The Real Bout FF Special Thread: RANGE Line Shift Counter Chart Part I up!

Well with all of that data you should own me 5-2 in our money match!:sweat::sweat::wtf::karate:

We will see shawty!:karate:

Call me shinfreemoney

So if I beat you with tung will you say that Mai isnā€™t in the top 3 of the game? Then after the mm we can play krauser vs. mai casuals, because I think he is better than mai also. :sweat::karate:

Thats the data I was talking about how Mai beats Krauser/Tung matchup wise overallā€¦

If you beat me with Tung its because you are better than me point in simpleā€¦Iā€™ve presented enough data to argue Mai is top tier clearlyā€¦

RBS Geese Tower casuals from last night and plenty more coming from Mexico in about 2 more weeks stay tuned!!! With FFBA2 hitting, more and more are gonna jump on RBSā€¦

Here I am using Mai in casuals I am on the leftā€¦

[media=youtube]x1nlztzPY9U[/media]

Hey DG I have a very specific question so I hope ur up to awnser it. What makes RBS so balanced?

The fact that only one character is bottom tierā€¦Chengā€¦and most of the cast is A Classā€¦which is highā€¦only four are S Classā€¦and the A Class does well against them except certain matchups which you gotta be wary of which my matchup chart explainsā€¦

I DARE anyone to come in here arguing Line Shift ruins the gameā€¦whats your basis for this argument??

What do you know about the game???

Iā€™ve done more research on this game than the people spouting off these claimsā€¦

:sweat:

-Dark Geese

I really donā€™t know about the RB series but from visiting various other sites on the game they all seem to shit on RBS pretty bad because of the line shift. They say RB2 is were the series starts getting serious and that the competitive aspect to RBS is ruined due to line shift.

And thats Bullshitā€¦I challenge ANY person that says this to come in here and defend themselvesā€¦I feel I know more about the game than any of them doā€¦

The only reason they would shit on the Line Shift is because-

1. Its too complex for them to FULLY understand or they dont fully understand it
  2. They are looking for a copout excuseā€¦

Thats really itā€¦

Nothing else to it. Iā€™ve done the work to shut this theory upā€¦so the evidence is thereā€¦but if people dont wanna read it thatā€™s their own faultā€¦

Show me these other sites that say thisā€¦I will show them my line chart and shut them up alsoā€¦

Crap they were some random generic SNK sites I came accross, I know some dudes on this site feel that way. When the archive#2 comes out I donā€™t know which one to get intoā€¦RBS or RB2?

Play them bothā€¦they are both good gamesā€¦ I play RB2 though I prefer RBSā€¦

I play everything SNK thoughā€¦so people cant say ā€œYou only play this gameā€

Iā€™m like ā€œNoā€¦though I prefer xyz watch out and dont let me kick your ass in such and such!ā€

People would be foolish to sleep on me because I prefer one game over anotherā€¦:wonder:

The people that feel this way about RBS even on this site I have yet to see some concrete evidenceā€¦so until they can give me some concrete evidence to counter what I have said their argument is invalidā€¦

Also makes me question just how much they know about the gameā€¦

Geese, the problem with the line shift is that it results in at best a guessing game, or at worst an impossible fight.

You still think ā€œA beats X, but Y beats A, but B beats Yā€ is an example of depth. This is simply not true - depth lies in being able to create a gameplan that allows the better player to consistently win. Games that heavily emphasize guessing (such as this one, or DOA) are lacking in this area. Guilty Gear features a lot of these mixups, yes, but it also allows you to stay out of them if you are skilled enough or escape them if you have meter; in RBS, on the other hand, the mixup begins whenever somebody shifts to the opposite plane, so you canā€™t guard-cancel or avoid it like you can a high/low.

In RB2, this entire guessing game was tossed out, and spacing & other high-level skills became important again. The line shift still has its uses, but it is extremely risky and it does not drastically alter the game like it does in Special.

