The SF2 Hyper Fighting Thread

Watching those vids Crayfish hosted, I saw a ryu player consistently using hurricane kicks to trade with the fireball every time he saw a fireball in the ryu vs. ryu match. How effective of a strategy is this? the Ryu player using the tactic won. But I’ve never seen that done before.

I believe i have that Pony Canyon tape somewhere. I’ll dig it out and put it up for download.

hurricane does more damage, and if you time it right you’ll go through the fb. It’s kinda like rog trading dash punches vs a fireball.

Ok here is part 5 (of 7) of the
’GANGZHOU 2003 HYPER FIGHTING TOURNAMENT’:
GuangZhou HF3 Pg2Grp E,F,G & H

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VZVTAT1D

Wow, that would be fantastc. Great new. Thanks Eidrian. Is it a stategy vid, combo focused of a bit of everythin like the Gamest one?

Hyper Fighting RYU

Yes this is a majr strat in HF. I can see why Decoy ranked Ryu number one in this game. In the local scene I came from, in the end one player dominated, a Ryu player, and his major advantage over everyone else was his mastery of the first ‘frame invulnerable Cyclne kick’. It got to the point where you couldn’t throw HP fireballs at hm at all, he would spin through them every time clean and nail you. Its great for certain AA situatins too, like when another shoto jumps in at full HK range, the Cyclone will kick way out in front and beat it clean, whereas a DP will often whiff. It was even a dangerous too attempt certain combos against the Ryu player as he was so good at canceling it out of hitstun. Often you would land two hits only for him to cancel into Cyclone, go through your fireball and counter you clean right back.

We should now deffo mention the CPS1 chain. This isn’t just for exhibition combos, its a major part of Ryu’s game in HF. It fulfills a kind of surrogate topdown/oerhead role. You can play some SERIOUS high low games with this. The simple c.LK, s.HPxxfireball CPS1 chain is so dangerous becase it gives Ryu te ability to dizzy an opponent from cold just sanding next to the opponent, without the need for a jumpin, charge or anything else, very few characters can do this. And all you need is one close c.LK!
You can fake going for a throw, player stands to counter, you switch to df on the stick + LK…dizzy.
You jumpin, player blocks high, you dont thow an air attack, land and go straight into c.K…dizzy
Player whiffs a DP you walk in, c.LK…dizzy. Its one combo that should be 100% for every serious Ryu player.

There is a nice variation of a common footsie on this latest set of Gang Zhou matches (see the first 13vs14 match). There are a number of setps off a blocked c.LK:
Much like the blocked LP Dragon technique shown in the Tomo vid, you can bait whiffed sweeps and punish them. Like walk in throw a c.LK, then walk back, if the player tries to sweep you it will whiff and you can walk back in and counter trip or thow (using the extended throw range of the whiffed move).
Anyway, there is a very nasty variation of this in the match I just mentioned. The player walks in, throws the c.LK but then he takes one step back and immediately jumps forwards, as the opponent whiffs wiith his counter sweep, he has widened and shortened his crossover box, and given you the perfect timing and range to land an easy superdepp crossover HK (combo into s.HPxxDP. Goodnight)

One great tip ,I got here at SRK, is using the Shoto HK Axe Kick as a tick. As an opponent is getting to his feet, stand rigt next to him and throw an early Axe Kick so that the first hit whiffs and the second makes contact meaty (this gives you extra threat of two hitbox durations), then walk forwards and throw. This is a surprisingly effective tactic.

I’m sure at some point we’ll get onto THE sf2 matchup, Ryu ve Guile. There was a pretty heated argument on this forum before between members including Apoc (If I can find it I’ll post it up again). Anyway, I remember that Apoc made a really interesting point about why Ryu has the advantage. He can counter all Guile’s jumpins with c.mp that can then be canceled into fb to sustain pressure, (this negates the loss of initiative due to DP recovery time). This requires good timing and ranging but is a pretty awsome tactic in this matchup

Crayfish.

Yep…nods:lovin: all of those reasons are why I loved Turbo Ryu, it seems that everyone seems to have forgotten how powerful of a tool that inv. hurricane kick was. Imo, Hyper Ryu was for me the best Ryu ever in all of the Street Fighter 2 series.

Great post Crayfish, hopefully more people will take this and try to learn these things about Hyper Ryu, man I love this thread.

heh, back when ryu was broke, ahh the memories.

I have a feeling the HF release could trigger some online leagues to take a serious look at fighters for the first time. Before you thrash online, it’s online events that create lan events. And the interest I have seen has been massive.

looking forward to guile vs ryu discussions. I don’t understand everything about this matchup, but there’s something about this matchup that never gets boring. I’d rather play a bunch of HF guile vs ryu matches than play cvs2/3s.

Bill thank you! I just noticed this post up, lol, this is some good shit! Dude…a mod should stickie this thread…there’s just some gold mine stuff in this here thread!

