Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (PS4, XB1, Switch, Steam)

The advantage of this over FightCade, I hope, will be it having a wider playerbase. Granted, I told my friend to hook up his FightCade if the console version falls through. lol

All this arcade perfect thing is kinda bullshit for tournaments…Do most of the people bitching even play the real arcade competitively anymore? I used to bring my head 2 head arcade cabs & its the same old ass 8 people coming to play ST. Dreamcast was good enough…360/PS3 was good enough…Supergun CPS2 is good enough but yet its the same old ass people coming to play & no new blood…No one cares because its old game that no one wants to really play during tournaments except for a select few.

Im excited for the online portion of this collection. HDR on the 360 blows aways GGPO/Fightcade, if they can somehow replicate that with these other games that would be awesome. Ultra SF2 was pretty awesome too except for no lobbies.

Yea capcom kind of shot themselves in the foot with this whole “arcade perfect” thing.

It won’t be and the 20 people in the whole world who cares and can tell the difference will scream the loudest.

Just let that shit function well and the online not suck and I’m all for this.

100% sure that they won’t be arcade perfect, and I’m also sure that most people won’t care. I presume that they’re going to be using the ROMs of these games that have been on the internet for years now, and most people under the age of 30 are more used to playing these ROMs and/or the old console versions of Street Fighter anyway.

I’ve even seen people begging Capcom to port Alpha 3 MAX as opposed to giving us the arcade Alpha 3, because in most people’s minds having more characters and modes is more important than having some arcade-perfect port.

Kinda fucked-up, isn’t it? We have all this WAY more powerful tech now, but it still can’t properly handle shit from the 90’s. Despite those systems’ components being available for pennies on the DIME these days, and us having more programming alternatives than you can shake an arcade stick at, we still can’t even do 1:1 ports of the software and emulate the hardware functions with the far more advanced hardware we have now? Look…I don’t want to say aliens were involved in the 90’s arcade and console industry…but…shrug

I was kinda hoping (for like 20 years now) Capcom would give SF3 the same treatment. They did it with the SF2 series, Alpha series, and Darkstalkers series. Pretty much all their big hand-drawn sprite series but ONE. Seriously feels like they’re just dropping the ball here.

Most casual Alpha fans remember the upgrades better than the arcade version. The arcade version only seems better for tournament players as that lets you do more things with V ISM and is what people played at the arcades. Upper MAX has pretty much every character from the SF2 and Alpha series so just objectively on a casual standpoint, they’re going to want that version. The console version had a lot of offline fluff like the dramatic battles and world tour mode as well

It’s good to see that they at least care for what competitive players want to some degree. Otherwise we’d be getting the Dreamcast port of A3 and they would call it a night. If it’s a pretty good port of arcade Alpha 3, people are going to be dropping matches all of the time. I can see all of the lobbies asking people to only play X or A/Z ism LOL.

This is great news. Although I don’t expect there to be any crossplay at least the game will bring a good chunk of people to play online.
I’d imagine Akuma is not going to be selectable in ranked matches for Super Turbo, like how they made Gill unavailable in 3SOE.

I hope they don’t let you ban certain characters from your lobbies like in 3SOE. Hosts come up with the dumbest combinations.

Capcom is still bitter about 3S.

It put their single biggest property in the coffin for nearly a decade

The game saw TWO rereleases since the original - once as a part of the Anniversary Collection in 2004, second time as 3SOE in 2011, 7 years after SFAC. And now is seeing a third rerelease another 7 years later.

They’re treating this game the worst way possible, like some sort of a stepchild, and only ride off the nostalgia of its characters

I hope not too, otherwise Blanka will be banned in every possible game due to people’s still-lingering PTSD from SF4.

I think you’re reading way too much into it. 3S has had a console release for every generation since the DC and is about to get another one. I doubt the heads of Capcom harbor some resentment for one of their products because it didn’t do well in the arcades 20 years ago.

People say a lot of stupid stuff about 3S.

3S came out in the arcades the exact same year that Alpha 3 did. Alpha 3 was a million seller on PS1 with a Greatest Hits case, so if anything Alpha 3 should have saved SF and Alpha 4 could have easily been a thing as Capcom has no problem making a million versions of one series. SF EX 3 came out in March of 2,000 and probably didn’t sell horribly, but that wasn’t enough either I guess. MVC2 and CVS2 definitely sold decently enough to show that there was still interest in Capcom 2d fighters. They just didn’t care anymore.

The only game that you could say “killed” Capcom fighters was Capcom Fighting Jam/Evolution as that started the 4 or so year period where no Capcom fighters came out. Anybody who says SF3 killed SF or Capcom fighters basically did not actually play fighting games during that period.

this feature is actually useful for practicing matchups.

Apropos of nothing- it would be nice if there were some sort of built-in pingtest for these games. There are a lot of people who play these games over wifi connections, especially on console (I’m looking at you, PSN SF5 players. Stop it). Would be nice if during the setup/option section players could see their network connection status and get info about it (you’re playing over wifi which is sub-optimal because XYZ; your upload speed is whack, are you uploading/streaming something; your upload speed is good but there’s jitter so it’s unstable etc).

Most people think that just because they have a fast download speed that they’re good to go, which isn’t necessarily true.

Is anyone actually going to play this online over just using fightcade that already has established communities?

If the alpha 3 port is decent, I’ll try to learn how to play it.

ST was on GGPO before HDR came out and that community had about 5 years of good play before thinning out. If we get cross-play between PC and PS4 like SFV (unlikely, but would be most excellent if it happened) that widens the playerbase significantly. That and Hyper Fighting is nearly unplayable on Fightcade, so a lot of CPS1 fans will be jumping on this.

Yes, especially since there are a lot of people who either don’t know about Fightcade or don’t care about it.

It’s gonna be a bit weird seeing how amazing SF2 The Final Challengers looks like on Switch, but realizing that it’ll go right back to normal when SF2 is in SF30th Edition