Special isnā€™t a terrible game - thereā€™s just better stuff out there. But I will gladly play you whenever we meet again. =)

-Josh

REI is hella low tier.

he got hit with the nerf stick hord after RB1! :shake:

I see what you are saying but its not unbeatable except for a couple of peopleā€¦

Also you said you can stay out of them in Guilty Gear if you have meterā€¦you can do the same with Breakshot in RBSā€¦Burst in GGā€¦Breakshot in RBSā€¦you can stay out of all this stuffā€¦same thingā€¦

The line shift does have some depthā€¦

I created a gameplan with Mai that enables me to winā€¦the better player will win in RBSā€¦all there is to itā€¦I think abusing Line Shift all the time is not high level playā€¦you gotta mix it up, if not** its scrubby**. Theres holes in abusing line shift that Iā€™ve exposedā€¦

You make it seem like all you gotta do is sit in Line Shift and you winā€¦it doesnt work that way at a high levelā€¦

As Iā€™ve illustratedā€¦and Ghostpilot saidā€¦because if I block your LS attack, we are on even planesā€¦time to punish youā€¦so you gotta be solid in the main plane alsoā€¦

So you gotta be the better player period to win in RBSā€¦ An average Billy I will destroyā€¦why? Because I am the better playerā€¦

If someone just sits and whores Line Shift I will destroy themā€¦why? Because once they get in the main plane THEY ARE TOASTā€¦

I also know the intracies of the matchups RATHER WELL ontop of the Paper-Rock-Scissors thing you just said of what to counter what with whatā€¦so if they just sit there and whore normals they die a miserable deathā€¦

Breakshot is the counter for almost everything alsoā€¦Its the Alpha Counter of the gameā€¦(and it doesnt take a full super meter to useā€¦H Power builds up rather quickly!)

Also in regards to line Shift Josh youā€™re wrongā€¦

It doesnt amount to a guessing gameā€¦

not reallyā€¦Think about itā€¦vs. the S Class, take for exampleā€¦

You KNOW Mai is gonna abuse Top and Bottom+Cā€¦

So you get the counters for thatā€¦same with Billy, Sokaku, Kimā€¦

Thus get your counters ready for thatā€¦no guess workā€¦which means now they cant whore thatā€¦

They arent gonna use the other stuff too much except the sweepsā€¦

Thats what I seeā€¦let someone use the other Line Shifts all day.

LOLā€¦they too will die as they are very ineffectiveā€¦as I will stick to WHAT WORKSā€¦

So yeah, at a low to intermediate level you are guessing between 8 optionsā€¦ (Top Four= A,B,C, Down+C, Bottom Four= A,B,C, Down+C)

But at a very high level when you KNOW what the the other person is abusing and what to counterā€¦you only have TWO OPTIONSā€¦ (Maybe four max if you include the LS Sweeps) Makes the ā€œguessworkā€ rather easyā€¦Iā€™ve figured all this outā€¦so the top tier doesnt bother me ONE BITā€¦

And theres a counter you know in the Top and the Bottom most characters HAVE!!!

-Dark Geese

Ontop of this Josh no one has mentioned countering with the Universal Counterā€¦as I call itā€¦the b,f+a move that everyone has that are their A+B attacks in RB2 that can stop MANY MANY MANY HIGH attacks in the game!!!

So that balances EVERYTHING outā€¦why? Because the most potent line Shift attacks can be blocked High or low (As I say The Csā€¦limiting the options)ā€¦meaning they are High attacksā€¦meaning b,f+a will counter it if done correctlyā€¦(It has to be done the moment someone attacks NOT like RB2)

Theres plenty ways to formulate a gameplan in the game of RBSā€¦but thing is you just cant wing itā€¦

You gotta know the system to eliminate the bad optionsā€¦and that is what I doā€¦I eliminate the bad options and can show you why you eliminate from 8 to four in Line Shift if you wantā€¦

for those interested, BA2 review.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=933889

Thanks Musolini!