It’s like a Gamest one, just from a different studio. I uploaded it to www.combovideos.com . It’s on the main page, and no, you don’t have to pay to download. It’s on the free match videos sections.

Filename: sf2dash-ponycanyon-vhs.wmv
Original Filename: (???) ??? ??? ??? [1h00m01s 320x240 WMV9].wmv
Size: 301 MB

Hope you all like it.

PS: Also, some comments please! :smiley:

Thats a fantastic video Eidrian, thanks alot for taking the time to upload it for us. I would say despite CPS1 chains not being yet discovred, the standard of stuff they show in the vid is higher than the Gamest one. I especialy loved the Gief-Dhalsim hold in the corner into 1hit dizzy headbut juggle, thats crazy!! The only thing is that this video is for Champion Edition, not Hyper Fighting, but lots of the stuff crosses over anywy. Btw that Boxer player in the tourney was excellent, that one match against Sim with all the ‘jump back overhead’ tricks and TAP ticks was amazing. I wonder how good that guy was with Hyper Fighting Boxer?!? Again, does anyone have the Hyper Fighting video they could post up too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Street-Fighter-II-2-Turbo-Video-Capcom-Pony-Canyon-Jp_W0QQitemZ3194104097QQcategoryZ1345QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Btw Eidrian, dont forget to post this up in the ‘Korea SF2’ thread, sure those guys will go crazy for this.
http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102064&highlight=korea

Thanks agin m8, great work :tup:

Crayfish.

Lots of new info on the Xbox360 version:
http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/streetfighteriihyperfighting/news.html?sid=6151919

Crayfish.

Thanks for that. From the sound of the online game, the lag will be comparable to SFAE’s play on Xbox1?

Whats the default speed of HF is for the Japanese version? The gameplay videos in that preview looked slow as hell, like they had it set as low as it would go.

And is it just me, or did it look like they had cleaned up or fastened Sagat’s standing kick moves in that vid, they came out at the expected speed, but looked alot smoother. Guess its some of the cleanup work they mentioned doing to the game?

Which HF video are you requesting? That ebay link is for the Pony Canyon VHS. If you point me in the right direction, i might be able to get it and upload it just like the other one.

woa the xbox 360 version looks hella slow! Under water fighting 2k6 :looney:

Yes that the one, its the Pony Canyon HF (Turbo) one. If its anywhere near as good as the Champion Edition one you just posted’ it’ll be great. I’ve just noticed how many videos Pony Canyon have done, its a shame they aren’t as well know as Gamest. I noticed on e-bay one of SF1 too!!

Yeah I hope the finished version isnt that slow. I dont think it will be, the video linked to in the first post looked correct speed, maybe just the footage was running at a slower speed.
Really looking fwd to your next tourney Obot, are you gonna continue covering HF?

Crayfish.

Yeah, i have that as well. I’ll try to post it soon and also that SF1 tape too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Given that you can often change the speed of console fighters I’d withhold judgement till the final product arrives.

Guile vs. Ryu

Ryu has a clear advantage in this matchup. Probably 6-4 in Ryu’s favour.

Guile is at a disadvantage because his setups with sonic boom aren’t as effective against Ryu. Guile is no match for Ryu in an all-out firefight and he also can’t pressure Ryu with the SB effectively (Ryu’s hurricane kick).

Things that Guile can do at a distance are to draw Ryu into a fireball fight, hopefully getting him to start trying to overwhelm you with fireballs. What Guile is looking for is a careless FB that he can jump over for a RH kick while Ryu is in his fireball recovery.

If Guile has the lead, try to hang on to it and force Ryu to jump in. Your AAs here are low fierce, stand RH, trip guard low fwd, and low strong (if you anticipate a Ryu jump RH). Low strong will let Guile duck under the jump RH and u can throw them when they land.

If you have to get in close you should always try to stay just outside the range of Ryu’s low RH. When you’re fighting in close, you have to mixup your timing and patterns so it’s harder for Ryu to react to your setups.

If Ryu ever throws a FB to nullify your boom in close, you can backhand him for free damage. Another good trick is if Ryu blocks your low forward, try backhand instead of sonic boom. If Ryu tried to FB to counter after blocking low fwd he’ll eat the backhand. Mixup the timing of your attacks not only to keep Ryu guessing, but also to give you time to setup your attacks with sonic boom.

Never whiff low forward when playing footgames against Ryu. Good Ryus will sweep it on reaction and knock you down.

I actually recommend throwing booms and baiting the hurricane kick. If you know your spacing you can crouching fierce the kicks.

Callmeanewb: Yes, throwing booms and baiting the HK is a big part of it. Guile must be tricky tho. He has to mix up his follow-ups well (boom walk-in throw, boom, low fwd, boom, wait, low fierce HK etc). Not only can Ryu HK over careless sonic booms, but if he knows you’re going to sit there and bait his HK out, he can simply do fierce FB to start pushing you out again, because the range where he can hit you for free with hurricane is also the range where you can’t jump up over his fierce FB on reaction.