Sub 1 frame HDTV/Monitor Input Lag Database

It would be great if we could somehow find a unified testing methodology. There is no 100% way, but the part that makes this so hard is all the variables. Different resolutions, different types of inputs, different modes, even different panel types in the same model. Definitely a big shoutout to SaveFighting for starting this thread (seriously, that other thread has needed to be closed and restarted for at least a year and a half now).

Dunno about input types and resolutions, but rather than a clunky 2-monitor setup, wouldn’t using an LED modded controller be better? Use a camcorder and just get the controller in the same shot as the screen, and start recording. Load up some sort of testing program (maybe just Joy2Key to mouse clicks or something). The LED theoretically will have 0 latency. Run through the video frame by frame to see how much the monitor lags behind.

I’m not sure trying to 60 frame capture the exact timing of a button press with a camera is any less clunky than using two monitors. At least with the latter the data can’t really be misinterpreted.

I think for these tests, using a reliable splitter and testing vs a CRT is the best option, averaging the result over many samples and noting anything important about the distribution. For our purposes it is best to test both 720p and 1080p; 480p wouldn’t hurt either. Most of the monitor tests I see only test at the monitor’s native res.

Was it ever determined that doing a 720p test where your comparison monitor is 1080p, but showing the 720p image in dot for dot mode (not scaled) was reliable? I was going to test the panasonic l32c3 if I wasnt satisfied with the l32u3, but my only monitor I can use to compare right now with the proper splitting method is a vh236h

edit: shit, this doesnt even have a dot by dot mode.

Great Thread. Been looking for this.

I assume the numbers on the tv/monitors are an average? Im about to return a tv I got as a gift so now I guess Im in the hunt for a low input lag tv as a replacement.
Two of the tv’s in the OP are in this video, Samsung LE32C530 and the LG 32LD450.

[media=youtube]yF7BPwvUY5g[/media]
edit: oops re-read the OP. Sorry I missed where it says its averaged.

Are there lag results for the vh236h at 720p? I need a number for comparison tomorrow when I test the l32c3

A quick test I did vs a CRT suggested that it lags just over 1 frame at that resolution. (Clone mode, Asus on DVI, CRT on VGA, all snapshots displayed either a 1 or 2 frame difference.) Dunno if that’s thorough enough for your needs.

I’m going to buy the Asus Vh236H monitor. Will using HDMI or VGA make a difference as far as input lag is concerned ?

Awesome thread, just got the BenQ on Friday.

What do you guys think about this monitor??
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J6BIJ8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1MN3G3W9H7XHP02CQ1KH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Looks like its the same as the EVO monitor but its LED…am guessing that would proly give it a tiny bit more lag… but if its almost the same as the EVO monitor ill proly pick this up since its around the same price…

I thought Evo monitor was best atm, good to know that there are even better monitors out there… Is Benq XL2410T the best monitor atm for PS3 use???

The Evo monitor has never been best for performance, but has been best all-around when price and its wide use in tournaments is considered.

isnt it funny how a game that represents an old-school era such as sf4 actually needs or should be played on tube tv sets for no lag… lol…thats sick.

You could just see it now …36" SONY Trinitrons at all the future EVO’s

With all due respect, this isn’t a “what do you think of ____” thread. It’s not about guessing or assuming, and it’s not about further obscuring useful information by having every third post be somebody asking for details of one of the hundreds of models out there. This thread is about compiling actual information so all that won’t be necessary. If you don’t see test results posted, then consider “nothing” what people think about it thus far.

Do any of you know of some more TN sub 1 frame 27" monitors?

I have been looking for a 27" monitor with very low input lag, but other than user reviews that say “it feels fine to me” I cannot seem to find any with the actual stats.

Also the native resolution I need is 1920x1080.

Thanks.

No.

As an TC-P42S30 owner, I am now crying inside :’(

I am in the same situation. My best findings have been these:

Viewsonic VX2753mh-LED:

http://viewsoniceurope.com/uk/products/productspecs.php?id=312 (no formal lag stats)

Viewsonic VX2739wm:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vx2739wm.htm (9.4ms lag)

Asus VE278Q:

http://www.digitalversus.com/asus-ve278q-p357_10137_150.html (no formal lag stats)

I personally tried the VE278Q and noticed input lag (I currently use a BenQ E2400 HD which weigh in at around 7 - 8 ms average input lag). The VX2753mh-LED is my target screen but I cannot find any concrete stats for it.