Also guys I got some stuff nowā€¦SIX WAYS that I think you all will like how to counter Line Shift-

1. Universal Counter- Yesā€¦Iā€™ve tested itā€¦many work vs. LS attacks.
  2. Backdash- Yes during a backdash you canā€™t be punished with LS attacksā€¦so USE THEMā€¦
  3. LS jump- Jump either forward, hop forward or whatever in the other plane, their attack will miss or you will throw them off
  4. Block! Yes it puts them in the same plane!
  5. DELAYED Breakshot- Yes delayed meaning you dont BS the Line Shift normalā€¦you BS the special move that follows that is normally safeā€¦
  6. Line shift normal counter attackā€¦see my chartā€¦

There you goā€¦Iā€™ve been playing a LOT of RBS today getting Sā€™s on the CPU Level 8 with this stuffā€¦

The CPU is good on the hardest level of this game to play FOR THIS PURPOSEā€¦it will show you how to work the Line Shift systemā€¦

even Boss Billy will use his potent attacks etcā€¦Mai, Sokaku, Kim, you name itā€¦the CPU knows what to useā€¦so its good to learn how to fight against it on the hardest levelā€¦

-Dark Geese

yeah cpu level 8 is great, same for RB2. though they do cheat sometimes. same ol same ol like in all fighters cpu doing 2 sec charge moves without charging them. doing tons of damage. i remember i was going to kill geese, but krauser stopped that really cheap. i had only 1 pixel of damage from a blocked LT. the guy catches me from a 1/4 screen distance and kills me with his gigantic cyclone. 99.9% damage on one ppower? thats crazy.

fun lil yamazaki trick. hit geese at the start of the round with a snake tamer (mid). hell throw a repuken, double return it. do another snake tamer and repeat till he dies. i just like throwing them fireballs back. in this one his fireball (double return) goes nicely through all fireballs (ala geese repuken A version). nice way to hit joe with. especially after his triple hurricane.

The truthā€¦Iā€™m posting Juarez matches in a week or so when I get back Tuesday.

So Iā€™m actually playing this now.

I think EX Tung might be even worse than Cheng. Seriously, just try him out once and youā€™ll see why.

EX Andy is fun if you can get in on the opponent, and probably better than the normal versionā€¦he has a pursuit, and an air-to-ground throw much like Fuumaā€™s in WHP. And you can do it from a hop, even!

I dunno if EX Billy is better than the normal one, but I think heā€™s more fun at least. After the b,f+A->b,f+C, you can JUGGLE his P-Power in the corner!

Also, with Billy in general, in case you didnā€™t know, you can link a far C into a standing A combo at long range.

Honestly, the more I play this the more I realize that a good number of characters are weaker than in RB2. Here are my thoughts:

Chonshu: The most obvious one probably. His P-Power is terrible in Special, rather than one of the best in 2, and itā€™s almost impossible to get his silly crossup game to work. Additionally, after that close C string, you can only combo the DP and sometimes not even that.

Franco: Another very obvious one IMO. He has almost NONE of the high/low or constant pressure that makes him so dangerous in 2. You can combo the uppercut super in this one, true, but the P-Power is garbage. No way in HELL he is A tierā€¦I actually think heā€™s one of the worst characters overall, when you combine all of this with his crappy line-shift attacks.

Yamazaki: Heā€™s extremely similar in the two games, but I think 2 has a slight edge. This is mostly because of the d/f+A upper - just another medium-speed normal in Special, but the single fastest normal in 2. Also, Special doesnā€™t have the sand kick overhead, and the f+A overhead is a little better in 2 as it has a chain that knocks them into the background.

Bob: The breakdance move is nice, but he canā€™t juggle after DP kick in RBS, the P-Power is a little better in 2, and I think he canā€™t juggle from his throw unless Iā€™m missing something. Oh yeah, and then thereā€™s that infinite he doesnā€™t have in RBSā€¦

Krauser: Iā€™d rather have 2ā€™s version of the leg tomahawk - the RBS one only combos from an A-C chain at point-blank range. The grab super has an easier/quicker motion in 2. The added dp+C move in 2 is an effective and very damaging anti-air. The Iori-style grab is also much better in 2 thanks to the f,f+C->dp+C followup. And RB2 has better corner combos thanks to feint cancels. So in RBS heā€™s not exactly a dominator in a head-to-head fight, and horrible at the line shift gameā€¦so why do people think heā€™s good again?

I also think Hon-Fu, Terry, & Cheng are debatable, but that may have to come laterā€¦

Iā€™m coming for ya, Geese!

-Josh

Good shit Josh! Knockdown tomahawk by Krauser in RBSā€¦hes A class but thats about itā€¦his main plane gameā€¦I think hes more solid in RB2ā€¦