The King Of Fighters XV General Discussion Thread

Game a work in progress, so it SHOULD look better by the time it comes out. I honestly don’t know how far they can go with that artstyle tho.

The trailer.

Everything is VERY in the line of KOF XIV. Too bad, I wanted them to do something really different and more daring. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the KOF XIV characters return to the roster.

And well, as for the graphics, a very slight improve over KOF XIV’s, but an improvement at least. Welcome be it.

2 Likes

It wasn’t pretty; but I had fun playing KoF14. I wouldn’t be mad if Sylvie Paula Paula returned. She was obnoxious fun to use.

I’m a bit disappointed that after all this time the game just appears to be using a modified SamSho engine. Also bummed out that it appears the ladies have bad implants, as is the norm for this eSports era of fighting games.

I’m not going to REEEE about “muh censorship” however I admit I’m just irked by the denial of physics when it comes to breasts. Yes, they don’t need to jiggle like the old DOA 99 Age gimmicks; but breasts do move and developers continuing this trend of stiff chests on the ladies is just. . . gross in new ways.

On serious talk though - I hope some MotW characters make the cut. B. Jenet is sorely underutilized by SNK, and I’d like Tizoc to return. Ignoring King of Dinosaurs. Sorry, I’m a BIRD HEADED MAN type of guy!

For laughs if they added loli-Chang to the roster with Chang, I’d play a Chang, Choi, Chang team for maximum comedy. Especially if both Changs do the belly grab win pose. Fat criminal swag FTW!

Fingers crossed the online play is solid. SNK is the ultimate underdog, and I want to see they do well. I may not get my BDE 90’s SNK back, but damn it - I gotta believe!

1 Like

Shun ei trailer just came out, looks largely the same + some weird aerial moves (looks like a dive and a straight drop down, can’t tell if either is an actual attack) cl.B is shown in the same sequence as cl.C but can’t tell if it combos (correction: looks like a cancel of some sort old, cl.C animation may now be a command normal, still can’t confirm if it combos without some sort of combo counter). Last sequence of trailer feels a bit lazy as they show what I believe is his new lvl 3 (neomax, climax, max2, HSDM, whatever they intend to call it this game) but it seems to be from the previous trailer as the background is South beach instead of the arena that the rest of the trailer takes place in. in any case here’s the trailer:

3 Likes

The stages still look terrible.

I hope they up their game in the final release.

Meitenkun trailer dropped. CD attacks still wall splat. New command normal KD raw cancelable when cancelled into. He has what looks like a charge punch feint at around 27 seconds in. Does an EX move w/o any form of glow before it comes out so likely EX can be done outside of max mode (assuming there is a form of max mode). New background. Super cancels. Nothing else really stood out to me.

2 Likes

Wow, the game looks better in this second teaser :slight_smile: They really took seriously the negative feedback Shun’ei’s trailer received, now they’re showing more gameplay.

Some comparison:

I like more the new more colorful aesthetics, instead of the mute-colored looks of XIV.

2 Likes

I will no doubt purchase this, but so far I’m not particularly hyped. The trailers really feel like SNK want people to acknowledge the effort put forth on the new characters in KoFXIV.

Perhaps a better trailer delivery system would be to show team trailers, unless this format is indicating a change to the system? Don’t want to read too deep into that, doubt they’d drop the team format.

Visually, looks like they’re getting good use out of a repurposed Samurai Shodown engine.

The trailers make me think KOF XV is simply KOF XIV.I

They’re not trying to break the mold, but to solidify the brand, to make new audiences get familiar with this new era of KOF and reaffirm this XIV roster as a staple people can count on. And sell the new graphics.

I think most XIV characters will return and the gameplay will be very similar to KOF XIV, that’s turns 3 vs 3, cancels, MAX mode, but with a couple improvements.

I think it looks promising. But I also sort of miss the times where every new KOF game felt like something completely different (think about the complete roster overhaul from KOF 2003 to XI for example).

Let’s see how this plays out.

3 Likes
2 Likes

This probably means…

Oh no!

They’ve teamed my boy up with those other puds. :frowning:

Oh well. Looking good. Need to see Yamazaki and Sylvie soon!

1 Like

In both benimaru’s and meitenkun’s trailers we see a faint blue glow on the character during the final sequence which dissappears for the climax. It’s clear there is some form of max mode, but it isn’t clear what it affects. Benimaru’s last sequence looks like it should cost 6 meter, in previous titles meter maxed out at 5 (and in few select titles, 1). I have a lot of speculations but I can’t see how these ideas would be balanced.

On another note, assuming Meitenkun still has his charge d_u+AC, he will be pretty ridiculous defensively. That move was balanced to be stuck behind max activation, 5 frame start up, hit box covers hurt box and then some, invul until frame 6, can be juggled after, lasts long enough to charge a follow-up attack, and now it would be usable in neutral and in combos. That said charge d_u+p is the only move in Meitenkun’s special arsenal from XIV that we haven’t seen in any of XV’s trailers.

Jack from tekken called, he wants his hand back.

1 Like

Good to see one of the core cast members return. I am way more excited for this KoF release than I have been in ages. I only hope the retard idol and other poor new designs get cut to make room for the full Fatal Fury cast.

Well, so far they’ve shown the graphics and a hint at the gameplay.

But do you think they could do much more?

I mean, they will probably not have the same resources as Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, but they could add some attractive extra features not entirely depending of budget.

Things like color edit, maybe being able to customize your char to some extent with a couple accessories (I’d love to be able to use K’ without those stupid sunglasses on). I hope they consider it.

1 Like

Nope!

Sylvie’s visuals were questionable, but she’s a ton of fun to use.

At this point, I’ll settle for KoF15 being fun to play and having competent online component so fans can find each other and enjoy it online. A well fleshed out training mode would be useful for new players as well, but that’s the eternal canard of fighting game creation. There’s just a percentage of gamers who will never be into fighting games, as they are the last bastion of pure game play.

If she does not dress in a mascot outfit or furry shit and minimizes her obnoxiousness she can stay low tier.

The value proposition of a comprehensive training mode is bad. Story modes get more sales despite even worse replay value. I would not mind a well done Quest mode with AI opponents and objectives.

3 Likes

They still haven’t been able to bring in a new costume of Iori that is actually decent :S

I liked better the XIV costume better.