanese scans of Volume 1 and 2 (I truly do admire the art and fight scenes). I have my physical copy of Volume 1 but my desire for a full on translated context for volume 2 only grows by the day, lol.

In recent times, yes, I’ve only seen chapters 1 and 2 online.

I don’t think we need the original 8 every game per se, but they do cover a lot of ground in playstyle and design that games without them can feel lacking in (ex. Zoners in the original versions of SF3/SFV). If you’re going to make a SF game without Dhalsim, you need a clear analogue to what he brings to the game.

9 Likes

As much as I’d like to agree with this sentiment, as I see where it comes from… there’s a ton of SF characters I’d like to be guaranteed in before people like Dhalsim and Blanka.

Though of course I think you’re the only person who wants all Street Fighters in one game even more than I do, so if it were up to us everyone would be in, if not from the start, at least at the end of the game’s cycle.

2 Likes

For the main that should be recurring along with the iconic…

Chun li- Pop culture female icon
Bison - can be a side character like in SF4 not main baddie but influences behind the scene.

edit: having problems with a different mobile auto edit

Sometimes I just want NRS to just borrowed SF IP just for the SF the movie game.

So Raul Julia , JDV and Kylie Minogue can be in the game or have them as guest characters as a parody tribute version with a different name but has the strong color palette resemblance along with the iconic moveset of the characters they played which are Bison, Guile and Cammy.

With a plot of Raul Julia being a futuristic wizard in a different parallel

And JDV and Kylie as the two interdimensional Cop (another JDV film like time cop or something like The one in concept) task to hunt down Raul Julia character.

Guesting them with the Iconic film Shang Tsung is a what a time to be alive moment

1 Like

Agreed. It’s why I wish more fighting games did the, BlazBlue thing of “Well, we’re just going to make the same game for 10 years. Occasionally, we’ll say it’s a new game, but really it’s just the old game with more characters in it.”

Especially now that Xrd has “solved” graphics forever.

2 Likes

Nah, that’s forcing stagnation, any FG should be let to evolve with time, cutting out characters that become obsolete and age badly while establishing newcomers that turned to be better. Not saying to throw the good ones in the trash bin like SF3 or Soulcalibur 5, the key word is evolution.

By that logic, KoF would be forced to feature the Sports team in every single game and also have Rugal as the villain, would have gotten old and dull very fast. Or Tekken including Ganryu and Wang every game, or Fatal Fury with Hwa Jai or Duck King, etc.

Of SF2, the only ones I feel are obligatory are Ryu, Ken, Guile, Chun, Cammy, Zangief and Dhalsim. T. Hawk, Dee Jay, Blanka, Balrog and Honda should be retired forever. 2 more could appear as DLC every now and then.

SF6 could appeal to nostalgia while pulling a never seen before by offering a Final Fight big cast (Guy, Haggar, Cody, Poison, Maki, Sodom, Rolento, Hugo).

3 Likes

Ken, Guile and Cammy can also be in the bench for sometime.

Chun li and Ryu are the most nowadays.

Haggar, Sodom, Maki, Eagle are the cast that I really want to see return.

Sometime I did like Alpha Nash and Haggar to be the main since they are more broad in possibilities compare to the original and known characters they were inspired with or have been a popular entry to the series.

2 Likes

KOF is kind of a different beast here so understandably they can’t push every single team from '94 into every single new game

But Street Fighter for example easily can have the original 8 as a part of the default cast. Blanka and Honda were the only two that didn’t get into Vanilla SFV

But then again SF3 was such a shift for the series that perhaps indeed the base SF2 roster wouldn’t quite fit in there

Hell yeah!

He doesn’t have to stay the final boss.

2 Likes

We really do need the Street Fighter Versus Street fighter game a dream match that everyone is in and in ala king of fighters style of single round matches.

So we could have Oro Versus Gouken or Dhalsim
Dhalsim vs Necro and Necro vs Blanka

Haggar vs Gief
Sakura vs Sean
Q vs G

then etc.

Since there is a different thing regarding clones in a team based game

1 Like

Sound like a very debatable opinion rather than some absolute truth

You ask me i like MUCH more some old school KoF or Tekken characters over lot of theyr recent ones

Said that is fun that we share almost identical opinion on who can stay and who can go talking about SF2… but point stands

I get your point and the TK/FFrs you used as example show we share taste on some things, but problem Is that with the “obsolete” tag thing you open the door to that loud group of wierdos that want just to see SF2rs removed

Another important thing Is the need to keep the core spirit… To me KoF and Tekken lost It, and i don’t wish the same for SF

And it’s Guile is the obvious and undeniable stagnant one among the world warriors. His motivation is mainly with Shadaloo also which had been resolve yet in can expand but should not be in a forced and radical thing.

Of the original eight I feel only Ryu, Ken and Chun are obligatory. I can live without any of the other world warriors. The series can do fine without Honda and Blanka. Zangief and Dhalism gameplay archetype are important than the characters themselves.

Of the original 12 I think 8 should always be present as part of the launch roster (or S1 at worst). I’m only flexible on Honda, Blanka, and to a lesser extent Rog though. I think the rest all earned permanent spots and have proven themselves utterly irreplaceable in the minds of the public and players (both in archetype, persona, and aesthetic).

Guile can easily grow out of his Shadaloo arc with how Nash was manipulated by the Illuminati. Without Guile, you end up with crap like Remy.

Bison can easily work from the Shadows, and gameplay-wise he’s so versatile, adaptable, and unlike any character in SF’s history.

Vega can easily become part of any roster because of his inclinations and motivations.

Sagat is an icon. I don’t need to add more here.

Cammy and Akuma, while not part of the original 12 - They could be grouped with them.

The fastest way to get casuals to ignore SF is to ignore these characters. You also look at the most played characters in the history of SF5 and a clearer picture emerges. Give the fans what they want enough so that the Developer can earn wiggle room to create whatever it is they want after.

2 Likes

I don’t like that idea at all. It puts a hard limit on returning characters if half of them are reserved from a singular game.

2 Likes

Vega/Claw had much love especially with females he needs to be in every SF. That was another wrong they did before.

The problem with Guile’s supposed to be successor is they killed it, they killed Nash. So we end up with Remy.

With Remy the issue is not that complicated like the motivation and character design that can be salvage Why? because of having minor role and not connected with other popular cast in SF but yet it is a gamble.

Honda should retire. Dhalsim and Balrog/Boxer had proven to be one the characters that has relevant gameplan in the competitive scene among the rest of the WW.

Balrog is irreplaceable even with Ed and Dudley around.

Here the iconic WW-ST that should be initial for me

Ryu
Chun-li - a pop-culture representation of iconic character
Claw - Huge fanbase(just like sakura and the edge lords) and iconic in visual
Boxer
Sim
Bison - just a pop-culture representation of villain

Ken can be replace with Guy or Sean as for a character variant

On 3s

Urien
Makoto
Yun
Dudley

Not a list of characters that is favorable to me but this is something that should always be part of an initial list. I didn’t include zero because there is much more possibility their and Sakura is undeniable part of it.

I’m going to have to disagree because I think this represents one of the series biggest problems. The series will never get any sense of progression by continuously tapping into the same well. Don’t know about you but I find Bison and Shadowloo as a whole stale as fuck. It’s like the Mega Man games where Wily is always the villain.

4 Likes