The " I can't Kara Throw on pad!" Thread

idk i use a 6 button layout and it’s something i really had to practice. I do reps of 10 or so in a row to make sure i can get it reliably if i use the h.k it would be as an extended tick grab of sorts but the m. k makes it so they think your in almost a long poke range and get tossed around. or they think your going to step to poke and the extended range makes them mis-time their throw techs

hmm this is interesting, I actually Kara-Throw using my thumbs with F-MK to Throw…when I used a 360 pad at first I mapped throw onto a button so it was easier. But the problem for me for the longest time was that I couldn’t successfully can’t Kara throw after a blockstring… But I might impliment this as an alternative I will be sure to try it out and post the results

EDIT: I currently use a fight pad sorry for not clearing that up lol

ya i just slide my thumb across. how people manage that on stick is amazing to me

i personally perfer the ->+ mk,lp,lk method over the -> lp+KKK

its actually pretty easy, since most of us pad players use our thumbs it is more difficult. On stick however they are able to use multiple fingers so its easier. I actually am training both on pad and stick. I still prefer pad, however; the stick is pretty accurate.

i dont get how to do it on stick, is it just laying 2 fingers flat on the face? When I grab on stick I use both my thumb and index for each button, but that means when I try to kara throw I am crunching my fingers in either middle or ring to hit mk or hk… either way it’s awkward to me.

I use 3 to 4 fingers to play some use all 5 maybe try. Using more fingers?

Back when i first started playing pad it wasn’t really hard to Kara throw with Ken. Just practice getting your thumb to roll over those buttons properly. It works about as consistently as it does on stick for me.

Well I just use my thumb index and middle finger playing on a stick (I have arthiritis in my ring and pinky fingers). it just takes practice man. It gets easier after a while

Yea when i first heard about the kara throw i figured that there was no way i could pull that of on pad (reg 360 controller), until i felt like i wasn’t getting any better and that i needed to learn it… But i got it down pretty good, but you jut gotta go hard in the training room, TRUST ME it will be worth it rather u learn it with hk or mk

Yea we already had a thread on this before. I use a 360 controller and can Kara-throw. IMO don’t use the HK, it has way to little range to really abuse it as much as MK I’d say. I actually change my button imput, making A(Lk) throw, so I do A±>B(mk) it’s pretty easy cause your thumb is on both B and A, you only gotta time the -> lol. I don’t use Ken’s standing Lk anyways (I don’t think anyone really does) and crouching lk still works.

When I used the 360 pad I would map Throw and Focus on my L1 and L2 to start off with and I would do Ultra by pushing all 3 buttons. So if it makes Karaing easier for you map the buttons.

Just use the ball of ur thumb to hit mk than slide it down while at thew same time pressing the tip of ur finger down all it takes is practice no matter what controller. I just started using stick in july and although there really isn’t a big differnce pad is easier. Most things seem easier to do on pad cuz u don’t have to move as much but stick is more acurate, but w/ sf4 new scrub friendly system I don’t think it matters much. And I actually have a more consistent time pressing 2 buttons on the face of a pad than on a stick. And u don’t need to map buttons just practice hitting two buttons at once, no shortcuts I think if anything mapping buttons would hender people.

kara throw for ps3 controller users

for all the ken players that use the default controls on a ps3 controller, here is how to sort of kara throw. since trying to kara throw by hitting “O” and square and “X” is rather hard to do, the best way to do it is my using R2 and grab, which will kara the thunder kick and throw. it isn’t as far as cancelling the step kick but is the best alternative. good for ending a blocked combo like cl.k,cl.p,cl.p or just taking a few steps back on their wakeup and then doing it. after perfecting the timing in training mode it helps alot online. so its forward+R2 (little pause) “square” + “X”

Kara throwing with step kick is not that hard on pad. Just learn to roll your thumb really.quick.

i tried this before. but the forward step kick has such a hugeeee range i’d rather just practice that one even though its a bit tougher to do on ps3 pad

getastick

The distance with HK isn’t big enough to really use it IMO, use MK step kick.

I think I have a pretty good setup for it. Make ‘‘St.Lk’’ Throw. Which means, the X/A button will be the throw button, and B/O button is still of course the Mk. Its pretty easy to do it with 2 buttons that are close to each other.

Don’t worry, this won’t affect Crouching Lk’s, nor will it effect combo’s. The only thing that I have to sacrifice is crossup Lk tatsu on wakeup / on the ground vs Chargers, and no one uses st. lk with Ken anyways.

Bryanv2,

If you are using your lk button for throw and feel like you are missing out on the grounded lk tatsu’s, just remember that you can still negative edge it and/or hold down lp during the recovery of a previous move to stop the throw coming out when you press your lk button for the tatsu.

I used to do the same thing but after getting a stick, I decided to learn to do the Kara properly because I didn’t want to miss out on Ken’s st.lk (it;s just as good as Ken’s cr.lp really and very useful for Option Selecting stuff) and grounded lk tatsu any more.

Hope this helps,

I’ve had enough of MvC3 now and I’m thinking I might get back on the SSF4 scene.

If it’s died off too much (and judging by the Ken forum and how quiet it is, it looks like it has), I may well move back to my FPS’s again. MvC3 is just not as much fun for me I’m afraid, (I feel dirty saying this, but it’s just not my cup of tea.)

Peace,

G.

I know noones posted in this thread for a while but I felt it worth mentioning that you’re sacrificing half of your kara range if you cancel with thunder kick instead of step kick. This is significant for me at least because when you cancel with the overhead after some block strings you won’t push forward far enough to connect the throw. As a pad player I have to recommend that you spend an hour or two in training mode practicing the finger slide technique, once you get that down practice getting it out immediately after a block string. Also, mapping throw to your controller is gonna come back to bite any of you guys who try to enter a tourney in the ass because having throw mapped to one button is usually banned in the rules. Just a heads up. But anyway, I have to say that learning to kara throw with step kick is significantly better and being able to execute it immediately after a block string can really mindfuck anyone who isn’t an extremely good player. Even just being able to empty jump into kara on people who aren’t anti airing well is worth learning before you get the block string kara throw down. Think about it in steps while you’re learning it.