Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (PS4, XB1, Switch, Steam)

This collection will be more convenient and won’t run on an emulator that hasn’t been updated in years. Being on console and steam the communities can potentially be bigger.

Not really aliens but coders in those days did almost everything from scratch (custom functions in code/libraries/HW address hacks) and some of them even went to the extreme to create some in-house dev engine. Reverse engineering that is time consuming and is costly you either go Emulation or find the least troublesome code for our case for example DC ST which is mostly based off WinCE compatible code or PS2 code which does have modern tools to help port the code to other devices.

To add to this, code, especially with how it was done in those days (less reliance on APIs, more direct to metal stuff) is very sensitive and any miniscule changes can create huge differences. From what we do know about how Capcom used to code their games, this was very much the case. For example, Backbone confirmed that MvC2 was running on the same base code as ST, but with all sorts of extra things added on with “string and glue”.

Also, most arcade emulation efforts are focused on emulating a whole slew of games and systems (pretty easy when almost everything was running on a 68000 chip). The problem is that the same people doing this are less concerned with whether or not the CPS-2 or CPS-3 are running at slightly wrong clockspeeds than they are with getting a wide swath of arcade games to run.

I hope they add some filtering options to this collection, I really disliked the pixelated-blocky look on USF2 (when selecting Classic Style graphics). That may look good on old CRTs but not on my HD TV, not even on Switch’s 720P screen itself.

If it’s better online, then those established communities might just make the switch. The only thing holding them back could be the more appealing social setup of fightcade, but Discord is a pretty good substitute these days.

for what it’s worth, Fightcade 2 is currently in beta and uses an updated version of FBA.

3rd strike on switch bois

More like 3rd Strike on PS4. Finally.

You can play it through PS Now, sure, but ain’t nobody dealing with all that input lag. Especially in a fighter.

But with this online service that will require a separate smartphone app to create lobbies apparently. :expressionless:

On the other hand, I’ve seen Switch players tell me that they only play these games single-player anyway, plus it’d be easier to bring to parties and gatherings than a PS4 or whatever. So I guess it evens out.

The Switch app is strictly for communication with people on your friends list. If Capcom adds in lobbies, you’ll be able to set it up as Capcom formats it. In Ultra SFII, there are no lobbies but you can create a room and wait for challengers.

That still blows my mind that USF2 didn’t have lobbies. Didn’t Capcom pretty much invent the “quarter match lobby”?

People say to those that haven’t bought usf2 yet not to bother. But I got it for Xmas. I’m old skool and so I like it. But discovered a bit of a sour taste for people’s choice on ranked characters. V.ken no explanation needed. But seriously do people that rank up highly using him actually rate them self at this game? Without the shadow step crossover and op DP then they are average at best.
And then there’s akuma. I’m not so mad at him cos he’s still an OG. But what I hate is that they get an attacking player and play defensive for the win with air fireballs from distance followed with standing fireball. And because he falls faster than he did in HD remix, by the time you dealt with the second fireball the air one is coming and your hit trying to get close. One you Close in. They Jump back and repeat. You see when you do get close a lot of these players seem to panick and then warp back away from you.

I know the rank don’t really mean anything to some but there’s some up the board who don’t really belong there. My main losses is only ever to a v.ken or akuma. I’d be on 4000 points by now put me in the top 60 overall. But instead sit 235. Mostly from t.hawk who is not even my top 6 choice. And shotos even ran from him

Welcome to SRK.

Things will make sense in time.

I’m excited for this release, I miss playing some Third Strike online!

I haven’t touched a Street Fighter game in years, but I’ll be coming back when this game is released on Steam.

New info on Anniversary Collection. Seems these are straight direct ports of the arcade games. No extra modes. Essentially like playing an emu.

Arcade perfect is what was delivered and these look very good. I’m glad to see scanlines are available. Game Informer talked a Switch-exclusive tournament mode that uses multiple systems connected via wireless which guides players through bracket play. That seems cool. I’m just ready for the release date announcement.

1 Like

ST seems to be running at whack speed settings. It might be the video editing/framerate but I also think fireballs have weird collusion check 17:33 .

Not gonna be surprised if things are off. No reason to expect 100 percent emulation.

I’m going to be extremely picky and nitpick here. Seeing alpha three with the alpha 2 promotional art as the bezel is strange, seeing CE bezel art for world warrior was strange also wtf was the bezel for super turbo, wtf was the speed for super turbo. Sad to see changed guile’s stage. No cabinet artwork around the stick and buttons, or on the side of the cabinet? Would be cool if we could change cabinets to big blue or astro city. Nothing about this seems “perfect”, super duper lazy. I love the fact that i’ll be getting all of these games but come on man

I also wonder if CPS1 chain combos are still in their respective games